Tropico 5 Laying Foundations on the PlayStation 4

Sun, sand, and taxes

Niche tongue-in-cheek construction simulation Tropico 5 has extended its release blueprints to the PlayStation 4, meaning that the franchise will make its debut on a Sony system later this year. Previous entries in the series have remained exclusive to PC, Mac, and Xbox 360 platforms, but the simplistic architecture of the Japanese giant’s latest console seems to have twisted developer Haemimont Games’ arm.

For those out of the loop, the title will see you manage a country from its foundation in the colonial era, through World War II and the Cold War, and finally into the present day. As ‘El Presidente’ of this fictional nation, you’ll be able to set rules as you please, allowing you to be as twisted as your heart desires. Moreover, for the first time in the series, the title will feature competitive and co-operative multiplayer, enabling you to work with or against three other players on the same island.

There’s no word on a firm release date just yet, but the game is due out this year, and is purportedly looking “better than ever” on the PS4. We suppose that it doesn’t hurt that the studio at the helm has opted to completely overhaul the title’s visuals for this edition. The management genre is sorely underrepresented on consoles, so we’re looking forward to putting on our dictator’s hat. Are you in the mood for some city building? Stick a brick in the comments section below.

[via eurogamer.net]

mclarenrob2

mclarenrob2 said:

Never even heard of it, but its the kind of game id play. Lets hope more PC exclusives come to next gen consoles.

@mclarenrob2 Agreed. I have heard of it, but never played it. I really like these type of games, so I'm looking forward to this one. Glad it's finally coming to PlayStation.

LDXD

LDXD said:

I stayed away from this game on PC because of the DRM. Good to see this coming to ps4 hopefully DRM free if so I'll pick it up

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@mclarenrob2 I assume they're alluding to the Civilization series wherein you make policies and alliances as you grow which end up defining your culture. Maybe a bit of Zoo Tycoon thrown in if you only have one settlement and have to feed your individual units or something. Interested to know more

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

This is wonderful! I only played the extensive demo of Tropico 3 on the 360 back then and sadly never got around to actually buy the game, but this is right up my alley! The humor was nice and the game solid, so bring it on!

I especially like that you can play across various eras.