Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 481 to 500 of 4,472

RogerRoger

@mookysam Thanks for the tag! Especially since your thoughts chime with mine so much, especially regarding Maul's connection to Savage and how that gives Sidious the opening he needs to defeat him, as well as your musings on the state of the Jedi Order by the end of the Clone Wars, and Ahsoka leaving. The self-corruption and blindness of the Jedi is one of the biggest, most fundamental plot elements of the prequel era, but you have to go looking for it in the films; large parts of The Clone Wars show, and in particular those episodes, do a great job at fleshing things out and giving them weight.

I highly recommend you track down The Lost Missions if you can, because they're really excellent and it's what they'll be wrapping up when they bring The Clone Wars back next year. Otherwise wait for the inevitable "Complete Season Six" collection which will hopefully merge the two.

Glad you enjoyed and, again, thanks for the tag!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Oh, I figured that it might be showing on regular television over there, now that the season has wrapped and they're building hype for Season Two.

Sucks if it's stuck behind a paywall for Americans forever.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I honestly think every studio would have their own streaming service if they had the infrastructure to pull it off.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Oh, they're already underway, so you're bang on.

My partner and I are considering the Disney one, because he likes Disney films in general and I like Star Wars. I've also got to decide whether to pull the trigger on Worlds of DC next year, or just keep waiting for shows to end so that I can buy the complete Blu-Ray collections. I reckon I'd really like Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl and whatnot.

I do watch Gotham, but only because it's on Netflix. They just put up Season Four.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON That is interesting to know about Sharp Objects. Really enjoyed the first season of True Detective but not so much season 2 (although I didn't hate as much as some people did). But I'm not overly keen on Amy Adams. Think she is a fine actress and all, but find her a bit bland.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I will skip DC - Titans looks dreadful, and yet to see anything concrete for Swamp Thing. I use comixology for comics, but with Bendis writing/ruining Superman at the moment and for the foreseeable...
Arrow is bad. Especially if you've any affinity for the character, it's on the whole entirely too broody and painfully wishing it was Batman. The Flash is mostly really good, and generally gets better as it goes, they're certainly not afraid of playing with all of the toys from the stories as it were -and the effects work is excellent. Legends of Tomorrow is awful, but entertaining (I honestly think you'll love it! ) and cast always seem like they're having fun. Supergirl is mostly great, as others have pointed out, it does lose something after Calista Flockheart leaves.
The crossovers between them are usually pretty good too - but does mean you'll have to try and get through the shows in order of air date in true comic event fashion. I think it would be Arrow season 3 leading in to The Flash season 1, Flash season 2 & Arrow season 4 in to LoT season 1, Supergirl season 1 which crosses with Flash season 2 and so on etc etc... So have fun with that!

What the Arrowverse shows do tend to do very well, is fanservice (well, not so much Arrow, but still). Some of the cameos and supporting roles go to familiar faces usually tied to the respective franchise in some way, and as I said of The Flash, they'll use whatever they can from the comics usually to fine effect.

The next big crossover sets up Batwoman next year I think.

I really dislike Gotham. I've tried a couple of times and keep up with news on it - but I really don't like it. Especially for the Smallville factor - since by the time it ended Superman will be left with nothing but cats in trees to save! And like Gotham, Batman will have no villains left to fight...

Disney would probably be worth it.

@JohnnyShoulder I enjoyed True Detective a lot. I actually preferred the second season if I'm honest - I wasn't sure about the change at first but as good as season 1 was, the performances in season 2 were all so very good. I mean, Vince Vaughan - who knew?!
Sharp Objects is worth a go - there's a couple of things I'm expecting as 'twists', but they're not massively obviously signposted - and I could be wrong.
I like Adams, always puts in a good performance and looks natural - hopefully she doesn't fall in to the Hollywood surgery trap. (my misogyny is showing... sorry)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

mookysam

@RogerRoger Already got season six lined up to watch and really looking forward to seeing the last few episodes. It's a German blu-ray. Not sure why they never released it here, but I've noticed that with quite a few blu-rays over the years! I'll tag you in my post once I've watched it.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON Vince Vaughn is amazing in True Detective 2. He is even better in Brawl in Cell Block 99, a film I saw over the weekend.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

KALofKRYPTON

@JohnnyShoulder

Ah, not heard of it - I'll check it out!

Tasuki

Well so I have been seeing around the internet that next year's Arrowverse crossover won't include Legends, just Arrow, Flash, and Supergirl. It will introduce Batwomen (which was said so berfore) but it's odd that it's only including 3 out of the 4 shows this year.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

KALofKRYPTON

@Tasuki Yeah I just saw over on iO9. The poster is cool; nice to get a good shot of the new Flash suit.

I think Legends doesn't work all that well given the size of the team. that's a lot to manage. I remember seeing or reading something from Amell saying how gruelling the schedule became including the crossovers.

Legends is heading down the magic path this year too - so hopefully delving a little more in to Hellblazer territory. Perhaps they'll set up Swamp Thing?

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki well Legends isn't as popular as the others so maybe they are dropping the series?

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@KratosMD That really should change this coming season though. Constantine is due to become a series regular - so darker times should be ahead.

@FullbringIchigo I think it does OK. As I said above though - the people seeking the JC fix will likely flock to it.

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON Be warned it is very violent in places and the special effects are deliberately low budget.

KALofKRYPTON

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I'm really only thinking about Worlds of DC because of Batwoman. I have zero affinity with many of the wider heroes; I'm pretty much 70% Batman (and the wider bat-family), 20% Superman and 10% everybody else, so I'm sure the versions of Green Arrow and Flash presented in the shows won't rub me the wrong way (although thanks for the heads-up; I'll find a chronological order guide for watching all the crossover events). As much as the Titans trailer made me recoil in horror at what they've done to Dick Grayson, I'll still probably get drawn in, just like I eventually was to Gotham, which I like because it's just so brilliantly bonkers when you let it do whatever the heck it wants to do and view it as a separate, standalone take on the mythos.

@mookysam Ah, sweet. Enjoy! My copy is American; my partner tracked it down for me. I'm not sure I'd be okay with a DVD or Blu-Ray cover in a foreign language!

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@RogerRoger Oh I'm the same with games. I absolutely can't stand it, so I understand. At home our Blu-ray player isn't region free and we were unsure if the American copy of Clone Wars series 6 was region-specific so we got the German one.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@mookysam Wise move.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@mookysam yes it is region locked, i brought the Australian release as they are the same region as we are in the UK and added bonus it's menus are all in english

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic