Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,981 to 2,000 of 2,111

johncalmc

@nessisonett I have played Disco Elysium. I haven't played VA-11 HALL-A but it's on my list to pick up when I spy it on offer, and I haven't played Coffee Talk but I do actually own it - just haven't started it yet. Never heard of Necrobarister but I'm going to check that one out and see what it's all about.

johncalmc

Twitter:

LtSarge

@johncalmc So I know I'm about a week late for this, but if you're still looking for a phenomenal visual novel (although I don't know how it compares to 13 Sentinels and TOKYODARK), I highly recommend checking out Steins;Gate if you haven't seen the anime already (like most people I know have, lol). The game is pretty much just a visual novel, there's no major gameplay interactions. The most you'll do is bring up your phone and answer texts or call someone as well as make choices during certain parts of the game. The story and characters are just brilliant, the balance between humour and seriousness is just right. You spend a lot of time getting to know the characters as the story unfolds in unexpected ways. I genuinely haven't cared this much about the characters in a video game in a very long time. The game is simply well-written and unique. Never played anything quite like it, so I highly recommend checking it out.

LtSarge

sorteddan

Currently in my shopping cart waiting for me to hit purchase, thanks to the new sales, are: Hyper Light Drifter; Sky Force Reloaded; Crypt of the Necrodancer; Celeste; Dragons Crown Pro.
Anybody who had played any of these got anything good, bad or indifferent to tell me whether I should buy/avoid or just and opinions or comments.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Th3solution

@Sorteddan I can only comment on Dragon’s Crown — and I played the vanilla version on Vita, not the Pro one. I’d say it’s a solid 7. I played through with one character and I don’t think I was quite enamored enough to try all the characters, but it has a solid framework of combat and lite rpg. Of course the art is the star of the show, if you’re into that kind of thing. It borders on the salacious with the Amazon and the Sorceress, but if you’re not playing it with your mom, then you should be okay. 😅. You just have to wonder why all the female characters don’t have chronic back problems, if you know what I mean.
I’d recommend it if you like fantasy rpg based 2D side scrolling beat ‘em up action games.

I’m curious about Hyper Light Drifter and Celeste as well.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

banacheck

I highly recommend Void Bastards especially seeing it's on sale until the 1/9/21 for £12 odd base game & £13 odd base game with DLC. I tried it on GamePass really like so brought it with the DLC for my PS4 Pro. I am sure some ex-Bioshock devs work on Void Bastards, it's that type of game first person shooter with instead of the abilities in Bioshock you have gadgets & the ability to upgrade you're weapons & abilities for different weapon & gadget effects.. The graphics are Borderlands like with great sound and houmours voice acting, with a science-fiction out in space setting. It's s roguelike but if you've never played a roguelike I wouldn't let it put you off, this game has a ton of replayability. It's a brilliant game that blends different gameplay mechanics really well, like Bioshock like FPS, RPG elements & choosing you're own path for different benefits.

Edited on by banacheck

banacheck

LtSarge

Since I've already bought most of the games I want to play on PS4, I've been trying to expand my horizons a bit to find more titles to experience that I don't know much about. One of those is Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen and the only thing I know is that the game is kinda like a Souls game and that there are a lot of people who love it. What makes it so good compared to other games and is it hard like a Souls title? And also, is it worth getting for €15?

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Thrillho

@LtSarge It’s not really Souls like to be honest. You do have big enemy encounters which are a highlight of the game as you can climb them and target weak points. But there aren’t particularly big boss battles and most enemies are beatable at the right level (I spent ages to beat one enemy when I was under levelled just to prove a point.. it wasn’t worth the time it took!)

The story is a bit cheesy and the voice acting almost hilarious but the combat mechanics really are cool. Plus, the pawn system is really unique where you create a small NPC character who follows you and joins you in combat. You can also recruit others online who can have knowledge of areas and enemies you don’t have (from what I remember).

I really enjoyed it as a PS+ freebie back in the dying days of the PS3 so it has been a long time since I played it. While it does have its flaws, it is still a fun game.

Thrillho

Th3solution

@LtSarge To piggyback on @Thrillho , Dragon’s Dogma is a fantastic game, and not really like Dark Souls except it’s fantasy based and has dragons. I don’t remember it being all that difficult either. In fact, I went on a fantasy binge back in PS3 after playing Skyrim and I wanted more of that genre so picked up Dark Souls at the recommendation of the worker at GameStop and I didn’t make it past 5 or so hours before I jumped off and
then went on to instead play DD and Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning in quick succession and loved them both. So the difficulty shouldn’t deter you.

The pawn system is really fantastic, and it’s a fun asynchronous online wrinkle that add to the uniqueness of the game. Definitely recommend it. This is based on the base PS3 game, I didn’t ever go back to complete all the extra Dark Arisen added content and I don’t know how the PS4 port holds up, but I’m sure it’s most likely an improvement.

The game is pretty long, as I recall. The main story isn’t probably too bad but it’s got an openness to it and it seems like I poured 80+ hours into it and didn’t even do it all.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LtSarge

@Thrillho @Th3solution Really enjoyed reading your thoughts about the game, especially the part about the pawn system, which I had no idea about. It sounds really interesting! I'm definitely adding the game on my to-buy list for the foreseeable future as I've been wanting to buy more titles for my collection seeing as how I'm completing games faster than I'm buying them. Not gonna lie, I've been actually getting worried that I won't have many games to play at this rate, lol. Anyway, I appreciate your informative comments about the game!

