Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 501 to 520 of 4,462

Jaz007

Family Guy is on the break room at work. It’s like if the simpsons was awful. It’s dumb and fails at its very unsubtle attempts to be funny. The characters are annoying and just off-putting too.

Jaz007

JohnnyShoulder

@Jaz007 Don't bother watching American Dad then lol.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

KALofKRYPTON

@JohnnyShoulder Ha! I do love American Dad.

@Jaz007 I quite like Family Guy - watched most of it up to the 6th season or so, usually pretty sharp. Lets not pretend that The Simpsons has been for the last decade (at least) though. It has the odd gem these days, but few and far between.

I'd highly recommend Final Space if you can get it, extremely well done show. I'm part way through Disenchantment, which is about as OK as the recent Simpsons stuff or some of the weaker Futerama episodes really.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RR529

After a long hiatus from Netflix I'm back (and have a huge backlog of shows & movies to get caught up with...).

GLOW season 2 (Netflix Original) - Pretty good season. If you like pro-wtestling and/or 80's period pieces it's worth a look.

The Crown season 2 (Netflix Original) - I don't think it was quite as good as season 1 (I really liked John Lithgow's role as Winston Churchill), but it's still a really interesting & immaculately produced series.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON I agree, Fam Guy and American Dad were ace when I was watching em. Roger the alien is such a amusingly trashy character, he could almost have his own show.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Jaz007

@KALofKRYPTON I think what was on TV was an older episode. I don’t actively watch the Simpsons either, but I enjoy whenever my dad has it on the TV. I couldn’t tell you what season an episode is from unless it’s Season 1 though.

Jaz007

RR529

Jimmy: A True Story of a True Idiot (Netflix Original) - Japanese comedy/drama that chronicles the life of entertainer "Jimmy" Onishi, but as if he's actually the dimwitted character he plays on TV. Had quite a few laugh out loud moments, and I recommend it if you like Japanese TV).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

KALofKRYPTON

Finished Sharp Objects over the weekend. Did not end as I'd expected, which is nice. It was a very well done project depicting patently damaged people without revelling in it too much.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

Speaking of animated shows not being as good as they used to be, I just watched Archer: Danger Island, the eighth season of once-great shock-comedy series Archer.

I was deeply disappointed, because after Sterling wound up in a coma at the end of Season Six, and the whole seventh season was his coma dream about being a 1930s private detective, I was looking forward to him waking up and getting back to "regular" Archer, but no. Not only was this entire season yet another coma dream, just in a different setting with everybody in different roles, it ended on a cliffhanger for YET ANOTHER coma dream, this time ripping off Alien. Not cool.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

Watched Iron Fist 2. Thought it was okay but definitely better than season one. Danny Rand is still kinda lame imo, but Colleen Wing steals the show. I like her character and her fight scenes were good as well.

I thought that Hokkaido scene in the finale episode was bonkers! It's one thing to channel his power into the guns and bullets but it's another to have those bullets both hit the enemy's bullet as well. That's some Ryo Saeba skills right there! haha

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet started the first season on the weekend. Reminds me of the first season of Arrow so far. I like in the Marvel TV stuff each characters combat feels a bit different.

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet @JohnnyShoulder I agree, much better than season 1. The way they portrayed Danny in Luke Cage seemed a lot better, so certainly I think most of the criticism has been taken on board.

As for your spoiler, I saw that coming as soon as he revealed the guns, right out of Red Dwarf! .

WanderingBullet

@KALofKRYPTON I'll need to watch it again but I thought it didn't look right. The direction where he was aiming his guns (which looked straight) but yet the trajectory of the bullets were going inwards. Also, I'm not familiar with Red Dwarf.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet I think it was intended as an element of 'control' rather than aim.

Red Dwarf is one of the last truly great BBC sitcoms.

Still technically going, but pretty much everything after series 7 ranges from unfunny to down right saddening to watch.

The scene reminded me of this from series 6: https://youtu.be/hRMORP8ykLA

Jaz007

Okay, I’m convinced college students made the new Str Trek show, (Discovery was it?). It’s the only way to explain the tone and general production, dialogue, humor (or attempts at), and acting.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

KALofKRYPTON

@Jaz007 Really... Discovery is really well put together I thought.

Do you mean The Orville? The Seth Macfarlane show? Because that totally fits with your description!

KALofKRYPTON

So, I’ve been watching Blakes 7.

For those who have no idea what Blakes 7 is – it’s a sci-fi show broadcast by the BBC in the UK between 1977 and 1981 (I think), written (mostly) and created by Terry Nation, the man who invented the Daleks for Doctor Who!
The series centres on Roj Blake; a political dissident in a federalised future Earth where the population is sedated through food and drink and penned in from the outside world. The Federation controls several worlds throughout the galaxy and Blake makes it his mission to break their stranglehold.
Nation has stated that he was heavily influenced by Doctor Who, Star Trek and Star Wars while creating the show.

Coming to it rather late as it was never a thing in our house growing up - we were a Doctor Who family you see - I’m quite enjoying it so far. It doesn’t quite have the overall production values (or budget, probably) of a lot of Doctor Who episodes from the time, or the special effects talent behind the scenes – but I can see why it was so popular.

The premise and set up is good, though some of the writing and consistency falls a little short.

I’m in to series 2 now and there is an obvious budget bump, as well as clear ‘can we make this sexier?’ direction. But yeah, it’s keeping me entertained.

Jaz007

@KALofKRYPTON Yes, that's it. Holy crap, I've never seen such a blatant and terrible clone. Since it was on the work TV I coudn't see what it was and it looked like Star Trek. I'm almost surprised it's allowed to exist. This makes straight Mario Kart clones look creative.

Jaz007

KALofKRYPTON

@Jaz007 It is at least made with a sense of homage and love for Star Trek. MacFarlane is a huge Trek fan; and in many ways, The Orville is more traditionally Star Trek than Discovery is.

I find it pretty hit & miss. The comedy is pretty weak and falls flat most of the time, but some of the episodes are very, very Star Trek in the best of ways.

Most Trek fans I know IRL really like it and it has some great involvement from Star Trek alumni.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic