Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 2,001 to 2,020 of 2,111

Th3solution

@TheBrandedSwordsman Do let me know how you like NNK2 if you do give it a shot. It’s a series that I occasionally get curious about.
And fair enough on the lack of interest for the fisticuffs. Although you can pick up things like nearby bicycles and traffic cones to bludgeon your enemies with. 😂

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@TraCuz- Hey, bud — doing alright! Just tying to survive Christmas and New Years. Going to be doing maybe some mobile gaming for the next week or two and then jump into some new games soon.
How about you? What have you been playing?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

TraCuz-

@Th3solution I hear ya there Sol! What mobile games piqued your interest? And you know where I've been! Playing the universally acclaimed FFXIV! I really can't stress how incredible this game is, and the latest expansion Endwalker is no exception, with how insanely cohesive it is by weaving in previous story arcs and characters. I've been thinking of writing up something huge for the User Impressions thread, but it may be a while.

Currently Playing:

Rainbow 6: Siege, Kingdom Hearts 2 (1st time), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

PSN: TraCuz-

Th3solution

@TraCuz- Oh yeah; I’m scared to try FF14 out of sheer concern that it would take over my life and I’d never end up playing anything else 😅. Did I see that they had to shut down new subscription purchases because the servers were too full already? I thought I saw something like that.

As for my mobile gaming, I am planning to get a Switch finally and maybe dip my toe into the Ninty market, mostly to use it for handheld gaming. I’ll probably start with BotW or Mario Odyssey or Metroid Dread or Mario + Rabbids or KOTOR or Fire Emblem 3 Houses or Xenoblade Chronicles or… 😅

TraCuz-

@Th3solution Haha that's awesome, basically you're telling me you want the whole catalog xD? You're gonna love your Switch, and any of those are amazing choices.

You are absolutely correct, it will completely take over xD. But I'll be that influence that says you should try it! Well....when you're able to make a new account haha. Indeed they are currently not selling the game, and new accounts cannot be made with free trials.

Currently Playing:

Rainbow 6: Siege, Kingdom Hearts 2 (1st time), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

PSN: TraCuz-

Black_Swordsman

@TraCuz- Yeah not too much, focusing on jazz guitar much more than gaming these days. And you?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution I have , you might be interested to know, just started sneakily playing Kena on the dl, I saw that you were interested in it when you were talking to the colonel, and that re-piqued my interest in it, having seen it a while ago and forgotten about it. It looks easy enough so far but I wanted to wait until I had beaten the first boss and got to grips with the platforming mechanics before I started posting about it on here. I can keep you updated on it if you want.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Th3solution

@TheBrandedSwordsman Oh, nice! That does look like a good one so let me know how it goes. I plan to play it eventually. It supposedly has some tough bosses.

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution Ok cool, I'll keep you updated then. Are you still planning on playing DeS when you get back from your Christmas holiday travelling?

Th3solution

@TheBrandedSwordsman I look forward to reading about you’re playthrough. And yeah, I hope to start Demon’s Souls soon once the travel is over and things calm down. Just as long as nothing else comes up first.

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman ooh, I picked it up the other day too. I’ll be keen to read your impressions on it... I’ve heard it can be surprisingly tough at points, so as long as you know that a few of the bosses may take a few attempts going in, hopefully it won’t be too much of a shock.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@TheBrandedSwordsman Having recently completed Kena, I can confirm that a couple of the bosses are tough. But you can always drop the difficulty down to no penalty.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

Moving over here to avoid detailing the trophy thread…

Keith_Zissou wrote:

@Th3solution @colonelkilgore I heartedly recommend Oxenfree, I really enjoyed it, one of the more pleasant surprises this year. Lovely visuals and pretty chill.

Can I expect similar experiences with those other titles you mentioned Sol? I may have to seek some more out.

@Keith_Zissou Yeah, Oxenfree is a pleasant surprise. It’s got it’s issues, but it’s remarkably well voice acted, and has a compelling enough story and a really interesting art style.

And hmmmm…. the closest of those I mentioned might just be 13 Sentinels. I say this without having finished the game, but I have felt a similar vibe while playing it. The difference is the length and complexity of narrative with 13 Sentinels, where as Oxenfree is a little more straightforward. Both have superficial dialogue options which affect conversations but I think don’t necessarily give large differences in the grand scheme of things. And 13S is distinctly Japanese feeling vs Oxenfree’s more Western flavor. And of course 13S has the whole combat mode which is completely missing from OF.

So it depends what the aspects of Oxenfree are that you enjoyed. If it’s the chill and refreshing take on the gaming experience with a good story, then you should mostly get that with 13S, so long as you don’t mind a small anime flair to your narrative.

I’m unsure about whether Danganronpa and Zero Escape would click with you based on just the simple enjoyment of another narrative style game like Oxenfree. They are much closer to true Visual Novels where it is like reading an interactive comic book for large sections of the time and then puzzle solving intermixed. In the case of Danganronpa it’s playing mini games while simultaneously solving murder trials, and in Zero Escape it’s lots of narrative exposition and story, intermixed with escape room style puzzles and a little more emphasis on actual branching pathways in the story. Lots of Japanese style eccentricity fill both these games, especially Danganronpa. But the storyline, mystery, commentary, and structure of both games is fantastic and way more than what you’ll get from other narrative heavy types of games like this. And I probably wouldn’t refer to either as a ‘chill’ game, but it’s mostly because of the intense storyline rather than any challenge from the gameplay (although there is some challenging aspects to the gameplay too).

