Chinese Vita Copycat Droid X360 is a Lawsuit Waiting to Happen

Posted by Damien McFerran

Attack of the clone

While western companies take each other to court over the tiniest little patent infraction, over in China hardware manufacturers have no such concerns; they'll happily copy a rival product right down to the design - something which is proven perfectly by the Droid X360.

Looking every inch like a PlayStation Vita, this is actually an Android 4.0-based device which boasts 8GB of storage, microSD cart support, a capacitive touch-screen, physical gaming controls and access to the Android Google Play market, which boasts thousands of apps and games.

The catch? It's awful. We've been (un)lucky enough to have a mess about with one, and the quality is dire. The buttons are unresponsive, the operating system has more bugs than your car's front radiator and the system generally feels painful to use. As if the obvious legal issues surrounding its appearance weren't enough, the unit also features preloaded emulators for the Mega Drive, SNES, N64 and PlayStation.

The machine costs around £75/$120, which may be cheaper than a real Vita but the user experience is vastly, vastly inferior. If you're tempted by the idea of an Android-powered console with gaming controls and access to thousands of games, then we'd advise you go for the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play instead.

hydeks

hydeks said:

lol I love that, "at least you can access the worlds greatest playstation site from it", that's awesome lol. Sorry, I know I'm suppose to look at the picks and think "what a cheap rip off!" but I'm more looking at the PSVita and thinking "damn that's a awesome looking system, I WANT ONE!" :P I think I should have bought a Vita instead of a 3DS :P

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

There's not even many games I'm that interested in from the Play Store (until Metal Gear comes out for it), but I can use the Galaxy SIII and connect my own damn controller to it anyway :)

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

Some poor kid is probably going to get this for Christmas instead of a Vita.

rjejr

rjejr said:

They should have called it the "Droid PS Wii DS 360" to properly cover all their bases.

Sony should thank them for making the Vita look good, Google however should sue for messing w/ Android, that's Apple's job.

Samholy

Samholy said:

hmmm... i wouldnt mind a portable emulation console. play old consoles anywhere can be quite fun.
but certainly not a vita fake that will probably burn after a couple of weeks.

where is my handheld snes console now.