Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 3,421 to 3,440 of 7,480

Haruki_NLI

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy The newer Switch can last around 9 hours playing non intensive games it seems. Stuff like Sonic Mania that barely uses the GPU for instance.

As you say though, magical Switch. That's a special case. On average my DS4 lasts around 5 hours minimum brightness. Doesn't help it has two lightbars that do nothing though. Looks cool though.

As for games this year on Switch....err...

Links Awakening
Astral Chain
Dragon Quest XI S
Luigi's Mansion 3
Pokemon Sword
Daemon x Machina
Spyro

Probably some smaller stuff too.

As for PS4 ER.....yep. I got nothing and I just bought a Pro...

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

kyleforrester87

The only games really on my radar are:

Astral Chain
Links Awakening
Pokemon

And the only PS4 game on my radar is Control

Some good gaming to finish off the year, though.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Rudy_Manchego

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Ha ace - I clearly need to be less lazy! Thanks for that though.

I actually always confuse Pillars of Eternity with Divinity. @kyleforrester87 Thanks though, saved me £35 as loading screens kill me on games and no way the Switch port will be better than PC or other consoles.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

RR529

@KratosMD, honestly Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina, Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Pokemon S/S all look good to me. Not too mention smaller stuff like the Grandia HD Collection which is dropping soon.

There's so much stuff to play on both my Switch & PS4 (not to mention other stuff like movies & shows I want to watch), that I doubt I'll ever be able to play it all. Heck, I'm still working my way through Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3's story mode (and have barely touched the Infinity Trials).

I haven't even picked up Fire Emblem, but am more & more tempted by the day since people are raving about it, lol.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tasuki

@Rudy_Manchego If you like old school RPGs like Baulders Gate or Planescape Torment it's great. If not or you haven't played games like that there can be a steep learning curve and battles can seem slow and boring with gameplay being redundant at times.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Rudy_Manchego

@Tasuki I haven’t played anything like this since the late 90’s/early 00’s but keen to try some different genres etc. I seem to have more success with Switch games in terms of longer time investments since I can play when my wife is using the tv or when I am travelling.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

Rudy_Manchego

@RR529 @Knuckles-Fajita @KratosMD I think the rest of the year is pretty awesome for Switch games for me. Astral Chain isn’t the Bayonetta 3 I really want but will give it a chance, then Link’s Awakening, Luigi ‘s Mansion 3 and probably the Witcher 3.

Ralizah

So, this year belongs to Switch for me, between Astral Chain, DQ XI S, Pokemon S/S, and a whole bunch of third party games I'll be getting on Switch.

Next year is PS4 dominant, though, with Cyberpunk 2077, FF7R, Sakura Wars, (probably) Ys IX, and Persona 5 Royal all commanding my attention.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I've mentioned it here, but, with a cheap-ish 8bitdo adapter, you can play Switch games with the DS4. It works quite well!

BTW, my DS4 lasts five hours max. Sometimes less. And that's with settings dialed down. I want your magic DS4 that lasts for ten hours.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

It's just a GT Sport DS4 @Ralizah Nothing special about it aside from I think it looks rather nice, simple but stylish

And that's nice to hear about the 8bitdo... I'd rather get a little adapter then a new controller as they're so naffing expensive otherwise... Especially for Joy Cons and all the little accessories like the straps and stuff! 😅

Is it just me who finds Pokémon Sword & Shield a bit parody/ caricatur-ish with all the England references?

X & Y simply had the poodle pokémon, Faux Eiffel Tower, one trainer with a beret and the Medal Of Kalos having the colours of the french flag...

And Yet Galar already has a Strawberry & Cream pokèmon, a Corgi Pokèmon, Galarian Weezing with the Top hat, football satdiums for the elite four or whatever, faux Big Ben, the new "team" seemingly like rowdy football fans...

It seems a bit more ham fisted in it's representation to me, almost like any time someone from britain is portrayed in american tv, compared to Kalos' fairly reserved showing

I wouldn't know about Sun & Moon though if that goes overboard with Hawaii and other pacific islands references as I went off the series again after Omega Ruby

Maybe it's just me though

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Pokemon S/S's England references haven't really felt too over-the-top to me (except when they're CLEARLY supposed to be, like Galarian Weezing), to be honest. Actual British stuff I've watched in the past has often felt more stereotypically British than what I've seen in the trailers for the game so far.

With that said, cultural stereotypes never really bother me as long as they're not malicious, and I don't expect deep worldbuilding from Pokemon anyway.

Alola pretty much constantly screamed "Hawaii, but not really!" I thought it was an interesting setting. I just wish the game didn't feel like it was dragging me around by the ear with constant little dialogue boxes and cutscenes.

@Tasuki It comes with a thing you can plug into the bottom of the switch to get it to work in tabletop mode. Never tried it, though, as I use the joycons exclusively when the system is undocked. 8bitdo's products have all worked brilliantly for me, so I don't doubt it works well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-Wireless-Bluetooth-Raspberry-...

Here's the Amazon UK listing.

Edited on by Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

The only problem I have with stereotypes in Sword and Shield is the idea that everyone is an angry drunk Scot.

Because that's all Britain is apparently. Scotland and alcohol.

JohnnyShoulder

@Knuckles-Fajita That does sum up Scotland really well lol.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

Pokemon S/S's England references haven't really felt too over-the-top to me (except when they're CLEARLY supposed to be, like Galarian Weezing), to be honest. Actual British stuff I've watched in the past has often felt more stereotypically British than what I've seen in the trailers for the game so far.

With that said, cultural stereotypes never really bother me as long as they're not malicious, and I don't expect deep worldbuilding from Pokemon anyway

Fair point @Ralizah ! Shame about those legendaries though. They look rather ... Overdesigned to put it nicely.

They aren't those Black and White genie trio bad... But knock off Sif the Great wolf (Or even Koromaru from persona 3) and shield doggo (who I guess kinda reminds me of the Sun legendary for some reason) aren't exactly inspiring

Every Morrison's advert that has deals on alcohol usually has on screen text saying "excludes Scotland" sorry @Knuckles-Fajita but even the shops think that!

I did see somoone photoshopping a Greggs on one of the item shops (Or just a blue house) in Sword & Shield that actually did make me smile a little 😅

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Honestly, even with all the drama these particular Pokemon games have inspired, the only issue I really have with them atm is the cover art for physical copies of the games.

Untitled

There's something very... plain and off about them. And the images on the front covers... I dunno. They look sort of like fan art to me.

With that said, I'm getting Pokemon Shield digitally, so I won't have to worry about seeing the box on my shelf anyway.

I don't disagree that the legendaries aren't hugely interesting design-wise, but, honestly, I feel that way every gen. Gold/Silver was the last set of games where I was actively excited to track down the legendary Pokemon.

Although that could also be due to me having been a lapsed Pokemon fan between Gold/Silver and Black/White. I almost completely ignored the NDS-era games (Diamond/Pearl kind of sucked, and I've never understood the acclaim HeartGold and SoulSilver received; absolutely loved Pokemon Black, but never got around to the sequels), and I've still yet to play anything in Gen 3. Even now, I'm more of a casual fan than anything. I enjoy them well enough, but Pokemon games are never deep enough to really inspire me to keep going after the main story is done. I'm hoping that changes with these newest games in the series. I actually kind of like the limited Pokedex, as I feel like I'll have the opportunity to catch everything in this entry, and I don't have to worry about a bunch of event Pokemon that I either lost along the way or never had the opportunity to catch in the first place.

Ah... event Pokemon. Let's hope those don't come back. All Pokemon should be catchable in the games, and this trend of making certain legendaries only available via special events make me less excited to try catching the others, as I feel like I'll always have an incomplete set.

Edited on by Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah Event Pokemon are already back. Mew is in the game. Plus Gen 8 will add a few if it's own as is tradition.

What I'm curious about is if a later Gen 8 game adds further new species like Gen 7 did. Ultra added 5 new Pokemon and Let's Go added 2 more.

HallowMoonshadow

Oooppphh I see what you mean @Ralizah about the cover art. There is something a bit off about it despite it being like the others in the series. I think that double game gold steelbook case looks a little better though!

I made it to Diamond & Pearl (This is where the legendaries start to get a bit uninspiring for me) before lapsing on Pokémon orginally.

I rejoined at X & Y (Xerneas is pretty nice I think. Yvetal looks like some flying piece of bacon to me though 😅) before heading off again after OR & AS. So I'm a pretty casual fan too?

I did actually play White though a few years back, managing to get a new copy for £12 or so. I didn't like it in the slightest (Very ho hum and predictable) and I really don't like any of the pokémon from gen V at all!

As a water starter lover I'm very interested to see what Sobble turns into. There was a leak ages back (which all the other info it said has been true) that suggested he is spy themed... That sounds pretty interesting!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah

@Knuckles-Fajita Mew is obtainable via Pokeball Plus in S/S, so it's just hidden behind a paywall.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Gen V is my favorite. I really liked the fact that you only encountered new Pokemon in your first run of the game. The difficulty curve was on point. Visually, it did a good job of integrating 3D into the environments. And, most importantly, the writing was vastly better than every other game in the series, both in terms of plot and character development.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic