Forums

Topic: The Thread of Totally Awesome Video Game Screenshots [Slow Connections Beware]

Posts 1,101 to 1,120 of 3,152

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON The only time Star Wars has bettered that seismic charge sound effect is with this particularly spectacular explosion from The Clone Wars.

Otherwise, I think it might be my favourite individual sound effect from... well, anything.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger 😂😂 when you really need something to sound like it's blowing up!

Episode II in general was a rather grand shake up of sound design. Or at least expected sound design.

An oddly specific audio appreciation of mine is individual lightsaber fonts. Something I'd never really noticed until I bought my first (Vader) Force FX lightsaber. Brilliant design decision.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Absolutely.

I love that clip so much. "So there's a series of small, multicoloured explosions which tear the ship apart, and then they explode in one giant explosion, creating an explosive shockwave which triggers a dozen more explosions all over the place!" "So let me get this straight... you want to blow up an explosion?" "Brilliant! Get the sound guys on the phone!"

Glad I'm not the only one who can (almost) tell who's swinging their lightsaber from the sound alone. There are the obvious ones, like Maul's double-tone hum and the gritty snarl they added to Savage Opress' blades, but there are finer distinctions.

Also winds me up whenever games show characters with red lightsabers and they don't snap-hiss when activated, but rather just make the standard hero activation noise, because developers just reached for the closest "lightsaber turn on" noise in their sound bank.

God, I'm a nerd.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Quite a lot of them don't snap hiss. I always though of it as a matter of stylistic choice for whatever suited a scene.

For example: Luke's ROTJ saber is more often than not seen activating with incredible speed. Whereas Vader on film has a pretty slow (standard) power up. Similar variations can be seen throught all of the films.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

themcnoisy

@RogerRoger Wow that clip is amazing. I never watched the Clone wars series but that explosion is fantastic!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON You're right, it's definitely a stylistic choice. Vader's slow ignition in scenes like the Rogue One corridor and his duel with Luke in The Empire Strikes Back is deliberately to build ominous tension, but then it must flare to life pretty darn quick for him to block Luke's attack on Palpatine in Return of the Jedi because the scene called for it.

Anyway, we're dangerously off-topic now! Somebody quick, post some screencaps!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger
I tried to grab a shot of myself in the Tie Silencer and a team mate in the Scimitar flying in formation (for a brief moment) the other night. It had lined up really well but the capture was too slow.

I may try some hud-less multiplayer over the weekend and see what I can get!

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Best of luck!

Here's some inspiration; re-posting a couple of my greatest hits to get us back on topic...

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Nice!

That N1 is great!

RogerRoger

Perhaps a first for this topic; screencaps from a PC game, specifically Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (because if you're gonna run with a theme for an entire page, run with it properly).

Untitled
"That last droid is gonna be so mad when he turns around..."

Untitled
"But I only wanted a hug! Come back!"

Untitled
"This year's Chelsea Flower Show has gotten way out of hand."

Untitled
Qui-Gon was surprised to find these French Jawas.

Untitled
"I may not have a T-14 Hyperdrive Generator, but what I do have is a particular set of skills..."

Untitled
"Do you know any Status Quo?"

Untitled
Darth Maul shaking his fist like a Scooby-Doo villain.

Untitled
"I don't even need to look when I'm deflecting him. See? Yawn."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Wow... Just, Wow.

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger @KALofKRYPTON nice pictures and as i have been doing SIA training i haven't played much for the past month so all i have to share is ONE from DBXV2 but i won't, don't want to spoil the Star Wars theme

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo go for it.

FullbringIchigo

just 2 for now (and ruining the theme @RogerRoger had going, sorry)

first up DBXV2

"I Got you"
Untitled

and of course one from FINAL FANTASY XV

"SO your really on a Chocobo thing right now aint yah Prince?"
Untitled

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

just some from FINAL FANTASY XV for now

"I want to ride my Chocobo all day..."
Untitled

the FINAL Secret Dungeon is done
Untitled

"Ignis this is NOT the time for that"
Untitled

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Hey, great to see you back and no worries; you built this topic on Final Fantasy screencaps so they're always welcome. I was being silly with my "theme" comment anyway!

Love the duck hat. I want one.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yeah that SIA training was LONG, i still have bruises and i pulled a muscle in my shoulder too

anyway a few more FFXV

"OK guys time for a fishing trip"
Untitled

On the open sea
Untitled

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Sounds pretty grueling. I know a few folks who now run private SIA training companies, so can believe you need to put your feet up for a bit... maybe go on a boat trip... oh hey, look! That's exactly what you did (digitally, at least)! Nice caps!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i would LOVE to go a real boat trip but no way i can afford the price or the time sadly

RogerRoger

Boldly going back to 2001 with the PC classic Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force.

"All hands, brace for blocky graphics!"
Untitled

"Wonder how long this one'll last. I give it a pre-title sequence."
Untitled

"How we've never seen you aboard before is... illogical."
Untitled

"This leola root won't chop itself, y'know."
Untitled

"Lock on to a remastered PS4 version and beam it up."
Untitled

"Hmm... my tricorder is detecting trace amounts of old school..."
Untitled

"In conclusion, your orders are to shoot anything that moves. Any questions?"
Untitled

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic