Forums

Topic: PSone Japan Imports on PSN (US)

Posts 1 to 20 of 29

sykotek

Hey import fans, here's a final list of PSone Japan Imports for North American PlayStation Store!

After this update, I'm officially abandoning updating this thread due to lack of interest.

'8/25/2011' Updated List:

Kyuiin: video
kyuiin_002small.jpg

The Rapid Angel: video
gfs_13086_2_20_mid.jpg

Yakiniku Bugyou: video
Yakiniku%20Bugyou-PSX-NTSC-JAP.jpg

Rock Man 3: video
Snake-Man-Stage.jpg

Rock Man 2: video
megaman2.png

Rock Man 1: video
Mega%20Man%201%20-%20Cut%20Man--article_image.jpg

Galaxy Fight: video
xGalaxy_Fight__Universal_Warriors.png

Blockids: video
Foto+Blockids.jpg

Dezaemon Plus: video
Dezaemon-Plus.jpg

Arcade Hits: Sonic Fighters Special: video
2503_1.png

Money Idol Exchanger: video
gfs_86188_2_16.jpg

Arcade Hits: Shienryu: video
shienryustv.png

Tall Unlimited: video
tallunlimited.jpg

Magical Drop F: video
MagicalDrop.JPG

Arcade Hits: Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty: video
2692_1.png

Cho Aniki: video
cho-ps6.jpg

Gaia Seed: video
Gaia%20Seed.jpg

All video links have been repaired as of final update 8/25/2011

Edited on by sykotek

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

Noire

Man, I'd be more on board with this if they were games I actually cared about, lol

Lieutenant Commander of the Lesbian Love Brigade
There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there is only one dude left, because that was the point.

PSN: PhoenixSage123

Terranauts

I don't care for Cho Aniki (Unless we get a Sexy Poker version of the game ) but is Gaia Seed any good?

Terranauts

JamieO

The idea of bringing unique Japanese import PSone games to PSN is brilliant and I'm a bit envious that all of you US gamers will be playing shooters like Gaia Seed. If they bring Gunner's Heaven to US PSN, my jealousy will hit the roof! Ha, ha.

The UK PS Store has not even got PSone Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, yet! That is utter madness to me!

On a side note, the latest PSone release for the UK's PS Store is Re-Loadedfor £3.99, which is Gremlin's sequel to their top-down shooter.

I am passionate about retro gaming, from antiquated consoles to the continuation of classics. Obviously I love PSone, and PS2 retro games. I blast my ears to breakneck melodic punk, gruff vocals and nimble alternative guitar hooks.

Twitter:

JamieO

@skyotek Spot on with your comment, "I'm shocked SoTN hasn't been released for you yet, maybe they'll coincide with the CastleVania: Lords of Shadow release."
Fingers crossed for that, then!

Thank you for sharing the news about the Japanese PSone imports hitting the US's PSN. If any more turn up next week, let us know... I don't mind feeling jealous twice!

I am passionate about retro gaming, from antiquated consoles to the continuation of classics. Obviously I love PSone, and PS2 retro games. I blast my ears to breakneck melodic punk, gruff vocals and nimble alternative guitar hooks.

Twitter:

Slapshot

Gaiaseed is incredible is you care for old school horizontal shooters. Its all hand drawn and is a blast to play. It doesnt hold up to the like of SoldnerX but for what it is and the $3 USD I paid for it, Im loving it. Ive wanted to try this out for a long time. Bring us more Sony Please

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

PSN: crossed23 | Twitter:

JamieO

@sykotek I really appreciate you updating this thread mate, I am always interested in learning about Japanese import games, especially the variety of 2D titles on PSone.

Whilst puzzlers are not really my cup of tea, I like to hear about 2D one-on-one fighters and I don't know much about Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty. I have read up about this 1995 arcade title, its devs were Data East, it was called Suikoenbu in Japan and re-named as Dark Legend on the Saturn.

It looks like a weapon based fighter, in the style of Golden Axe: The Duel and just like the one-on-one Golden Axe game, it has Art of Fighting stylee scaling that was all the rage in the mid-late '90s. Note that it may be a bit sluggishly paced, with slowdown in parts, although I haven't played it, so I can't verify this.

The PSone could not compete with SEGA's Saturn with the lush animation needed for most one-on-one fighters, especially later Capcom games, although Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty does not really suffer in this department. The PSone's 2D obviously surpassed the SNES, so its conversions are still enjoyable.

If you get the chance to continue to update this thread, that would be cool, and in the meantime I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed that we start to receive some import PSone games on the PAL PSN.

Twitter:

CanisWolfred
sykotek

Found some more information, so the thread has been updated again.  Upcoming releases are...

Shienryu (a SHMUP previously released in the US as Gekioh Shooting King by Natsume)
http://www.retrogame-shop.com/shop/imag … ryustv.png

and

Tall Unlimited (a puzzle game that reminds me of Devil Dice previously released in the US as Tall Infinity by Agetec):
http://ui25.gamespot.com/1560/image3_2.jpg

Curiously, they have previously been released in the US under different names.  I don't know if there are qualitative differences compared to our domestic releases of those titles.

I can personally Attest to Shienryu being awesome, and the import version is even better, since it can save high scores.

Also I got Magical Drop F last night, and I must say, it's a fantastic game...however the story mode is very difficult if you don't know Japanese.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

JamieO

@sykotek & @Mickeymac Great stuff, Shienryu is yet again a game that I know little about, except that it was another game which also got a Saturn release and apparently its sequel Shienryu Explosion was released on PS2 by Warashi.

I think that Warashi may be the main devs of the Shienryu titles and they were then published by the likes of SEGA on Saturn. To make things even more confusing, I have a PAL shmup compilation called Steel Dragon EX, published by D3 and Midas Interactive, which I think includes both Shienryu and Shienryu Explosion. Therefore, it looks like I already own this one.

From your screen Shienryu/Gekioh Shooting King looks a bit like Raiden and to be honest, the more shmups on PSN the merrier. Nice one!

Twitter:

CanisWolfred
JamieO

@sykotek & @Mickeymac Great stuff, Shienryu is yet again a game that I know little about, except that it was another game which also got a Saturn release and apparently its sequel Shienryu Explosion was released on PS2 by Warashi.

I think that Warashi may be the main devs of the Shienryu titles and they were then published by the likes of SEGA on Saturn. To make things even more confusing, I have a PAL shmup compilation called Steel Dragon EX, published by D3 and Midas Interactive, which I think includes both Shienryu and Shienryu Explosion. Therefore, it looks like I already own this one.

From your screen Shienryu/Gekioh Shooting King looks a bit like Raiden and to be honest, the more shmups on PSN the merrier. Nice one!

Dude, you might want to pick up Shienryu anyways since this version comes in 60Hz, while Steel Dragon EX doesn't.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Knux

Woah, Shienryu looks awesome. I think I might buy this when it is released on the PSN.

Knux

JamieO

@Mickeymac If these Japanese PSone imports ever make it to Europe's PSN, I will definitely snap them up, but if we were lucky enough to receive the same titles as the US, I imagine that I would buy Gaia Seed first.

I think that making import games available is a really great idea, it would be a bonus if they kept them intact and released them on PAL PS3 in 60Hz. If Shienryu was cheap and 60Hz I would consider buying it again (nt. I can play my PS2 Steel Dragon EX disc on my 60GB PS3).

Unfortunately, there are a lot of 'ifs' at the moment for a UK gamer like myself, I hope that a Sony rep responsible for our PAL PSN/PS Store checks out a forum like this, to see what gamers are excited about (big hint, we really, really want PSone Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on PAL PSN!!!).

In the meantime, I wonder what all of you lucky US gamers will receive next. Einhänder would be awesome and I repeat that a side-scrolling 2D run-and-gunner like Gunner's Heaven would be a rare treat for you guys.

Twitter:

SwerdMurd

Gaia Seed is quite fun.  My account sharing buddy bought it last week and it's quite a solid game--nothing too remarkable, but I love it cause it's a game in the genre I haven't played

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

Slapshot

Pretty much any shooter that imports in the PSN store will be bought by me, unless it has half naked duded be mounted by dolphins that is. Ive really enjoyed playing GaiaSeed mainly because its a old shooter Ive never gotten the chance to play. American are so stuck on R-Types and Gradius and neither of wich excite me too much. I prefer Soldner X, Life Force, Einhander, etc anyday.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

PSN: crossed23 | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

Ugh, a shameless Magical Drop clone. I still haven't finished Magical Drop F, so I'll pass. Besides, MDF has way hotter chickas and bishounens.:3 And Aero Fighters is pretty good, so I'll be getting Sonic Wings Special pretty soon.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Xkhaoz

I' m gonna get Shienryu and Dezamon Plus with some moneys I get from Christmas.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xkhaoz

CanisWolfred
sykotek

Confirmed upcoming release:

Galaxy Fight, neat looking Sunsoft 2D fighting game.
http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/scr … rriors.png

A video might be helpful: (Considering going back and adding video links to listed import titles to make it easier for those interested in possibly purchasing, probably future update)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl6idb-4bM8

As of this moment, all Japanese PS one Imports in the PlayStation Store currently still qualify for half off for PS+ subscribers unlike other timed PS+ discounts and freebies, so if imports are your thing, it might be a good incentive for you to sign up.  I don't plan to though, I already bought all the import titles at full price.  =P

Enjoy!

~Haha, nice pic~

Galaxy Fight is a very quirky game. Not without its issues, but still worth checking out, IMO. I want to get it, but I've got so little funds and so many games I want to get, I'll probably have to pass.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Xkhaoz

I got myself Shienryu, it's great fun.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xkhaoz

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.