Forums

Topic: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Posts 161 to 180 of 242

Black_Swordsman

I'm going through the tombs on Zeffo at the moment, I think that, whilst I have never been hugely into architecture or sci-fi, exploring the ancient architecture of the tombs on this (albeit fictional) planet is doing me a world of good, great puzzles, great combat, all-round decent game. The definition of the word 'fun' lies within.

N.B Saying all that, I am currently stuck on the spheres puzzle, looking around for other spheres to push in order to leave the tomb on Zeffo, gah!

Edit: I made it through the tomb(s). Got the The Obstacle is the Way trophy. Woohoo!

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

RogerRoger

@Draco_V_Ecliptic If you dig the game's visual flair and "fantastical-yet-grounded" art style, then I can highly recommend its art book. There are some gorgeous pieces within, and its deconstruction of the design process would be of interest to somebody such as yourself.

Glad you're enjoying it as much as you are, and congratulations on escaping that puzzle! That was a universal progress-pauser for many, and is the game's biggest head-scratcher, for sure.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Black_Swordsman

@RogerRoger Ah good, glad it's out of the way then, and thanks for recommending the art book.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

RogerRoger

@Draco_V_Ecliptic No problem! You've still got some architectural eye candy to come, so I really hope you continue to enjoy it right through 'til the credits.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

Maybe people already asked this. Two things...

• Not the biggest Star Wars fan (I only really liked IV and V), is that nessecary? Or will I join this game on its own merits?
  • Does this game have a lot of padding, or is it moment to moment fun?
  • Would you call this game 'simple fun', or is more cinematic/story focused.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried The game is equal parts gameplay and story, so your tolerance for Star Wars might be tested if you're not a fan, because these are Star Wars characters undertaking a Star Wars plot steeped in Star Wars lore. If the gameplay hooks you in, you probably won't mind as much. Depends if it's more of a general "this isn't my thing" or a focused "I hate this franchise" perspective you have; with the former, you'd be alright, but having the latter is probably a dealbreaker.

Some might call its backtracking of certain maps a form of padding, because it's a Metroidvania with no fast-travel options. There is plenty to be distracted by en route, but the choice is yours whether to engage with it or not. If you stop and try every door, or explore every tomb, you can disconnect yourself from the ongoing narrative for hours, but you can also keep things moving and clear the story in around twelve hours. Nothing will be blocked off if you do; you'll be able to return to all the important locations post-credits and tidy up the maps, if you want to.

If you're on that kinda playthrough, chasing the end, then it can feel a bit Uncharted in Space at times and maybe, coupled with a lower difficulty setting, you could even call it the simplest of fun. The cinematic set-piece moments are spectacular, but there's plenty of traditional gaming to be done in between them; again, it's really what you make of it, and where your mood carries you each session.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@Kidfried Absolutely agree with @RogerRoger who said it well. I’ll only add that the game is pretty much completely new characters and is a true side story, so even the most rabid of Star Wars fans are learning and seeing these characters and storylines for the first time. The backdrop lore and universe is where a knowledge of the series will serve you well, but there is a little bit of exposition to explain where they drop you into the Star Wars timeline. However, I could see someone who is not experienced with the movies might initially be a little bit lost or maybe apathetic about the conflict at hand. As with most franchise games, there are a few nods to the movies that may go over your head, but honestly I really don’t remember many of those even.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution That's a great point, that the characters are 99% new. It's a testament to how well they've integrated themselves into my love for Star Wars that I overlooked that. They've definitely become part of the furniture in my headspace!

And I agree, even though some of the story's major moments and themes are embedded by events first seen in the movies, they're presented well enough to still be separately appreciated.

Making It So Since 1987

render

I started playing through this last week. Embarrassingly I ended up dropping the difficulty down from where I'd normally play as for some reason I really struggle with parry on this game. It's like you have to hit it so damn early that I just can't time it right so end up feeling like the button isn't working. I'm sure it is though and it's just my ageing reflexes.

I'm not a massive Star Wars fan but do enjoy the original trilogy and some of the spin offs, but I'm really enjoying the game even with the frustration mentioned above. Even the exploration hasn't got boring yet but will see if that changes as I'm only about 6 - 8 hours in, and as mentioned above the characters are all new and that's great as it feels like you don't have to invest it catching up on loads of films / TV series that you may not have watched yet.

render

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Yeah as far as Fallen Order’s narrative goes, I can only recall the cameos of Darth Vader, Saw Gerrera, and Tarrful as being previously known from movies, however I think I probably misspoke about even rabid fans not knowing these characters because upon further review online, Ninth Sister and Second Sister did exist before in the EU comics.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

I really like movies IV and V. I think the world building and the story presented in those movies is fantastic, but after that I never saw another Star Wars movie that felt as special to me. Most of them I just see as decoctions of those two first movies, with only slight variations on the same themes.

If anyone has enjoyed the later movies: good for you. Don't mean to start a discussion on whether the new movies are great or not. I totally get why those movies appeal to people. It's just not enough for me personally.

@render @Th3solution @RogerRoger You all make very compelling cases. Sounds like it's pretty detached from the movies, which is great, and the promise of a popcorn Soulsborne... well, let me say that is appealing. Yes, even though I have so many other games to play.

Kidfried

TheFrenchiestFry

@Th3solution Actually Saw Gerrera was introduced in The Clone Wars

He didn't make any movie appearances until Rogue One. Pretty sure he also played the character in the game too

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

Black_Swordsman

@render Apparently, according to @Th3solution, I am somewhere beyond the halfway point, I am greatly enjoying this game, and thinking thus, I find it compelling to expound at length and offer you a disquisition on this particular foray into the Star Wars franchise.

The last 1/3 of the game is canonical, and according to a friend who made it further than I have, absolutely excellent, worth reaching even if you don't like the rest of the game that much, and, hey, if you do, well ,then, it's super excellent dudes!. I loved the puzzles, even though I struggled somewhat on Zeffo a couple of times and had to resort to using a guide to complete them. It is also easy to get lost, which can be a bummer when it feels like you are going around in circles. But with just a big of exploration and a healthy dose of navigation, you can be sure you'll find the right track in the end.

Where are you up to in the game now? (No spoilers please in case you're ahead of me!)

RogerRoger

@Th3solution The comic which introduced the Second Sister was part of the pre-release hype for Fallen Order. Whilst it's true that the Imperial Inquisitorius existed beforehand (it's the main threat during the first two seasons of Star Wars: Rebels) and that the Ninth Sister had previously been a sort-of "background heavy" in some comics, we hadn't seen all of them and Respawn saw the opportunity to fill in some of the gaps. Trilla is a completely original character to the game.

Originally, the final surprise cameo of the game wasn't Vader, but rather the Grand Inquisitor, the primary villain from Rebels played by Jason Isaacs. He's mentioned several times in-game, but somebody in a brand meeting successfully argued that Vader would be more recognisable to the audience (even though the Grand Inquisitor's presence would've made way more sense).

Sorry, nerd knowledge. I don't even read the comics!

Making It So Since 1987

render

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I don't think I'm as far as you. I'm just at the end of the Zeffo tombs so got the Everything is Connected trophy for completing the tomb of Miktrull. I really enjoyed the puzzles in the tombs and felt they were actually better than a lot of the ones from the latest Tomb Raider games, although still enjoyed those too. I also admit I got stuck at a few points but managed to muddle on without resorting to a guide, mainly because of my other half asking questions about what I'd tried

I've also got more into the combat having sussed a few things out but I'm still pretty bad at parrying. A few times I've rested at a meditation point just so I can respawn some enemies to get a bit more XP and then some skill points. Now I've got a few more skills and some more force abilities I'm finding combat more immersive. Actually it's a bit like Control where when I'd got further into that and got some more abilities it just became an entirely different game and was a load more fun. I guess it must get even better with even more of the skills unlocked?

render

Th3solution

@RogerRoger @TheFrenchiestFry
Interesting. Now I kinda wish I’d been watching the shows beforehand.

I boot up a couple episodes of Clone Wars every so often but I’m not very far into the series still.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution It takes some doing to break through those early seasons, and they're not for everybody. Once you get hooked (if you get hooked, of course) then you'll know it.

Despite being a fanboy, I kinda wish Disney would stop trying to interconnect everything. I hate feeling like I'm missing out on pieces of this huge puzzle, and don't wanna have to do homework before trying to enjoy a Star Wars story. Wookieepedia has been a lifesaver at times!

Making It So Since 1987

Octane

First impressions.

I played for around two or three hours. It's a good start. I'm eager to go back, and explore some more, which is a good sign.

My game definitely glitches out during the Jedi training section where you learn how to wall run. I had to reset the game, because it wouldn't allow me to jump and stick to the wall.

And I guess the main character has a very punchable face. At least his personality is deep as a sheet of paper. So there isn't much to dislike either.

Octane

Octane

The "loading sequence" between planets is brilliant. And the fact that you're free to move around while the ship goes in hyperspace is a great addition.

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane There were a couple moments when Greez said "okay, get in your chair, it's time to land" and I'd snap at him that it was too soon (even before Photo Mode got patched in).

Making It So Since 1987

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.