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Thrillho

@LtSarge I’d be interested in your thought if/when you get to it, particularly if it does still hold up today.

Thrillho

HallowMoonshadow

Thought I'd add my thoughts even though you're already pretty sold on Dragon's Dogma @LtSarge thanks to Thrillho & Sol.

It's not very souls like as the others stated aside from it being a Japanese take on western medieval fantasy. The DLC content Dark Arisen/Bitterblack Isle is a lot grimmer and grimey in atmosphere (& harder) so that might be where more the comparisons come from? And all the Berserk references that are in Dragon's Dogma like the souls games as well 😄

The base game can be quite tough on the hard difficulty setting and with it being open world if you adventure out far enough you can get your butt handed to you by higher level enemies if you aren't prepared!

The day night system the game has is pretty neat. In the day you might find some wolves in one area whereas during the night it might be an ogre pack there instead. Plus it's pitch black at night so you really do need your precious lantern with you to illuminate your surroundings.

Fast travel is rather limited in the game with only the main town and the starting village having fast travel spots (with you needing an item as well (Though I think you're given an infinite use fast travel item in this version)) but as you go along you do get items that allow you to set up your own fast travel points. The map isn't huge though from what I remember so it shouldn't be too bad?

The combat's fun like the others have said with a monster hunter-esque flair to the bigger monsters that you can climb on with specific weaknesses and ways to get special items off them for attacking certain parts.

There's 3 starting classes for your character & pawn to chose from and then six other classes you can change into (Pawns can't become the hybrid classes) once you get past lvl 10 (I think?) that you can switch into at the main city whenever you like with purchasable skills, buffs and the likes to customise as you want.

The story's kinda inconsequential but it then weirdly comes together at the end and explains itself fairly well (And how it does the final boss in New Game+ is fun as well from what I recall).

I really like this game if you didn't get that by now. I played the PS3 version a LOT.

The PS4/Xbox port is just a bump to 60FPS (I think?) and resolution up to 1080p from what I recall so it's nothing too fancy.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

LtSarge

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy It definitely sounds like it will be a good time! Seems like most of you have played the PS3 version so it's going to be interesting to play the PS4 version and share my experience with that one. Really looking forward to playing it now!

LtSarge

sorteddan

Perusing the current sales I find myself tempted to pick up both Shady Part of Me and The Last Campfire for some emotive, narrative driven puzzle solving type action. Now I will probably get them regardless but just wondering if anyone here has played them or have anything positive or otherwise to say about them?

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

LtSarge

So I've been contemplating buying some games in the Halloween sale and one I'm interested in getting is Manhunt. I've never experienced this series before and the first game seems like it could be rather fun. It's also only €9. Has anyone played it and would recommend it?

LtSarge

Nechromanthys

Hello,
I'm considering to buy a driving wheel during black friday sales.
What games do you recommend? Please one line description as i'm not used to racing games.
During old PS2 time i was fanatic of burnout. There is burnout paradise remastered. Although would a wheel be worth for this game?
Gran turismo cross my mind about wheel, but (back in PS1 era) i felt it was too much picky with my lack of driving precision and i felt lost in the deep customisation.
Colin mcrae was another one i've briefly played on PS1 but my car always fall apart and never had enough time for all repairs.
Briefly also played need for speed on PS2, but prefering burnout all the way.
That's all about my driving games.
Ideally i would like to find a game that exploit a wheel, without being too much paranoid.
Thank you

Nechromanthys

Thrillho

@Nechromanthys I picked up Need For Speed: Payback a while ago (I think it might even have been a PS+ freebie) and I had a great time with it.

It's essentially "Fast and Furious: The Game" with an utterly ridiculous plot and some quite hammy acting but the different race modes and open world gameplay really worked well. Lots of cars to buy and customise for the different race modes too. I bet it costs next to nothing now too.

Thrillho

Th3solution

@TheBrandedSwordsman I haven’t played either of the Ni No Kuni games. I’ve heard they are both good JRPGs, especially the first one. I think maybe they remastered the first game and ported it to PS4 so it might be worth starting there, although I have no idea if there is any carry over storyline or anything. I do get the feeling the games are very JRPG in the sense of lots of leveling and battles and story and pretty long games. It seems like one of them was criticized for excessive grinding, but I’m not sure. Perhaps someone has a better understanding of the games and their appeal. It seems like the two games play differently and some prefer the first game and some prefer the second and may be that the second game is easier, which might make it better if it’s not a genre you play a lot.

The thought came to me, have you played any Yakuza games? They are beat-em-ups and story based on the Japanese mafia. They have a dedicated following. Yakuza 0 is a good intro game which I played but I never did finish. Not that I wasn’t enjoying it, but it’s a pretty long game with a lot of side quest content and I just never got through. It has a difficulty slider so can be played on easy if it is too difficult. The combat is pretty fun and the story is really quirky and yet moving at the same time with interesting characters. It’s not English dubbed though, so has to be played with Japanese dialog and English subtitles.

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution I do think Ni No Kuni 2 is easier than the first game, from what I've read online, so that's where I'll be diving in, in an effort to avoid any serious grinding! But yeah, should be fun. I'm not really into beat-em-up games, I prefer my video game violence to be done sans fists. Sword and board for me all day long.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

TraCuz-

@Th3solution @TheBrandedSwordsman

Hey what's up you two!! I haven't been too active in the forums these past few months, how have y'all been?

Currently Playing:

Rainbow 6: Siege, Kingdom Hearts 2 (1st time), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

PSN: TraCuz-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic