Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,961 to 1,980 of 2,111

Black_Swordsman

@colonelkilgore Yeah definitely, I'll tag you - And we've still got to set something up for Elden Ring, jolly co-op, when it comes out, remember?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman definitely, the only slight issue I have is that I have Demons Souls PS5 scheduled late this year and I do like to have a gap between games of the same type. I might have to push DS up the schedule a bit to give breathing room to Elden Ring.

**** DLC!

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution Have you played through Final Fantasy VII Remake recently? Or just started playing it? If so, I was thinking of getting it as I hoped we could have a game we could discuss.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Th3solution

@TheBrandedSwordsman I haven’t started it quite yet. I have it on deck to play soon. As far as when “soon” will be, there’s no telling. I actually bought the game shortly after launch because I really like the franchise and FF7 is one of the few retro games that I adore. I have been a little busy and I anticipate I’ll have a while yet with Returnal still and even Plague Tale which I ignored for a few weeks because Returnal has me mesmerized. But I halfway was planning on playing FF7R next though. It would definitely be fun to discuss it and play it in relative proximity. So I figure it’ll be about 2-4 weeks until I get around to it. But don’t let me hold you up. If you’re looking to start it now then go for it and I’ll be playing it eventually. And like I say, I have a deep appreciation for the original game and although I know this is quite a different interpretation both gameplay and narratively, it’s the same characters and world.

Did you play the original FF7? Have you played any others in the series?
If memory serves, you’ve had only light experience with JRPGs and turn based combat in the past. Supposedly FF7R isn’t nearly as turn based as the original and much more action RPG in nature, but has a timed element to the combat. People rave about it though so I’m anxious to try it.

And did you make it to the end of Obra Dinn yet?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution I'll probably play it around the same time as you then, in 2-4 weeks, just tag me when you're about to play it, if you can remember! Also, I am unsure about Obra Dinn, I just find it so difficult to find games I gel with nowadays, I have tried so many but at least I made it to the end of Control recently, it may often be a case of the Souls games spoiling most games for me, but yeah, it's still a good game I guess - I love the art style, however I am unsure about finishing it. FFVII Remake looks good though and a more action-oriented game after the likes of Fallen Order may be right up my street, because I made it through that game as well and that was basically action-adventure all the way. So, yeah, the crux of this post is, yeah, just let me know when you get around to FFVII Remake and we'll set something up for a discussion! (Apparently it has difficulty settings and is much easier than the Souls games).

Th3solution

@TheBrandedSwordsman Sounds good and I’ll definitely let you know. Seems there was someone else who was considering starting it soon too, but I forget.
I did play the demo, and I liked it, although it has the oft used Jrpg mechanic of switching party members and cycling through different characters during battle, which I like but not sure if you’ve enjoyed before. But the demo did have a big boss at the end and it seems like the game has the tried and true epic boss battles which should resonate well with your tastes.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

NEStalgia

Since I can't find an actual Now forum (lol, says it all!) And I know a few of you do use Now, I thought too ask here. Just signed up for a month of Now to try it out after xCloud PC beta annoyed me with a few games that don't want to start up. I'm using DS4 on xCloud, mainly because I had one in front of me, and don't want to use my current console controllers with streaming, and don't want to dig the old x1 controller out yet. Works fine.

Started PS Now and it complained I need a wired controller or official DS4 BT dongle. Website says DS4, wired or wireless. Doesn't list dual sense for pc, only PS5. Don't tell me I can play Xbox games with a BT DS4 or dual sense but can't play PS games unless I wire a ds4 only? And that their current totl controller wouldn't even work at all on pc with it?

It's like vita accessories all over again. Make the visions stop!

NEStalgia

Kidfried

@Th3solution I am going to play FF7 Remake when time allows it. However, currently I'm way too busy with new releases.

Kidfried

nessisonett

@NEStalgia Yeah, you have to plug it in. It’s an utter annoyance.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@Kidfried I know the feeling. It keeps getting shoved back by new releases and/or other distractions. I’ll need to see which way the wind blows as far as my moods, but I’ve been guilty of ignoring the Final Fantasy franchise too much lately. I was a big fan during prior generations and have played mainline entries since FF7 up until Lightning Returns and since then have neglected it. I bought FFXV on release and never got around to it. So far the same applies to FF7R. And with FFXVI and FF7R pt 2 on the horizon, I need to see if the series is still worthy of being one of my favorites.
I’ll keep you updated if I get around to FF7R anytime soon. Much of it depends on whether I make headway in my other games.

NEStalgia

@nessisonett Wow. That's just amazing, or dare I say it, Vita levels of amazing. I haven't enough palms to face. I wonder if Sony knows that PS Now is the only platform that can't use a Dual Shock properly? xCloud, Steam, anything else, works fine. And they don't even have Dual Sense support at all. While, wait for it, xCloud and Steam do!

The service is cheaper than xCloud, so there's that I guess. It has a big catalog (of older games.) But it also seems completely unmaintained while xCloud is technically still beta so the bugs an be forgiven a little more. X has quirks to be sure (Tried to launch the 3 Fables, Octopath, Dark Crystal, none of them will launch for some reason on PC, at least. I'm sure there's more.) But considering it's running in a browser because the full client doesn't even exist yet in the beta and PS Now has a pretty heavy client that can't use the one supported controller via BT, and is a 7+ year old service...ouch.

NEStalgia

JohnnyShoulder

@NEStalgia Stadia supports Dual Shock 4 controllers wirelessly from my TV and phone/tablet too.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

NEStalgia

@JohnnyShoulder Hah, that doesn't surprise me. I thought the PS console streaming app was kind of...err..."rustic"...on Android for not supporting anything but a DS4, but Now is just a whole other crazy.

The strange thing is the official supported controllers page just lists "Dual Shock 4 wireless controller", and actually offers instructions on pairing it over Blue Tooth, and highlights it's ability to do so. On that page it lists Remote Play as a supported app, but neither lists nor exempts Now. The combination of the two pages more or less explicitly says you can use a DS4 paired in BT for PC PS Now.

...except you can't.

NEStalgia

Th3solution

johncalmc wrote:

In other news, do any of you nerds know of any games like either 13 Sentinels or TOKYOREMEMBRANCE that are any good? I've got quite a few visual novels I haven't played yet and I've played quite a few but I liked the way they did things. I like wandering about and talking to people and being able to see the characters and stuff.

I moved it over here for clarity, but one of the games that comes to mind is Oxenfree. It’s not a visual novel, but to me has a relatively laid back story centric approach that’s mostly like that — talking to the NPCs, piece together story, make your way through a few little puzzles, make a few narrative choices, etc.

I haven’t played it but maybe Night in the Woods? Perhaps a similar vibe there.

Or are you looking specifically for Japanese style VN? I know you already did the full Danganronpa series. Are you much into walking sims? Not exactly VN but would be good for “wandering about and talking to people” — so like Firewatch, Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, What Remains of Edith Finch…. probably you’ve played all those though.

johncalmc

@Th3solution I played Oxenfree and I actually don't like it. Or I didn't like it when I played it. It was the banter. I found it tough to like the characters or care about them when I found them so annoying.

I do like all those walking sims too. I enjoy those games.

The vibe I'm going for here is like... I guess a slightly more involved visual novel. Ever so slightly. One of the things I liked about 13 Sentinels, for example, was that it was basically a visual novel, only instead of descriptions and static screens we saw the settings, and we walked around them, and the story was just told through dialogue. TOKYODARK is a bit like that too, whereas something like Danganronpa or Nonary Games is a normal visual novel with interactive bits tacked on?

Am I making sense? I think I am.

I'm aware this is an oddly specific request. I'm not even sure why I'm requesting it. I just really liked 13 Sentinels and TOKYODARK.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Th3solution

@johncalmc Fair enough. Since I’m playing through (rather slowly, I might add) 13 Sentinels right now I found your request interesting. There isn’t really much quite like it, that I know of. I’m only barely in the first 6-8 hours of it or so and I like it also, mostly for its unique approach to storytelling and the mixture of the tactical combat sections. It’s really not even like the other Vanillaware games except to a little shared art style. I’ve only played Dragon’s Crown and Muramasa Rebirth and those are much less story driven and more ‘gamey.’

Haven’t played TOKYODARK but seems like I might enjoy it. I get what you’re saying and I think we have a similar interest. I played Valiant Hearts last year and it was okay. Not really a VN either and is closer to Oxenfree than to 13 Sentinels so you might not care for it. And there isn’t much dialogue as the story is pretty exclusively told through a narrator, with little character interaction so probably scrap that. Another one that comes to mind is Broken Age. It was too heavy on the puzzle elements for my taste though and the story lost my interest in the end. But it does have the character switching aspect of 13 Sentinels (albeit only two characters, but choices you make as one character affect the other).

I just realized I’ve been basically thinking of 2D indie style art games with a lot of interactive stuff, which isn’t what you are looking for. I’m not doing very well at this.

How about Kentucky Route Zero? I haven’t played it yet and I don’t know what it is, but I think it’s not so much puzzle oriented as it is narrative and piecing together the story.

Eh, ..I think I’m just rambling at this point. 😅

johncalmc

@Th3solution 13 Sentinels is really a treat. At times I found it confusing as the number of characters increased - and of course some of the stories are more interesting than others - but some of the story beats are pretty out there and by the end I was absolutely hooked.

TOKYODARK is by no means as good. It's similar in that you walk about and talk to people. There's also some light puzzling. It's also a lot shorter and lot more straight forward. So, imagine 13 Sentinels but you're one character solving a supernatural murder mystery and it's like five hours long or something. It's fine. If you're into that kind of thing you'll get on with it.

Valient Hearts is a good shout, as is Kentucky Route Zero, but alas, I have played those.

I think, basically, I just want a 13 Sentinels 2.

johncalmc

Twitter:

nessisonett

@johncalmc Have you played Disco Elysium yet? It’s similar in that you walk about the setting talking to people. As in, that’s the game. That’s what you do at all times. Other than that, I guess there’s that wave of bartender games like VA-11 HALL-A and Coffee Talk. Think Necrobarista is getting a port to PS4 this year too.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic