Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 461 to 480 of 4,463

Tasuki

So I have been catching up on the current season of Arrow. Wow this season is probably the best one since season 3. I will admit though the first 5 episodes or so was a bit slow to get into bit after those episodes I am finding it hard to stop watching. I hope that Flash and Legends is this good.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

KALofKRYPTON

@Tasuki Never managed to enjoy Arrow.

From the casting, to the early 'not Batman'-ness to the flashback happy presentation. Just don't like it.

The Flash is alright. When it's good it's really on fire, which is often, admittedly - but I'd really like them to ease up on Barry. They promised that for last season that it wouldn't be 'everything is Barry's fault' all over again, but they just can't seem to help themselves.

Legends is dumb and annoying (they are too crap at everything), but entertaining enough most of the time. Hopefully the addition of JC and more magic stuff will work. Black Lighting was surprisingly very good, but I'd say the best of the CW DC stuff continues to be Supergirl at the moment.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Tasuki

@KALofKRYPTON Lol and Supergirl is the one I can't get into. I enjoyed the first season but midway through season 2 I just lost interest in it and haven't gone back to it. I might try it again once I finish the other shows but I don't just something about it doesn't interest me.

My Backlog

KALofKRYPTON

@Tasuki it is rather helpful that I find Chyler Leigh and Katie McGrath incredibly interesting.

Season two picks up for the second half. It's all pretty good from there onwards.

The producers total fan-service cameo selections are also much appreciated too, and even matches The Flash. I would say surpasses - but no-one's better than Dawson's Dad Flash! They even chucked in Julio from the old Flash series too!

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@Ralizah @Kidfried
Posted here to keep some thread segregation going...

How do you guys feel about the upcoming Watchmen TV show? I'm not sure but I'm assuming it will have deeper ties to the recent comics (which I've mostly not bothered with) than the original.

I'm not sure the concept really works for such an uncertain format - but I would like wider connections with the Arrowverse - as it opens up many possibilities given the scope of the Doomsday Clock/Rebirth comics.

Which as far as I understand poses that Doc Manhattan is directly responsible for The New 52 universe, and the resultant other multiverses as he attempts to fix reality following his observations of Flashpoint - I could be wrong there, shout up if you've read it!

Ralizah

@KALofKRYPTON I... didn't know that was a thing, actually.

I didn't read the new comics, either, as I''m not terribly interested in the wider DC universe.

I'm trying to figure out if I hate the idea more or less than the BtVS remake (WHY?!?!?!?)

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

KALofKRYPTON

@Ralizah Well apparently Doomsday Clock isn't terrible, which I always assumed it would be. I like the overall ideas as far as I'm aware of them - but direct iteration with the rest of the DCU is weird.

I hope Buffy is just mental. I read a few of the follow on comics and they're absolutely bananas! Don't really care though. Crap film turned mostly great TV show and silly comics. May as strangle the cash cow a bit more. Is JW involved?

Ralizah

@KALofKRYPTON It might be OK, but as far as I'm concerned, Watchmen is a great, complete story in itself. I don't see the point in ruining that uniquely deconstructive and literary GN by connecting it to the rest of the DC multiverse.

Joss is returning as "executive producer." The whole thing is weird. Why bring it back when it won't even stand out in today's television landscape that the original largely helped to create? Why make Buffy African-American and completely change the identity of the character? Why not at least have Joss return as the showrunner? It's all so unnecessary.

The comics are indeed bananas. I really didn't care for them. The TV show is my all-time favorite series, but I'm glad it ended when it did (especially considering Season 7 was a bit of a mess).

Edited on by Ralizah

KALofKRYPTON

@Ralizah
I really liked Glory, but it did feel like it had run its course.

Wait, I thought it was just a different Slayer? Full reboot?

Ralizah

@KALofKRYPTON The last season's Big Bad has so much potential (it's basically just the Buffyverse equivalent of Satan), and they do almost nothing interesting with it. And the potential Slayers thing... ugggggggh. The episode Conversations With Dead People is powerful and haunting, though, and is probably one of my favorite episodes in the entire series.

That's my understanding. A different Slayer would have been way more palatable. There's no reason not to just make a spinoff instead of trying to co-opt the iconic original.

Edited on by Ralizah

Kidfried

I read the prequels "Before Watchmen" and some of them were really great and could easily be their own miniseries. I think that's what I would most like, a season about Silk Spectre, a season about Rorschach, etc. The prequels read like TV series already.

I'm not interested in ties of Watchmen with the wider DC universe. And thus didnt read Doomsday. I'm really tired of the crossovers anyway. It's so lazy.

A big Watchmen TV series that tells its own story? Heck yes.

Kidfried

Tasuki

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah that's how I felt with Cat Grant. I really enjoyed her in the first season but then when the show moved to the CW they cut her part big time. I think that's probably why I just couldn't get into the second season.

My Backlog

KALofKRYPTON

@Tasuki her loss is actually palpable to be fair. The show does become enrirely more insular without her. Much more like the Team Flash vibe.

KALofKRYPTON

Speaking of The Flash - everyone seen the season 5 suit leaked shot? Not sure if I'm digging it just yet, like the general direction - but GG said they've adjusted it since the picture was taken.

Jaz007

Whatever Star Trek that’s airing on Fox (I’m assuming it’s the newest one) is absolutely awful. The acting, humor, dialogue, general look of the ship and its color pallet. It’s making me realize how good The Next Generaruon was. I home the continuation of it that’s coming is good. This awful It’s in the break room at work, and it didn’t take 15 min to see how bad it was.

Jaz007

RogerRoger

@Jaz007 I'm gonna assume you're talking about Star Trek: Discovery.

You're not alone.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

Finished season five of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, which I thought was really good with some of the strongest episodes of the run. I really enjoyed this season - particularly the Darth Maul and Savage Opress episode arc. The light saber duel between Sidious and the brothers was very exciting and well choreographed. What was particularly interesting to me is that the brothers seemed to genuinely care for one another. Maul took a particular interest in Savage's wellbeing and later held his hand as he lay dying. Is Maul evil enough to be a true Sith?

Also really enjoyed the final episode arc focusing on Ahsoka being framed for bombing the Jedi Temple. Honestly I don't blame her for her decision at the end given how, aside from Anakin, no one had any faith in her. They were very quick to view her as guilty without properly investigating or even considering a motive. Barriss Offee's actions were obviously terrible and extreme, but underneath it all I couldn't help but think that maybe she had a point about the path the Jedi had gone down - a path that does lead to their eventual downfall. Indeed, they are essentially now soldiers instead of peacekeepers, and have become pawns of Palpatine. Always nice to see more Ventress too, although it is in a much reduced capacity.

Such a shame that season six was cut short and the show got cancelled, given how many interesting storylines season five set up.

@RogerRoger thought you might be interested in my thoughts as I remember you mentioning it a while back.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

KALofKRYPTON

@Jaz007 hahaha I have pretty severe love/hate going on with Discovery. I like it mostly as a show, but all of the production design, position (apparently) in canon and technological representations bother me immensely!

KALofKRYPTON

Started Sharp Objects with my partner at the weekend - because Amy Adams

It is rather good so far - very reminiscent of the tone and pace of True Detective.

FullbringIchigo

@Jaz007 @RogerRoger Star Trek isn't airing on FOX though, that's The Orville, Discovery is on Netflix (or CBS All Access if your in America)

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic