Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 641 to 660 of 8,935

KALofKRYPTON

@PS_Nation That's a damned shame. He was 82 like, but still.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON That’s actually quite a few cross over actors. A lot of those movies I haven’t heard of. But I should have remembered Halle Berry though!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Rudy_Manchego

Also (though not all leads!).

James Marsden - Xmen and Superman Returns
Idris Elba - Thor and The Losers
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje -Thor 2 and Suicide Squad
Michael Fassbender - Jonah Hex and Xmen First Class etc.
Djimon Hounsou - Guardians of the Galaxy and Constantine
Tommy Lee Jones - Batman Forever and Captain America
J.K Simmons - Spiderman 1-3 and Justice League
Angela Basset - Green Lantern and Black Panther
Taika Waititi - Green Lantern and Thor Ragnarok

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution
You probably have heard of them - I didn't use the titles in some:

Hally Berry was Catwoman and Storm (X-MEN)
Michael Keaton was Batman and Vulture (BATMAN/SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING)
Zoe Saldana was in The Losers and Guardians
Josh Brolin was Jonah Hex and is Thanos and coming up as Cable in Deadpool (JONAH HEX & MCU & DEADPOOL)
Larry Fishburne was Perry White and the Silver Surfer (MAN OF STEEL/BVS/JL & FANTASTIC FOUR: RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER)
Natalie Portman was in V for Vendetta and Thor.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

WanderingBullet

@KALofKRYPTON Why not?lol

@Rudy_Manchego Taika was in Green Lantern?! Didn't noticed him in it.
Also J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson is one of the best casting decisions ever!

@PS_Nation Grave of the Fireflies was such a sad movie.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet Because Blade Trinity is the one of the worst movie sequels ever committed to film.

Casting Reynolds and Biel to sideline Snipes, casting Dominic Purcell as Dracula, casting Triple H and Parker Posey, the story, the tone, whole Nightstalkers pitch. It all makes for a hideously desperate feeling film. When Snipes actually gets screen time, he's great as ever. The rest of the film is pretty shoddy.

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet Batman & Robin has the great benefit of being unintentionally, absolutely hilarious!
I mean, talk about franchise killer - but it's still entertaining, rather than just stroke-inducing!

Trinity sits right alongside RoboCop 3.

RogerRoger

@WanderingBullet One society's trash is always a lone man's treasure and, in the case of Batman & Robin, I'm that lone man. I think it's incredible, I adore it and re-watch it often.

@KALofKRYPTON You listed Laurence Fishburne as Perry White in Justice League, but he wasn't in it, not even in the first cut (scheduling conflict). Sorry, I don't mean to be so picky, I've just been reading everything I can about that film lately!

And he'll forever be Morpheus to me, anyway.

Edited on by RogerRoger

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON @RogerRoger lol, I guess I’m pretty bad about actually paying attention to the names of the supporting characters in movies. I’ve watched BvS and MoS several times and never paid attention to learn Perry White’s name. I just think of him as the Daily Planet boss guy. 😂 And Morpheus. (I hear it in my head when I see him — “Free..your mind”)

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Quite right - there's a version of it in my head that's really good, is all...

@Th3solution Watch Daredevil though - the Director's Cut if you can.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I also think of him as the head of the IMF in Mission: Impossible III, where he has the great line "And it's also unfair that chocolate makes you fat, but I've eaten my fair share and guess what." Whenever I watch him bicker with Lois at the Daily Planet, I keep expecting him to say it and have to kick myself to remember that it was a different fast-talking, everybody-round-a-table scene.

@KALofKRYPTON Seeing as I thought it was really good, I'll just back away and be thankful I wasn't lynched for saying that I adore Batman & Robin...

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger JL is at best, average. Bit of a hot mess and lesser for the circumstances of it's creation.

Batman & Robin is terrible, but in the best way. For nothing else, it inspired one of Eric Bana's best sketches.

Search for his Schwarzenegger/ Ray Martin interview on YouTube. Gold.

WanderingBullet

@Star-Lord I've watched and bought most of the Studio Ghibli's films but not the latter two you've mentioned. I think it's because the artstyle/animation for both films didn't appeal to me. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is actually pretty good.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Rudy_Manchego

@WanderingBullet Nor did I, I was googling Green Lantern and then saw him on the list. Can't remember much about that film though!

JK Simmons rules in all films - the perfect J. Jonah Jameson!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Will do, thanks!

In my eyes, Batman & Robin is the perfect modern adaptation of Batman '66 and is the kinda film you just have to surrender to. It's just a big, bold, over-the-top living cartoon, in all the best ways. The production design is gorgeous, the scenes between Bruce and Alfred are genuinely touching and meaningful without getting too bogged down in melodrama, and the music is triumphant. Uma Thurman is a riot.

For the record, if Batman & Robin is my second-favourite film of the franchise, then Batman V Superman takes the top spot, so it's got nothing to do with a preferred tone (there's a raging battle between Batman Forever and the two Tim Burton films for third place... the Nolan trilogy doesn't exist in my head-space). The character of Batman is so varied and so many different things to so many different people, there's plenty of room for alternate takes. Perhaps it says a little more about me than it does the films themselves, when I've got two extremes as my top picks, but there we are.

My thoughts on Justice League are written out earlier in this topic, but since then I've watched it a second time, I've built all the LEGO and I can't stop listening to the score. I've been able to separate the end result from the backstage gossip and I'm pretty pleased with what we got. Is it what I expected? No. Is it what I wanted? Probably not. Is it a perfectly enjoyable, spectacular action flick with some moments of awesome peppered throughout? Absolutely.

My opinions have always been weird, though, so don't put too much stock in them.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

Annihilation - thought provoking sci-fi in the same vain as Arrival and Interstellar, although there is more action than those films. I hated those films though and enjoyed Annihilation.

I wanted to enjoy Annihilation. It looks good. It has the appearance of smart sci-fi. I went to see it on opening weekend. It pretty much turns into a pretentious horror movie as it goes on, though, and has nothing of substance to say. The Shimmer was an interesting visual metaphor for cancer, but that's about all I've got with regard to that movie.

But then, I absolutely adored Arrival and, against my better judgment, really enjoyed the hammy Interstellar.

There was about 20 - 30 mins when there were horror elements, but the rest of the of the film not so much.

The entire film is structured like a slasher, where the cast is picked off one by one until the final survivor learns the "truth" of what has been killing them.

Not to mention all of the weird body horror stuff in this movie caused by The Shimmer.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I do adore '89 - but have always lamented that Alec Baldwin wasn't given the lead role. Keaton does a grand job though.

Returns is the true master -class of production design. The refinement of the cowl and the art deco style suit in combination with the '89 Batmobile are the high points of Batman on film for me. Walken steals as always; Pfeiffer and DeVito are perfect, and while the whole thing feels like a rewrite might help it along - it remains the most watchable of all Batman films I think.

I find Forever to be a bit of a closet fetish for most people. It's actually a pretty good film - the 'sell more toys' sonar costume mentality is a shame, but it is again dripping with a style that's hard not to like.

Batman & Robin, is what it is. Mostly a shame, but Schumacher made what he set out to. He gets a lot of stick for it, but most people bashing him forget that he's probably made more films that they love than hate (like making A Time To KIll between Forever and B&R!!).

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I agree with you about Batman Returns; it's a beautiful film in many ways, and I think it has the edge over "Jack Nicholson is Jack Nicholson as the Joker in BATMAN (but don't worry, it's mostly about the Joker)" despite what most folk say. Don't take that as criticism of the first film, though. I quite often watch both together; they blend well. And yes, the batsuit from Returns is a huge improvement!

The toy companies didn't want anything to do with Forever; they thought the dark tone of Returns had killed the franchise, and it was only when Forever was an unexpected hit that they got involved with production design for Batman & Robin. All of the Forever merchandise was late in stores. The prototype sonar suit (which I love) was part of the plot, because Riddler destroyed the main cave. The story goes that the toy companies demanded similar for Batman & Robin, which is why the bat-family somehow manage to randomly change into their ice outfits between defeating Poison Ivy and taking on Mr. Freeze and Bane. If you look at Batman's ice outfit, you'll notice that it's the Forever sonar suit with silver bits stuck on, because the toy company demand was late and the designers thought they were finished.

If we were to introduce animated films (Mask of the Phantasm, Under the Red Hood, The LEGO Batman Movie) into this discussion, my rankings would be a little different, but I think Batman V Superman and Batman & Robin would still be duking it out at the top.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Jon Peters never missed an opportunity for merch sales!

I was a little 'too old' for toys at that point, but I came very close to buying the Forever Batwing on several occasions!

Hate the Sonar suit. It's exceptionally ugly. The Forever 'Panther' suit is nice though. The costuming for the series as it was peaked with Robins' Nightwing Style suit from B&R for me.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic