Forums

Topic: General PlayStation 4 Thread

Posts 1,021 to 1,040 of 1,232

DonJorginho

@Jaz007 I am in two minds, I will leave with you the main reasons as to why I am thinking of making the switch.

1. The PS5 will likely suffer from launch bugs and hardware issues that will not be resolved for at least 6 months.

2. Now I got my new 4K TV, 1080p looks good but meh compared to my 4K bluray player which makes me want the Pro now to enjoy the last year of this gen to it's fullest.

3. Games are starting to show their age for PS4 Slim and OG, Control and Borderlands 3 run like sh*t and games like Cyberpunk 2077, Dying Light 2 etc will only push the system further so I want to make sure I get the best experience possible.

4. It means if I choose not to get a PS5 on launch due to big hardware issues I at least have the best PS4 available to keep me occupied till the issues are sorted.

Edited on by antdickens

DonJorginho

JohnnyShoulder

@DonJorginho I'm in a similar position as you, but decided to wait it out as getting a pro does not guarantee that games will run better. Games like Star Wars and Borderlands 3 still have issues on a Pro so I hear. Not every third party game runs badly on a PS4 either. So all you are paying for really is a resolution bump to 4k, and not even 'true 4k'. HDR isn't great on all games this gen either. For me that is too big an outlay for only a year.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

There is no longer a good time to release a game. There are only less s**t times to release a game

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@DonJorginho I’m also one of the “vanilla PS4” peasants who never upgraded to a Pro. In fact I haven’t even got a slim, I’m rockin’ the OG model and although it has served me well, I occasionally feel the temptation to get a Pro for the nice boost mode and visual upgrade that I hear about. However, like @Jaz007 , @JohnnyShoulder , @KratosMD and @redd214 have suggested, I’m leaning toward waiting on PS5 for now. It is tempting though since the Pro price is getting good.

Here’s a thought — rather than getting a Pro, how about getting an Xbox One X? It will give you actually the most bang for your buck on your 4K TV, you’ll get the best experience of the multi platform games, have the ability to play Cyberpunk and Watch Dogs Legion, etc without waiting who knows how long for the PS5 versions to release, and you’ll have the opportunity to try Xbox exclusives (are there even any good ones out there? I don’t know) and still play all the PS exclusives like GoT, TLoU 2, FF7R, etc on your Slim and still not lose much of anything. Then when PS5 comes out you upgrade straight to that for all your next gen gaming.
The only flaw in this logic as I just thought about it is that you will lose out on backwards compatibility of playing those games like Cyberpunk on the PS5. But you’ll probably want to double dip and get the PS5 complete edition version anyways rather than play the PS4 version on your PS5.

I don’t know, just a thought. Like I said, I have the same dilemma in my head and this is one approach I’ve considered. I’ve never owned an Xbox product, and it would feel a little bit like cheating on my girlfriend, but it’s an idea.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

Octane

@DonJorginho I've decided to wait as well. Like @KratosMD said; Sony first party games will run fine on the vanilla PS4. Cyberpunk comes out only two months before the PS5. And TBH, those are the games I'm looking forward most. Any other third party can wait as well I think.

But at the moment I'm still playing Control. I recently bought Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Those games, along with TLOU2, FF7 and Ghost are probably enough to keep me occupied until the PS5 comes out.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

DonJorginho

I can get a new one for £299 with Modern Warfare and if I sell my PS4 Slim I get £130 for it so really I am only paying £169 for a new PS4 Pro that will take advantage of my TV, and I know it isn't native 4K but the chequer-boarding looks miles better than standard FHD definitions.

I am mainly thinking for if the PS5 has a massive hardware fault on launch, or the production is delayed and or affected by the CV, it could be smart to enjoy the final year of peak PS4 with the most powerful version possible.

DonJorginho

DonJorginho

@Octane How does Control run for you on PS4? I haven't played it yet as have been told how bad it performs.

DonJorginho

JohnnyShoulder

@DonJorginho That thought did cross my mind what @Th3solution suggested, regarding an XBOX X. But I still think that is a lot of money to pay if you are only gonna play one or two games on it, as I have so games on my ps4 to play.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

There is no longer a good time to release a game. There are only less s**t times to release a game

DonJorginho

@JohnnyShoulder If I got an XOX it would be a preowned one as would not wanna pay £350 plus for something I wouldn't use as much as my PS4.

I might check how much they are on CEX later, can't access their site from work sadly lol!

DonJorginho

Octane

@DonJorginho It runs fine, mostly. There are definitely very noticeable slowdowns, sometimes when you fast travel and then move quickly to another environment. Or sometimes during intense combat. It's annoying, but not game breaking, and I'm enjoying it despite it. It helps that combat isn't precision work, so it's not as noticeable when it happen. But if you start paying attention to it, then yeah, it's there.

Octane

Rudy_Manchego

@DonJorginho I had a quick look and boxed is like £275 and unboxed in A is £260 at CEX.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

JohnnyShoulder

@DonJorginho For me that would still be too expensive lol. But it is your money at the end of the day.

I'm quite content to wait and stick it out with a base ps4. I understand your concerns regarding Cyberpunk, but The Witcher 3 had some issues but I still really enjoyed the game.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

DonJorginho

@JohnnyShoulder Do you reckon the smart option would be to just wait it out then till any further developments for PS5? The more I think about it the main games I am hyped for are first party and they will be pretty well optimised, and if Cyberpunk is going to run like crap on the PS4 and we find that out nearer launch I can buy a Series X further down the year for a reduced price.

DonJorginho

nessisonett

Oh dear, now I feel like I’ve wasted money on a Pro! To be fair, one of my controllers was dead anyway plus it came with Modern Warfare and I had Amazon vouchers so it really wasn’t that expensive once you take that into account.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

JohnnyShoulder

@DonJorginho Yeah at the very least. If the next gen consoles do get delayed it may be worth looking to get a pro/x depending on how long the delay is, especially if you will not be getting one at launch.

DonJorginho

@JohnnyShoulder I want to and have the money to get both at launch, but the idea of getting a hardware issue due to the first batch of consoles having the typical faults is the only thing that puts me off.

DonJorginho

Ryall

@DonJorginho I’ll probably get my PS5 from a physical shop rather than an online retailer for that reason. If I need to return it it will be straightforward to get a replacement. The price of a day one console will be the same everywhere anyway.

Ryall

Genrou

I will probably pass on the PS5 at launch as I still have a huge backlog of PS4 games to play. Not only that but it will give them time to work the kinks out.

Genrou

kyleforrester87

No regrets with my launch Pro. The resolution boost in many games is greatly appreciated.

Would I get one now if I planned on getting a launch PS5? Nah.

But if you won’t get a PS5 at launch, I say go for it. Sell your original one, and then when you get a PS5, sell your Pro. You’ll be a little bit out of pocket but depending on your circumstances you might not care.

Or don’t - the boost is nice but it’s not going to transform your gaming sessions.

At the end of the day, if gamings you main hobby, nothing wrong with getting some new hardware for the hell of it.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic