Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 3,401 to 3,420 of 7,479

Ralizah

41 hours into Fire Emblem: Three Houses and I'm not even halfway through my first playthrough yet! Very little of it feels like needless padding, though. Progression systems are everywhere and, no matter what I'm doing, it advances something that contributes to enriching me, making me stronger, and/or helping me to learn more about the people around me.

This is already my favorite Fire Emblem game. It it stays excellent to the end, it might end up being my favorite Switch game. It has some flaws (a little on the easy side for series vets, even on hard mode, and while it looks good undocked, the visuals do feel very last gen on the home console side of things), but this is easily my favorite game of 2019 now. Sorry, Resident Evil 2! I still love you, though.

It looks like I'll be playing all four routes, though, as they're apparently pretty radically different.

@KratosMD It's becoming a WRPG machine, too. Pillars of Eternity, The Outer Worlds, The Witcher 3, Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, etc. on a handheld. Insanity.

But yeah, they announced that collection early last year, I believe. It took so long to materialize that I had kind of forgotten about it.

Pity we won't see much in the way of Falcom support. They're 110% invested in the Playstation ecosystem.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

@KratosMD I don't own one (I just use the 8bitdo wireless adapter to connect a DS4 or Wii U Pro when I don't want to play with the joycon controllers; you lose the HD rumble, but they work well otherwise, and the DS4 even has gyro support! Plus, it only cost me $20 or so), but I've heard nothing but good things about it. Pretty much everyone I know who owns one says it's incredibly comfortable. So, if you play the system docked a lot, it's probably a good buy.

I held off, though. I'm not a huge fan of the asymmetrical Xbox controller-esque layout. I mostly (probably 70% of the time) play the system undocked. And I have a ton of other controllers laying around that work with the adapter.

Edited on by Ralizah

Gamer83

@KratosMD
My Switch is docked the vast majority of the time I play games on it so I bought a Pro controller. The price is steep but I couldn't possibly recommend it more, would even go as far as to say I think it's the best controller Nintendo has ever put out. I much prefer the analog stick layout compared to what the Wii U Pro had.

Gamer83

Ralizah

@Gamer83 Wii U Pro works well enough, but it's so sleek and light that it feels sort of like a cheap budget controller. I hear the Switch Pro feels weightier.

What has your experience with the D-Pad been, by the way? I've heard a lot of complaints about accidental inputs when using it.

Ralizah

@KratosMD For handheld mode, have you looked into getting a grip? I find that the long, untextured feel of the system when it's undocked is sort of uncomfortable until I put a grip on it to give my fingers something to wrap around.

Some of them even claim to be dockable.

Edited on by Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

@KratosMD The NSPC (Ha) is my favourite controller period. It's my preferred way to play even PC games. The gyro is excellent (And actually bloody used) and the HD Rumble in the grips is excellent. 40 hours battery life (Which rarely creeps up on me actually. I charge both of mine maybe once a month if that, USB-C charging (THANK YOU!!!!) and large, comfortable triggers.

The D-Pad is good, and the buttons are all nice and large. Everything is present and accounted for, plus the sticks have further travel. The controller comes in around 246g, so a little less than the console itself sans Joy-Con, and the weight is evenly distributed between the rumble motors in the grips, and the heavier components towards the top.

It also has full native Steam support, complete with Gyro, of course that goes on a "Does this game ACTUALLY work with controllers or not" basis, as with any controller on Steam, and as someone who cant use Xbox controllers due to being too large for someone with hand injuries, let it be known this controller by some miracle hits the sweet spot.

You can get a lot of mileage out of this thing.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Gamer83

@Ralizah
I haven't had any issues with the d-pad and I've had the controller since March 2017 not too long after I got my Switch. I use it a lot because I play a ton of Street Fighter. There's no wear and tear, no issues with wrong inputs. It's a 10/10 accessory, imo.

Gamer83

Ralizah

@Knuckles-Fajita Steam's robust support for console controllers is low-key my favorite aspect of that service now. You can even get it to work with non-Steam games that you play through the Steam launcher! While I think the Steam Controller is, imo, a complete joke (I bought one, and the thing is just hideous and uncomfortable), I love the way it spurred them to allow customization of other controllers as well.

RE2 on PC with dual stick controls + gyro aiming via the DS4 is heaven. I'm sure it's similarly pleasant with a Pro Controller.

Edited on by Ralizah

Tasuki

@KratosMD I always use the pro controller when using my Switch (unless if I am on the go), and like others here I love it. I highly recommend it for any Switch owner.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Haruki_NLI

@KratosMD One of us. One of us. One of us.

Tasuki

@KratosMD Yep. I never use the Joycons anymore unless I am away from my TV, and by that I mean if I am away from my house for a few days on vacation or something.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Haruki_NLI

@KratosMD It's so good. I use split Joy-Con for some games, like Mario Odyssey where it just feels more natural to me, or something like Sonic Mania (I'm weird) or Tetris, where the D-Buttons are infinitely better than a D-Pad.

Again though, that feature set, perfect weight and size. So good, The only controller of that size I can use. Damn thumb injuries!

Also, and this may stun you, the battery in the Pro Controller is identical to that in the 3DS. 40 hours baby!

Haruki_NLI

@KratosMD The Dualshock has a lower battery life than the JoyCon despite the JoyCon having a far far smaller battery capacity. They last 20 hours. Plus you factor in the motion, camera, rumble motors that can go to insanely high frequencies so high you can't even FEEL the vibrations, and somehow it still comes out lasting longer.

Honestly it's not like the JoyCon and Pro Controller are engineering feats with their batteries.

It's that the DS4 is just pretty damn bad.

I mean hell, now the Switch ITSELF can last longer than a DS4 and that's playing the damn games!

HallowMoonshadow

Dunno about your magical switch @Knuckles-Fajita but my DS4 lasts a good ten hours. True I have the lightbar on low and no vibration but it's not that bad.

Though it could be much better too

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@KratosMD Ever own a Wii U Pro? That thing supposedly lasts 80 hours.

Even the joycons last up to 20.

Rudy_Manchego

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I too get a good 8-10 hours out of my DS4.

That said, @Ralizah is right, the Switch Pro Controller is a beast in terms of battery life and design. My fave controller of this gen. I do want a Wii U Pro controller too.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

Out of interest, has anyone played Pillars of Eternity either on Switch or any other platform? Sorely tempted but not sure about it...

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

HallowMoonshadow

Oh I don't doubt the battery life claim @Rudy_Manchego of the pro controller ... just the exaggeration that a Switch outruns the DS4!

And really not a fan of asymetrical analogue... If I do ever get a Switch I'll have to look into getting a symetrical analogue controller

And @Tasuki has played it as I asked about D&D like games a few weeks back in the ps4 recommendation thread. kyleforrester87 has also played it!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

kyleforrester87 wrote:

POE is pretty good but DOS1 is much better. I do like the high-res pre-rendered backgrounds in POE, and the darker tone will probably make it a better game than DOS for some.

A big but though (for POE) is the awful loading times. After 20 hours or so the loading screens can take 1-2 minutes, and consider you might be in a city going into a shop (1 loading screen), going up the stair case (another loading screen), back into the shop (another loading screen) back to the city (another loading screen). Yup, 5 or more minutes of loading screens versus 15 seconds of game play. I was having fun but I had to throw in the towel. It's awful!

As for POE2, it's not out until the end of the year or beyond, I will get it only if the loading issues are resolved. I believe it was down to the original being made on Unity. I'm not sure about this one

There ya go @Rudy_Manchego 👍 POE being Pillars Of Eternity (obviously) and DOS1 being Divinity Original Sin

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic