Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 2,101 to 2,111 of 2,111

Ravix

@Th3solution ayee. And as for Skyrim, I might be still playing this next year at this rate 😭🤣 last time I played I was about to pick up the main quest again, after deviating for a while after climbing the throat of the world, to do more local whiterun quests, and then random exploring and bounty hunting stemming from wherever those quests took me, except as I was about to pick up the main quest again, I randomly deviated as I thought I'd better visit the Jarl of Falkreath who'd sent me a letter, and to put another town on the map, pick up more bounties at the taverns etc, as I'd only got to a couple of towns so far. I then ended up tracking down a dog 😆 "ah, a quick side quest on my way to do whatever the Jarl summoned me for" I then followed said dog 😂😂 long story long, it now wants me to travel to the absolute furthest part of the map from my current location, and I have no fast travel points set up anywhere near there, as I'd been travelling and expanding my range in a logical manner. This damn game 😂

So now next time I play, I'll have to make my way around the west of the map, complete the Falkreath quests and bounties I picked up, that will then lead me about a third of the way to where the dog and his "buddy" want me to go.

But then the Jurgen Windcaller dungeon is kind of on the way, so I don't know if I'll jump back to the main quest yet, or finish what I'm now doing, possibly running in to a bucket load more quests and bounties on my journey to the far north west 😂😂😂 at least it fits my RP, as a former wandering mercenary warrior and part time bounty hunter, who was sneaking back to Skyrim to build a more normal life for himself, but then dragon stuff happened and I slipped back into my old ways to earn the coin I'd need to start that new life instead of setting up as a smith or whatever, and also deal with the new dragon stuff while I'm at it.

This game, I love it 🤣

'Tis a ladder

Th3solution

@Ravix Haha! Yeah that sounds about right. I was obsessed with Skyrim for a while (back in 2012… yikes!) and during my post-Skyrim infatuation with other dragon-based fantasy games, nothing quite lived up to it. Although there was a few good ones, namely Dragon’s Dogma and Dragon Age: Inquisition. In fact, that’s what took me toward trying Dark Souls is when I went to GameStop and asked the worker there for another game like Skyrim he pointed me toward Dark Souls. After a few hours I bailed on as it was nothing like Skyrim except it had dragons and a fantasy medieval setting. And here I am, now finally getting back to it (and really enjoying it) all these years later!

But back on the subject of recommendations, I do endorse Dragon’s Dogma, as it’s probably the best of the bunch from my memory. Playing it now would probably require some adjustment to the PS3 era game mechanics, but the PS4 port is probably fairly tolerable from that standpoint. Another one to stick in your memory for a raining day maybe.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

oliverp

Its funny how Skyrim still seems very relevant after all these years. Not saying its a bad thing.

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

MidnightDragonDX

Thinking of doing Octopath Traveler II for my 100th platinum (yes, I'm one of those)...any good? I'd play it on PS5, but I don't have one yet and I won't until next month.

Edited on by MidnightDragonDX

MidnightDragonDX

RogerRoger

@Th3solution So yeah, I think you'd do okay with the Mafia games. Having said that, I've only played the Definitive Edition remake and Mafia III (sans DLC) so I'm not an authority on the series. Mafia III features a surprising degree of flexibility in its potential outcomes, and had a much more compelling protagonist and story as a result. I mean, you're still participating in underworld activity regardless, but you do get to have some influence over how and why, and that's noteworthy.

Definitive Edition is a lot more linear, it being a remake of an older game an' all, but its protagonist is understandable, if not entirely relatable, and his enemies deserve what's coming to them. I never felt uncomfortable whilst playing, put it that way, and there's a moral element to its events, but it was definitely more of an "interactive movie" in terms of its story and player participation.

The biggest draw (for me, at least) was the historical accuracy and immersion it offers. Same reason I really enjoyed L.A. Noire (another game with a questionable protagonist bucking the trend).

Find 'em for the right price and you could do a lot worse. I think that, if nothing else, they'd be interesting to you as period piece thought experiments. Obviously, I can't speak about Mafia II and so, if you did get the trilogy as a bundle, you'd have to let me know how it shakes out.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@StripedTomato I can highly reccomend The Pathless. There is not much in terms of combat, but the way you traverse the world feels ace. I really liked the art style and the soundtrack is phenomenal. A nice change of pace from what I normally play.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

sorteddan

@StripedTomato
The Pathless is fantastic, I absolutely loved my time with it. I was also initially hesitant based on reviews I'd read about the traversal methods but it's hard to describe how fluid it becomes so it's understandable how reviews couldn't really describe it. I would certainly recommended giving it a go if you're still on the fence.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

LtSarge

Destiny: The Collection is on sale now on the PS Store for €20. That includes the base game, all four DLCs and a level 40 character boost. Do you guys think it's worth getting?

I'm not interested at all in Destiny 2 because I don't like its F2P model and it got rid of levels. I played it for a bit a while back and I couldn't get into it at all. However, I have very fond memories of playing Destiny 1's beta on PS4 back when I got my PS4 in 2014. I really enjoyed my time with the game but sadly I didn't buy it. I do really want to play the first game now though.

My plan is to play the game solo and just go through the story. Although I'm unsure how the game is structured given its MMORPG nature. Would that even work then? If I need to grind, couldn't I just use the level 40 character boost and skip all the grinding?

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

JohnnyShoulder

@LtSarge I've played both games solo and don't recall having to grind. So if it was there it would have been minimal. And there was one short section in the 2nd game when you are forced to matchmake. Of course, that game will have changed since i played it a couple of years back.

I really enjoyed both games though, the shooting and atmosphere felt good but it does get it a bit samey in places. There is also quite a lot of lore to get your head round.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

LtSarge

@JohnnyShoulder That's good to hear! Did you also play Destiny 1's DLCs?

Out of curiosity, which of the two Destiny games did you like the most?

LtSarge

JohnnyShoulder

@LtSarge My memory is a little foggy of the game at this point, but I think i played some of the dlc but not all of it.

I probably preferred the 2nd game, as I was massively hyped for the first game and was disappointed when it first came out. It was better when I played it again at a later date.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic