Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 221 to 240 of 8,941

Tasuki

@crippyd: I didn't find Man of Steel as bad as everyone says it was, granted it didn't top Superman or Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut for me but it was ok. BvS though, I have no desire to see. Just way to much WTF are you doing Snyder moments for me, and add the fact that they brought in Wonder Woman and Doomsday... Yeah no thanks.

As for Suicide Squad one reason I hAve no interest in it (besides what I said before) is the fact that due to the movie it messed up all of last season of Arrow.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

crippyd

@Tasuki Arrow is something I couldn't get into, I watched about 6 episodes of the first series and had to stop as the acting was so awful. I thought the story was quite decent but I just couldn't get past the wooden performances from the entire cast.

crippyd

RPE83

@crippyd: Arrow It did get better. I appreciate it's hard to stick with something that's pants unless you are a really big fan of the material , but it does find it's groove about half way through series 1, series 2 is a blast then (in my humble opinon) it's been on a slow decline since, but still fairly enjoyable.

The Flash series 1 was fantastic though.

I will no doubt be watching Suicide Squad and Star Trek with lowish expectations. DC haven't really had a great follow up to the Nolan Batman trilogy, but this could be at the least fun, which was something that's been lacking in all their offerings.

Star Trek, I've enjoyed the reboot, but the last iteration felt like it's becoming less like Star Trek, and the build up for this and director haven't filled my confidence up. It will be fun as a generic summer romp like Independence Day 2, but perhaps not Star Trek for me which has felt a little sad. I see Disney are going to great lengths to make Star Wars movies "feel" like Star Wars to the fans, but draw in new ones. They do this very well with Marvel films. I wonder if Star Trek will be the DC equivalent and struggle for a tone, or balance between old and new. I'll still see it though.

Edited on by RPE83

RPE83

crippyd

@RPE83 It was about half way through that I binned it and yes The Flash is great. Seems I've derailed the thread - Sorry.

crippyd

WanderingBullet

@crippyd: Pretty much the same reasons that I couldn't get into Arrow as well. Plus I don't like the fact that he's brooding most the time. I much prefer the Justice League Animated Series's Oliver Queen.lol

I watched a few episodes of Season 1, skipped both Seasons 2 and 3 but watched Season 4 since one of my friends said it was good. After watching it, I thought it was not bad but still I found both the constant flashbacks and some of the supporting characters a bit annoying. :/

Just curious but was the idea of Rha's Al Ghul wanting him to be his successor taken from the comics?

Anyways, I'll be watching Suicide Squad as I'll watch almost any superheroes movies. The only ones (I think) that I haven't gone to the cinemas to watch were the Fantastic Four reboot (because I had a feeling the film was gonna be bad based on the trailers) and Ghost Rider 2 cause I'm not a huge Nic Cage fan.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

usb

Not been to the cinema in about 6 months last time the experience was ruined by some kid kicking my seat the enire movie and the parents doing nothing about it. Also expensive considering I can get unlimited movie rentals with Love film and prime online rentals for the same price as 2 movie tickets.

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

RPE83

@WanderingBullet: "some of the supporting characters a bit annoying. :/"
I read that as "Laurel Lance, Laurel Lance, Laurel Lance :/"

RPE83

Tasuki

Last movie I saw was Finding Dory at a theater called Studio Grill which was interesting. It had a full service resturant where you could get food like Hamburgers, pizza and even ribs brought to your seat while you watch the movie. They didn't have the traditional concession like other movie theaters instead they had waiters and waitresses that would come by when you pressed a button on your seat. Very interesting concept I will say.

My Backlog

WanderingBullet

Quite a few cool trailers/teasers coming out of Comic Con 2016.

Justice League - While I'm still not completely sold on it I feel it at least it looking better than BvS. Ezra Miller's Flash looks promising but it'll be pretty hard to top the X-Men's Quicksilver in terms of speed interpretation on screen. Wonder if Darkseid is the villain in this movie.

Wonder Woman - Some pretty cool action scenes so I'm quite looking forward to this one. Quite liked the tone and setting as well.

Kong: Skull Island - Don't know how I feel about King Kong being that huge but I hope they make a Kong vs Godzilla movie in the future. lol

Suicide Squad - I was hoping the main villain would be the Joker but some people think that those tentacles are Braniac's. So my expectation has slightly lowered since I don't think it would make sense to have these pretty regular villains fighting against such a powerful alien being.

Daredevil 3, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and The Defenders - Still haven't watched Daredevil Season 2 but I'm stoked for these four series. Luke Cage's trailer in particular was pretty awesome.

Tasuki

@WanderingBullet: That is the plan for Skull Island. The Godzilla movie that came out a couple of years ago was the start of it. Skull Island introduces Kong and eventually it will lead up to a King Kong VS Godzilla movie.

My Backlog

Anchorsam_9

@WanderingBullet: I agree, both Justice League and Wonder Woman look way better than BvS - and this is coming from someone who's not really a fan of DC's stuff. Justice League especially looks like it's cutting out the useless stuff that plagued BvS, so I'll be on the lookout for those. Skull Island I'm less interested in, but I can't wait to see a Kong vs. Godzilla movie in the future, since the last Godzilla movie was so good

Anchorsam_9

Twitter:

crippyd

@WanderingBullet I'm quite interested in both the Marvel and the DC stuff you mentioned. The DC stuff will hopefully be way better than the two recent Superman efforts, Suicide Squad and Justice League both look very promising (I'll find out in just over a week about Suicide Squad as it releases in the UK on August 5th). I do hope that Jessica Jones is a bit better as that didn't really light any fires for me. Daredevil season 2 is quite entertaining so far (I'm about half way through) and the others look interesting.

crippyd

WanderingBullet

@Anchorsam_9: Yeah, I like the Godzilla movie as well. Eventhough, I like both John Goodman and Tom Hiddleston, the trailer didn't really do it for me. Mainly because of the size of Kong but since the movie's by the creators of Godzilla I thought hey, they might as well make a Godzilla vs Kong movie not knowing Skull Island will lead up to it.lol

@crippyd Daredevil Season 1 is probably my most favorite superheroes TV series. Had to watch it online since I don't have Netflix. Been waiting for either a DVD or Blu-ray release for both seasons but looks I'll have to do the same with Season 2 and watch it online.

After watching The Legend of Tarzan two weeks ago, based on looks I think Alexander Skarsgard should play Gambit instead of Channing Tatum.

RR529

the Kong: Skull Island trailer was epic! I thought Godzilla (2014) was superb, and since this is from the same studio, I'm lookung forward to it (and the eventual Godzilla VS King Kong).

Afterwards, YouTube pointed me to a trailer for Godzilla Resurgence, the first new Japanese made Godzilla film in 12 years! I had no idea they were even making it until I saw the trailer, and come to find out it's releasing in Japan in a few days (and apparently from what I've gathered, is getting a western release later this year)! Looks totally awesome!

As for other recent trailers, Doctor Strange looks like it'll be a feast for the eyes (very trippy). I've never read the comics, but I've liked all the other MCU stuff I've seen, so I'm sure I'll like this too.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

BAMozzy

Kong: Skull Island looked okay but not to the standard that Peter Jacksons King Kong looked. I was really disappointed by Godzillas reboot. Whilst it had the more iconic lumbering Godzilla as if a man in a suit was inside like the old Godzilla movies I loved as a child, the pacing was slow, the story was boring and the ending was very anti-climatic too. The 1998 Godzilla had a better story and pacing, actually prefer the redesign of Godzilla too, but failed as a 'Godzilla' movie, making Godzilla the bad guy, killing him and the lack of MUTO's.

The DC and Marvel films look good. Dr Strange as a character has little appeal as I never read the comics. I never liked Capt America either but the movies are OK. I liked the Fantastic Four but the last movie in particular is terrible so goes to show good source doesn't always lead to a good movie or a bad source always leads to a bad movie.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Rudy_Manchego

Just watched 10 Cloverfield Lane which I really liked, very taught thriller. It has a love or hate it ending. John Goodman was excellent in it.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

crippyd

Watched Crimson Peak over the weekend, good thriller with slightly poor CGI effects, decent story and worth a watch.

crippyd

RR529

The reason I loved Godzilla (2014) is because, IMO, it really nailed the soul of Godzilla perfectly.

Godzilla at it's core is a story of how no matter how hard we try, we can't control nature, and I thought the focus on the destruction, and how it affects the humans, really got that. It was a slow buildup to the end, but one I thought was very much worth it.

I put this much more eloquently in one of Nintendo Life's threads soon after watching it in theaters. Maybe I'll try to find it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic