Forums

Topic: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Posts 181 to 200 of 242

Octane

@RogerRoger Hah!

The more I play, the more I think this is my type of game. And what's that?!? An EA game with unlockable skins?

Zeffo is a really cool planet so far. Some of the views are breathtaking. Combat feels good, there's a good amount of enemy variety so far. Good balance between empire dudes and random alien creatures. Visually it looks good. Though I'm playing in performance mode, the 60fps really helps this game. Can't wait to go back and explore the wannabe Mustafar.

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane Oh yeah, this is absolutely EA's apology tour, following the Battlefront II crisis (a game which they've gone above and beyond to fix, by the way; well worth a look-see nowadays, if competitive multiplayer or online co-op is your kinda thing).

The wannabe Mustafar... you mean Dathomir, right? Interesting take!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

DerMeister

It's funny that I find this thread at perfect timing- My uncle got this on PC today (he had it for Xbox, but it bricked). I've been watching him play it and he's had nothing but good things to say about it. It looks like something I'd enjoy myself, and I'll likely get it in time.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Bentleyma

This game was a big surprise to me. It sat in my backlog for ages and when I finally played it I wondered why I'd not played it sooner.

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

Octane

@RogerRoger Yeah, the volcano planet. I haven't been there, just my initial observations!

Octane

Octane

@RogerRoger Is Dathomir some end game nonsense? That place is a big nope for me lol

Octane

mookysam

@Octane It's one of the main planets, not the endgame location. There's a particularly frightful boss there that scared the crap out of me! You won't be able to explore it fully until much later though.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@Octane Yeah, like @mookysam said, it's just a planet. You'll know the endgame when it arrives; it's made pretty obvious that you're selecting the story's point of no return (not a gameplay one, as you're returned to wander and mop up collectibles post-credits).

Have you watched Star Wars: The Clone Wars or Star Wars: Rebels before, by the way?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@RogerRoger I've seen three or four episodes of clone wars. Too chaotic, and a bit too childish for my liking. But a friend of mine has watched it all, so I'm familiar with names like Ventress, and the night sisters. There's probably a bit of history with saw guerrera I missed out on, but oh well. It's all getting too complicated.

@RogerRoger @mookysam Yeah, the game allows you to go there, but the enemies feel a bit stronger than on the other planets. There's also no clear goal what I'm supposed to do there. So I'll just leave it until they bring it up again I think.

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane Fair enough! Well, if the story hasn't gotten you there already, then you're gonna love what Dathomir has in store. I was having fanboy conniptions at seeing it all portrayed in a realistic style but, had I landed there blind, I imagine I'd have been pretty taken aback.

Making It So Since 1987

Octane

I think I'm getting close to finishing it. I pretty much completed 4 planets at this point; and I'm back on Dathomir. No idea what will happen. I read that Rancors come from Dathomir, so maybe I get to fight one. Or maybe Darth Maul shows up, who knows! Pretty good game so far. Although it crashed on me once, and I've had a few annoying glitches, otherwise brilliant game. The bounty hunters are a pretty neat addition as well. I only wish you could scan them, and read up on them after defeating them. The game's database doesn't recognise them.

Octane

nessisonett

@Octane Yeah, the game’s technical issues did get on my nerves a bit but it’s just a fantastic game and the platinum’s really quite good if you keep on top of chests. If a sequel polished it technically and crafted a bounty hunter system similar to the last couple of Assassin’s Creed games then it could be even better!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Octane

@nessisonett I have got pretty much all the chests so far. That's what I'm going for at least. Gives me a reason to visit every site again, and find those bounty hunters (thinking about it, they're quite terrible at their job, because I'm always finding them, and not the other way around). I don't have all the blue force location thingies, but they don't count towards your completion I think.

Yeah, I'm curious to see where this will take me, but I'm enjoying it a lot. Sign me up whenever they do a Mandalorian game!

Octane

Octane

Finished the game! I fully expected another fight after the final battle. Little bit disappointing, oh well...

I also expected to encounter a Rancor on Dathomir at some point, missed chance!

Octane

Th3solution

@Octane Congratulations and glad you enjoyed it. I thought the final boss wasn’t as hard as Malicos. He was really tough for me. I came within a hair of turning down the difficulty level, but persevered on Jedi Knight and got him after several attempts. The last fight was a little easier, but still tough. And of course when Vader shows up, it’s just pure awesomeness.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Octane

@Th3solution Yeah, I started on Jedi Master, but I turned it down to Jedi Knight after a while. I wasn't having fun anymore. It's still challenging on Knight.

Malicos was easier I think. He was a bit slower and more susceptible to slow and force push. Parrying was also easier. I think I died twice during the last fight!

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane Saw your review in the other topic; glad to see you enjoyed the experience through!

I think fighting a rancor on Dathomir, as well as having a final duel with Vader, were deliberately avoided because both were overused in The Force Unleashed and its sequel. Rancors were the poster boys of the first game's God of War gameplay, and a lot of fans hated how underpowered and unthreatening Vader became after repeatedly handing him his butt. Creating the Gorgara bat-rancor helped put a fresh spin on the "fight a giant monster" sequence, whilst forcing players to flee Vader's wrath reinforces the Rogue One corridor scene and Disney's rehabilitation of the character's badassery.

I've mentioned this before, but the art book reveals that the original ending was supposed to feature the Grand Inquisitor instead of Vader. Whilst it would have made much, much more sense for him to appear behind Trilla, the marketing teams at EA and Disney obviously thought he wouldn't make enough of an impact (especially since EA went and put Vader in trailers a week after the game launched, spoiling the surprise for any latecomers or patient fans waiting for Christmas).

Anyway, nerd rambling aside, hurrah for the game! Here's hoping you enjoy Squadrons as much!

Making It So Since 1987

TheFrenchiestFry

I like to think the Vader duel was eschewed because it was meant to communicate how much of an iron fist the Empire had over the galaxy, and how intimidating it was as a force. If Cal inflicted any sort of damage on Vader or even bested him in combat, the threat level of the Empire would be brought way down in the context of the time period this game takes place in considering this is Vader in his prime

SW Rebels suffered from this problem greatly considering even though the Empire was supposedly the dominant force in the galaxy during that time period, they were bested literally every single time by Ezra and his compatriots which made them look like a joke of an antagonistic force

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

Octane

@RogerRoger I had no idea that was a thing in those other games. Never played those!

It feels like a sequel is inevitable. So maybe we'll get a more fitting boss fight in the sequel. I have no idea what happens to the grand inquisitor, and if he already dies in one of the canon media. If not, perfect fit!

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane Oh, sorry! They're kinda old now, so I figured I'd be safe. Apologies for the inadvertent spoilers, especially since I'd recommend the first game, at least.

And yeah, we're definitely getting a sequel (it's been all-but-confirmed). The placement of Fallen Order in the timeline gives it a good decade before it hits Rebels, which is plenty of time to continue exploring the Inquisitorius (especially now that Vader knows Cal, Cere and, as far as he's concerned, a holocron are out there; it'd make sense for him to escalate his response).

@TheFrenchiestFry There's a bit of that, I'd agree. It's a difficult trade-off because there's great mileage in making the Imperial boots-on-the-ground grunts (Stormtroopers, officers and the like) comedically inept. It helps explain how ragtag rebels can win, as well as softens the slaughter in what is supposedly a family-friendly franchise. In the same way you'd ever doubt a B1 Battle Droid could achieve any kind of victory on its own, I always saw it as a numbers game; to achieve dominance, the Empire just sends more of itself to trouble spots, and overwhelms the situation.

Making It So Since 1987

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.