Capcom Revives Resident Evil: Revelations for PlayStation 3

Blowing up on the big screen

As expected, Capcom has announced that Resident Evil: Revelations will shuffle onto the PlayStation 3 later this year. The former Nintendo 3DS exclusive will launch as both a boxed title and a digital download on 21st May in North America and 24th May in Europe. It will set you back the slightly reduced sum of €49.99/$49.99, which doesn’t seem like enough of a discount to us.

Improvements to the PS3 version will include high definition visuals, enhanced lighting effects, and “an immersive sound experience”. The home console release will also feature a new enemy type, a fresh difficulty tier, and improvements to the Raid mode, including the ability to play as franchise favourite, Hunk.

“Raid Mode sees gamers play online in co-op mode or alone in single player, taking on the hordes of enemies across a variety of missions whilst levelling up characters and earning weapon upgrades,” Capcom elaborated in an official press release.

Resident Evil: Revelations spawned a slew of positive reviews upon its handheld debut last year, including a 9/10 from our sister site. We still can’t help but feel that the asking price is a bit too steep for a handheld port, though. Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

3Above

3Above said:

At that price i wouldnt expect too many sales in an era where PS2 ports with the same improvements start at $39.99. Would have loved it on Vita though but not at that price. What do they think RE: R is, Uncharted or something?

3Above

3Above said:

@get2sammyb True, i forgot this is a year old already. But this is Capcom we are speaking of. It would seem they dont belive being 3DS exclusive was enough for them profit wise. I dont recall seeing any fan requests to have this ported.

MaxiM_PL

MaxiM_PL said:

Kinda weird they decided to go the PS3 route instead of Vita. WOuld cost a lot less to port portable to a portable too. But as it always is with Capcom, I bet they have an agreement with Nintendo not to release this game on a portable system to avoid direct competition.

Knux

Knux said:

I'll wait for the inevitable massive price drop before buying this game...again.

Dambuster

Dambuster said:

The only thing I hated about the 3ds version, was it made no difference where you shot the baddies, it just took a set number to kill it. If I shoot something in the knee I want it to drop to the floor, then move in with my knife!

I will give this a miss.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I have the 3DS verison of the game and it's awesome. I like it so much that for the right price I'd have bought for the PS3 as well just to have all the RE games on one system but $50? The people running Capcom make some real face palming decisions.