PS3 Firmware Update 4.55 Takes You Back to a Time Before Standby

Remember to vent your frustrations online

The majority of Sony’s attention may be pointed directly at the PlayStation 4, but that doesn’t mean that the platform holder’s done tweaking its former flagship format. A brand new mandatory firmware update is available for the PlayStation 3 right now – even if it has arrived with much less fanfare than its successor’s latest patch.

What does the fix do? Well, that’s not entirely clear – but the manufacturer’s official Japanese website does mention something about “system software stability”. Of course, the real downside is that you’ll have to manually sit through the laborious process of downloading and installing it, which feels even more tedious in this post-PS4 world. Oh well, at least it’ll give you a chance to cut your toenails.

[via el33tonline.com]

rjejr

rjejr said:

It's even more frustrating when the PS3 boots up to tell me 4.55 was installed during normal PS+ overnight stuff but it still has to go thru a # of steps to install it. I set it to turn off when done and walked away several times - put clothes in the dryer, took a leak, finished an old cup of coffee on the kitchen table - and eventually the tv was black. Then I came here to find out what it was ;-)

snoox

snoox said:

Why is this guy so negative? The patch was pretty speedy for me & makes me feel good that they're still improving ps3. Also, IMHO, if I were this guy I'd change my work photo to something less azzhole-looking-ish haaaa :p but seriously I think u'd get a better response, but I know nuthing

SuperGiantRobot

SuperGiantRobot said:

Labourous and tedious.

Yes, clearly the two and a half minutes it took could have been used on greater pursuits.

Are you being facetious, or does your web provider suck that badly?

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

Thanks for the headsup! I'll install it when I get home and play ps4 in the meantime...

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

Yes, we're being totally serious about this firmware update. That's how we've got this far as a PlayStation-only site.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@get2sammyb - Is everybody talking about you or me?

I didn't know you made checking your sense of humour at the door a requirement for posting. ;-)

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

I am convinced that every time they say "system software stability" and don't actually tell you anything, it is a security patch. They are blocking some security hole they have found. The last one came out straight after they changed everyone passwords without warning them.

Subie98

Subie98 said:

Took me less than two minutes to download. The reboot and install took the longest. I think it took 5 minutes total with download and install. Glad they are still doing things for the ps3.