I’d say look into any of them, but 13 Sentinels might feel closer. There’s also a game reminiscent of Oxenfree, at least at face value, called Night in the Woods and I’ve been meaning to play it. It’s on sale right now and maybe I should grab it, but it’s supposed to be really great too.

JohnnyShoulder

@Keith_Zissou Another vote for Oxenfree from me. I don't play many narrative heavy games, but the closest games I've played to it is the Telltale games, but played from a 2D perspective. I think a sequel is incoming, so am looking forward to that.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LtSarge

So I just became interested in the Hitman series as I've never played it before and was wondering where the best place is to start. I have the Hitman HD Trilogy on PS3, which contains Hitman 2, Contracts and Blood Money. I think I tried Hitman 2 once but it didn't grab me because it felt kinda overwhelming having to go through such open levels. I feel like I need that one game that will help ease me into the series and I've heard that Hitman Absolution is a fairly linear experience. Do you guys think that would be a good starting point for me?

I'm also interested in delving into the newer games on PS4 eventually and I'd like to get some clarification on how those work in terms of the levels. I've heard that if you buy Hitman 2, you can play all the levels from Hitman 1, and if you buy Hitman 3, you can play all the levels from Hitman 1 and 2. So does that mean I should only buy Hitman 3 or do I need to buy all three games if I want to experience all the levels?

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge Absolution’s kinda massively pants and also just throws you into plot reliant on Blood Money. I’d say just start with Blood Money, it’s the best classic game in the franchise and has less annoying levels.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@LtSarge With respect to Ness's opinion there, I love Absolution. It's hideously dark and twisted and can be really, really uncomfortable to play at times, but it's singular in its design, atmosphere and vision and, as one game in such a long-running series, shouldn't be attacked for trying something a bit different. Its gameplay also introduces a lot of the elements you'll be using on PS4, when you get around to the World of Assassination trilogy, so I'd recommend giving it a shot (for the right price, of course).

That being said, Ness and I agree with regards Blood Money. It has a proper tutorial, and its levels aren't just vast, sprawling sandboxes; they're designed really well, to allow for experimentation and mayhem without getting lost and confused. It's a huge improvement over its predecessors.

And yes, if you buy Hitman III on PS4, you'll be able to purchase content packs which unlock all the previous levels from Hitman: The Complete First Season and Hitman 2. Might not be the cheapest way to do it, but it's better than the headache of trying to make sure you've got all the right versions of all the right games in order to access everything, and is great value for money regardless. If you're unsure about whether you want the entire trilogy, you can always buy Hitman: The Complete First Season separately, and you'll still be able to carry over your progress to either of the other games.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

@nessisonett @RogerRoger Thanks for the replies. I'd honestly feel more comfortable starting out with Absolution so that I can focus on learning the basics before attempting levels that are more open and complex. So I think I'll play that first, then Blood Money, then I might check out the other games in the collection or jump into the World of Assassination trilogy. Absolution is only €10 for a used copy and at that price I feel like it's worth it.

@RogerRoger Honestly, I'd prefer to just buy the games physically instead of having to buy all additional levels digitally. At first I thought they included all previous levels on disc in Hitman III, but I guess not. I think the best way to go about this is to simply buy the first game and see if I like it. However, apparently there are two "complete" versions of the first Hitman, one that's called The Complete First Season and another called Definitive Edition. I've done some quick Google searches and apparently, all the episodes are on disc in The Complete First Season but only episodes 1-5 are on disc in Definitive Edition and you have to download episode 6 separately. But Definitive Edition also has more downloadable content to play like the Patient Zero missions. Naturally to me, I'd rather get the version with all episodes on disc but I just want to confirm with you if that's actually the case.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

RogerRoger

@LtSarge Honestly, trying to get all of the first PS4 game on disc is a nightmare. Even though all of the levels might be included, they all require separate content updates and patches anyway, to the point where I doubt that they're even playable without connecting to the internet. I've got The Complete First Season steelbook and remember that, when I went to install it, I had to wait for ages as almost a dozen downloads kicked off simultaneously. Whichever version you buy, it won't be everything, and then there's Hitman 2 and its truckloads of Season Pass content, which you won't find on any disc, anywhere.

The trilogy requires a constant connection to the IO Interactive servers to work properly anyway. You can play the games offline, but you won't complete any challenges, gain XP or unlock new weapons, outfits, gadgets or tools. It's the one downside to the whole experience, and a real shame, but at least the servers are way more stable than they used to be. Lost tons of progress to random downtime before.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@LtSarge @RogerRoger The individual levels are separate downloads essentially. Buying Hitman 3 and then picking up the other two games digitally if you see them in one of the sales is probably the best idea.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic