Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 621 to 640 of 8,904

Jaz007

I watched Justice League. I liked it, I thought it was a decent movie. Some of the complaints I’ve heard regarding a poorly explained villain or it being too much for the characters to be all introduced, I disagree. That being said, it was the weakest of the DC movies so far. It had some corny dialogue and tried to be too witty at times m, yet somehow some of that still worked as serious dialogue. I really liked how it utilized the background of the characters who have already had movies. Wonder Woman especially had good use. I hoe skirt really liked the Flash. I’ve never been interested in his character before, but I really liked and loved how he had some K-Pop (or J-pop) in the background whn he was getting introduced. The Flash also could have used a little more character progression. You can also tell the director switch in the beginning of the movie, but to be far that would be harder to solve.

Jaz007

RR529

Kingsmen: the Golden Circle (DVD) - Like the first, a really, really fun ride. While it's more in your face than the Bond films, I'm really glad that someone's taken the mantle of creating spy flicks with all sorts of cool gadgets while the modern Bond flicks are too busy chasing after the rough and tumble vibe of Bourne movies.

Caddyshack (Netflix) - One of the big comedies of the 80's that I hadn't seen yet. It's a pretty fun time if you know what you're in for.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RogerRoger

@Jaz007 Having just watched Justice League for the first time, I'd say that I mostly agree with your analysis. Thanks to knowing a lot of the production backstory, and having read previous Push Square comments, I went in expecting to hate on a total trainwreck of a film. Whilst not entirely satisfied that Batman V Superman got a worthy sequel, I was quite pleasantly surprised with what emerged from the cutting room.

Untitled

My biggest disappointment is that, if rumours are true, this is likely the last substantial appearance of Batfleck. He was already the biggest reason why Batman V Superman was such a triumph for me, and he does the same duty here. He was excellent, and the humour they give him fits with a softening of his previously-established take on the character.

Elsewhere, however, the humour does feel a little forced. Nowhere is this more starkly illustrated than the two post-credits scenes. In what's obviously a Whedon one, you've got Superman and the Flash standing in a random field, on a grey-looking day (the Flash even references the sun, for goodness sake), trading jokes and messing about. In the other, clearly the Snyder original, Deathstroke joins Lex Luthor on a yacht to discuss "a league of their own" and there's an undercurrent of subtle self-amusement and wit in Lex's demeanour that I found much more interesting.

But that's an extreme comparison. There were big scenes between important characters that I really appreciated being kept as serious as they were. I loved the little moments between Lois and Martha, and J.K. Simmons makes for an excellent Commissioner Gordon. I also felt that Steppenwolf was a pretty good threat; he was definitely a presence, and his parademons were scary when they needed to be, but he was also obviously setting up Darkseid (for a film we may never get to see now, but hey). The little visits to Themyscira and Atlantis were neat, if brief, and helped make this certainly feel like a genuinely important part of the DC Cinematic Universe.

As for the heroes themselves, well... as I say, I really hope we haven't seen the last of Batfleck. After doing all that work and taking him on that arc, from bitter vigilante to part of the team, I'd hate for that to be it. Wonder Woman was on fine form; they've really gotten her right, Gal Gadot does a brilliant job with her and long may she continue. In one of the more obviously-reshuffled parts, I felt like there wasn't enough time given over to dealing with Clark Joe's resurrection and subsequent instability. Something tells me the Snyder cut would've brought Superman back earlier in the story, had his fight with the others end a little differently, and given him some internal turmoil to reach his triumphant return... but no, he wakes up, fights on instinct, flies off with Lois, stands in a corn field for a bit and BOOM, he's back. In his previous two films, Henry Cavill has done some incredible work playing a slightly uncertain, divided Superman but here he was rushed along his development into a lighter, more classic take on the character (although I did like where he ended up).

The new guys were solid overall. Cyborg is probably my favourite. His role was much bigger than I expected, and I'm sad to see limited praise for him in reviews, as I felt he was really well done (and a great performance from Ray Fisher). There was also a throwaway line (as part of a gag) where it was hinted that none of the other heroes trusted him, because he was born of a Mother Box; I'd have liked a little more time spent exploring that idea, but hey, gotta keep that runtime under two hours! Aquaman was exactly as I expected him to be; on the basis of this, I'm looking forward to his standalone film. The Flash... really needs to tone it down a little. He was great, and very funny and all, but I felt like they could've cut two or three of his jokes and made him a little more sympathetic (and I say this as somebody with a similar social anxiety problem, an establishing characteristic that I felt was papered over with jokes and wide-eyed looks to camera as the story progressed). The actor's got talent, so certainly could've handled some more weighty scenes.

Whilst I sit here typing, I'm listening to Danny Elfman's score. I actually quite like it, and I think the reason a lot of people reacted badly to it is because the sound mixing of the film shoves the music way, way into the background, prioritising the explosions, punches and other sound effects. Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL made their music a part of the film, and it was blasted out at the forefront on more than one occasion (remember the scene where Lex Luthor enters the Kryptonian crash site for the first time, and the thudding piano chords matched his footsteps? Still gives me chills) but almost the entire score in Justice League feels like a whisper... which is a shame, as there's some really good stuff in here. I've got no problem bringing back the classic Batman and Superman themes; I just wish that the sound mixers were a little bolder in those all-important moments (especially Batman's big moments and Superman fighting the Flash).

Nevertheless, there are some really memorable moments throughout. The first shot of Wonder Woman in London was awesome. The tunnel fight with the Knightcrawler was spectacular, as was the big finale (parts of that really were a "living comic book"). Everything Alfred said was genius, just like in Batman V Superman... and, for the most part, I really enjoyed watching it.

It'll be interesting to give it a second pass. I'll either embrace it for what it is on the surface, or delve down deeper into the potential of what might've been and come back up a little more disappointed. Get me in the right mood, and I hope it'll be the former.

Oh, and when I picked up the Blu-Ray earlier, I also grabbed a copy of the DC Animation film Batman: Gotham By Gaslight, which I'd been looking forward to but the actual release of which must've passed me by. I'll be giving that a watch tomorrow, most likely, in anticipation of the forthcoming Batman: Ninja (which looks stunning; roll on May). I'll try and remember to leave my thoughts around here somewhere.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

I've been having a rough week, so I've escaped into DC films. I watched Batman: Gotham By Gaslight as planned and found it pretty solid, if not spectacularly incredible. I wasn't familiar with the comic book's storyline and so was nicely surprised when Jack the Ripper's identity was revealed, as it does a good job of pointing you in other directions or, in my case, playing to your expectation for a more traditional bat-story. The finale was an excellent, imaginative sequence, too. I can see why they wanted to make a game out of it.

Then I watched Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman, both for the second time. The former really doesn't hold up. I thought it was "okay... just okay" first time through and coming back to it made it worse. It's just a mess, and the nuggets of good (about half the cast, particularly Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Viola Davis and Jay Hernandez) are hopelessly buried in the rubble of what might've been, at one point, a promising film. Thankfully, it was Wonder Woman to the rescue; I wasn't as blown away as I was before, but that's simply on account of me knowing what was coming. It's just a great film on every level. The performances, script, editing, soundtrack, pacing, cinematography, choreography... everything, it's all just lovely. If it weren't for my overriding loyalty to the Bat, it'd be my favourite of the DC Cinematic Universe thusfar.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i finally got round to getting Under the Red Hood, i'm quite behind on my DC animated movies

as for Justice League i enjoyed it, not a masterpiece by any sense of the word but it was a fun, enjoyable movie and i agree on Suicide Squad it's a bit of a mess

also I hope that's not true about "Batflek" he is one of the standout performances as i have to say a great Batman so i hope he doesn't get cut back and we get a full Batman film with Batflek in the future

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I hope you love (or did love, if you've watched it already) Batman: Under the Red Hood as much as I did. I think it's a cracking film. Bruce Greenwood makes for an amazing Batman; he reprised his role for Gotham By Gaslight, forgot to mention that as a highlight.

Batfleck has been wonderful. Even in the Justice League reshoots, where people say he was looking tired and bored, he was fantastic. There were strong rumours that his standalone bat-film was gonna pick up on the death of Robin, hinted at in both Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad, and if it followed the same pattern as that famous storyline from the comics, well... it would've been something truly incredible. I'm keeping my fingers tightly crossed that he and Warner Bros. can work something out, although it doesn't look promising.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger to be honest i can see WB dropping the DCEU altogether if the next few movies don't do well which is a shame, it came in a post avengers super hero world, it was NEVER going to reach the heights that film did

as for Under the Red Hood i only got it this morning so no i haven't watched it but i will tonight

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Anxiously awaiting your impressions of The Last Jedi

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Yeah, I share the same concern. They might just trail off a lot of the planned continuity nods and have standalone films carry forward each character alone. As long as they keep the good, I don't mind them tweaking the average-to-bad as they go.

You're watching tonight? Ah, good... I was right to carefully word my post, then! Enjoy!

@Th3solution Thank you! Unfortunately, being a subject of Her Majesty, we don't get the Blu-Ray until April 9, so a week-and-a-bit to go.

Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

Less than a month to go, anybody looking forward to Avengers: Infinity War? I'm really loving what I've seen so far in the teasers and trailers. After that, it's Deadpool 2.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

JohnnyShoulder

Annihilation - thought provoking sci-fi in the same vain as Arrival and Interstellar, although there is more action than those films. I hated those films though and enjoyed Annihilation. One scene, oh mah gawd, is one of the most horrific and unnerving scenes I've seen in recent times. Cast do a really good job and the cinematography is impressive. Some of the cgi can look a bit low budget and some people will not like the ambiguity of some parts.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

It just occurred to me, that Ben Affleck has got to be one of the few actors to play a lead superhero in a Marvel movie (Daredevil) and a DC movie (Batman). The only other one I can think of is Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool and Green Lantern)
Am I missing any?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

Annihilation - thought provoking sci-fi in the same vain as Arrival and Interstellar, although there is more action than those films. I hated those films though and enjoyed Annihilation.

I wanted to enjoy Annihilation. It looks good. It has the appearance of smart sci-fi. I went to see it on opening weekend. It pretty much turns into a pretentious horror movie as it goes on, though, and has nothing of substance to say. The Shimmer was an interesting visual metaphor for cancer, but that's about all I've got with regard to that movie.

But then, I absolutely adored Arrival and, against my better judgment, really enjoyed the hammy Interstellar.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution
I'd recommend the Affleck Daredevil movie. It gets a bad rep', rather unfairly I think.

There's a director's cut version that is a better ride than the theatrical one - but in general it is worthwhile, and very 2003! 😁

As for the Marvel/DC thing... Quite a lot of crossover but not many as leads I can think of.
Hally Berry was Catwoman and Storm
Michael Keaton was Batman and Vulture
Zoe Saldana was in The Losers and Guardians
Josh Brolin was Jonah Hex and is Thanos and coming up as Cable in Deadpool
Larry Fishburne was Perry White and the Silver Surfer
Natalie Portman was in V for Vendetta and Thor.

Can't think of many more...

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution
Hugo Weaving! V and The Red Skull

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution Schwarzenegger! Conan and Mr Freeze

Can we throw in Billy Zane too? Only one film but like, 5 publishers have had a go at The Phantom comics 😂

WanderingBullet

If I'm not mistaken Ryan Reynolds was in the last Blade movie too.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet Let's not talk about that 😥

JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah wrote:

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

Annihilation - thought provoking sci-fi in the same vain as Arrival and Interstellar, although there is more action than those films. I hated those films though and enjoyed Annihilation.

I wanted to enjoy Annihilation. It looks good. It has the appearance of smart sci-fi. I went to see it on opening weekend. It pretty much turns into a pretentious horror movie as it goes on, though, and has nothing of substance to say. The Shimmer was an interesting visual metaphor for cancer, but that's about all I've got with regard to that movie.

But then, I absolutely adored Arrival and, against my better judgment, really enjoyed the hammy Interstellar.

There was about 20 - 30 mins when there were horror elements, but the rest of the of the film not so much.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

PS_Nation

Studio Ghibli co-founder Isao Takahata died.
Rest in Peace and thanks for your work.

PS_Nation

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic