Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 201 to 220 of 8,893

BAMozzy

@themcnoisy: Its definitely not a patch on the original trilogy of films is it!!

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

themcnoisy

@BAMozzy: I only thought there were 2 original films. Man I've missed 1 of the Mel Gibson's films? That's actually a good thing. Woo hoo bonus.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

usb

Saw a few trailers/clips of the new ghostbusters movie it looks bad I think it will be a massive flop. It was a mistake to bring back such an iconic movie/franchise from the 80's

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

RR529

It's been quite a bit since my last post, so I've actually watched quite a bit.

Marvel's the Avengers: Age of Ultron (DVD) - I've enjoyed all the MCU flicks, and this one was no different. Lots of great action, and I especially liked the Iron Man/Hulk fight.

Premature (Netflix) - Essentially it's a raunchy Groundhog Day. Features a high school senior who must repeat the same day over again if he, umm... look at the title & infer for yourself, lol. It was alright I suppose.

Tokyo Fiancee (Netflix) - French film about a Belgian woman who moves to Japan to find herself (she was born there, but left when she was 5), and gets into a romantic relationship with her student (she sets up shop as a French instructor). It's one of those "arthouse" romantic films, so expect a lot of nudity, but I thought it was interesting seeing how she coped with the reality of Japan's social & cultural structure in comparison to her fairy tale like fantasies about the country.

the Hobbit: an Unexpected Journey (TNT) - Absolutely wonderful. It truly feels like a grand adventure through a vibrant, breathtaking fantasy world (with some truly awe-inspiring scenery), with a little of everything mixed in. Can't wait to see the others. This is one of those times, where even though it was bloated to 3 & a half hours with commercials, it still went by in the blink of an eye due to how engrossed I was.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

WanderingBullet

@RR529: Same here, I also loved the part where everyone tries to lift Thor's Mjolnir. Ultron wasn't as menacing as I hoped he would be, though.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Tasuki

I saw Warcraft over the weekend and as a fan of the series I gotta say they did a great job. In fact this is probably the best move based off of a video game ever. The characters looked just like they do in game especially Gul'dan. The locations OMG just like the game.

Of course if you don't know much of the game the movie is still enjoyable IMO. So if you like fantasy movies like LotR then you would probably enjoy this. I highly recommend it.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

RR529

@WanderingBullet, yeah, I can see what you mean about Ultron (and even Loki in the first Avengers, IMO). I hope the next villain is so powerful they have to gang up on it in order to stand a chance.

@Tasuki, yeah, I haven't played the game (not a fan of the subscription idea), but it's always looked interesting, and the movie looks like it'll be a good time. Too bad it didn't do well domestically, but I think China may have saved it (I think it's grossed over $200 Million there).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

WanderingBullet

@RR529: I actually preferred Loki over Ultron. There are just not a lot of great villains in Marvel's shared universe but I think both Loki and Winter Soldier (Captain America: Winter Soldier) are the best so far.
Like you, I hope Thanos is the real deal otherwise it would've been disappointing after all that build up.:/

After complaining about Ben Affleck's Batman being out of character. The other day, I watched Batman Returns (Michael Keaton) on TV and noticed he did something out of character as well by killing one of the Penguin's henchmen with a dynamite. 0_0

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Anchorsam_9

I saw Independence Day: Resurgence yesterday, and I really don't get all the criticism over it. It's one of the few sci-fi films that doesn't take itself seriously, which is a good thing, and I liked all the nods to the older films, especially with some of the peripheral characters returning (but Jeff Goldblum was the highlight obviously) Sure, a couple of the scenes were laughably bad, and it did have the problem of having too many subplots entangled into one movie, but it was an enjoyable film nonetheless.

Anchorsam_9

Twitter:

RR529

WanderingBullet wrote:

@RR529: I actually preferred Loki over Ultron. There are just not a lot of great villains in Marvel's shared universe but I think both Loki and Winter Soldier (Captain America: Winter Soldier) are the best so far.
Like you, I hope Thanos is the real deal otherwise it would've been disappointing after all that build up.:/

After complaining about Ben Affleck's Batman being out of character. The other day, I watched Batman Returns (Michael Keaton) on TV and noticed he did something out of character as well by killing one of the Penguin's henchmen with a dynamite. 0_0

Oh, don't get me wrong, Loki has much more personality as a villain than Ultron. What I meant by them being the same was that neither of them, on their own, stood heads & shoulders above any individual hero in terms of head to head power (other than Hawkeye & Black Widow).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

usb

@tasuki so you were one of the few that saw it in the US it only took $4 million in the US nearly all the money was made back in china. I was going to watch it but being as I never played WOW probably would not have made much sense.

usb

usb

Mad Max was nearly as dissapointing as watching England play Iceland

usb

usb

So how big a flop is the new Ghostbusters movie going to be? It looks truly awful and probably in anticipation of that they are giving the movie away free with the game.

usb

RR529

Ip Man 3 (Netflix) - The Ip Man films have always been great Hong Kong martial arts flicks, and this one's no different (though the first will forever be the best). There's tons of beautifully choreographed fight scenes, and while there's obviously the typical movie exaggeration, it's never too hoacky. Mike Tyson's performance had a lot to be desired, but I actually enjoyed his scenes.

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Netflix) - While not as good as the first film, it was still a great watch. The visual aesthetic the series uses is still one of my favorites in film, and it's full of brutal, over the top, stylish violence.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Since my last post:

Lethal Weapon - Great buddy cop action flick. It has a lot of action & serious moments, with just enough humor to keep it from getting too heavy. It seems like too many cop films these days are either too dead serious, or straight up comedies (like Ride Along), so we need more with a vibe like this. Will be checking out the sequels.

InuYasha the Movie: Affections Touching Across Time - The series is probably my favorite anime series of all time, and while the show is too long to run through every year (nearly 200 episodes, accounting for the Final Act), I rewatch the movies every summer. The first one is my second favorite of the bunch, and it was as good as always.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Tasuki

@RR529: Lethal Weapon was the pioneer of the buddy cop film, such a great movie sadly though the sequels aren't as good IMO.

My Backlog

crippyd

Over the next few weeks I'm going to be watching Star Trek and Suicide Squad, any one else going to see these and what are your thoughts?

crippyd

Tasuki

@crippyd: I still have yet to see the second Star Trek movie lol but this one does look good. As for Suicide Squad yeah I have no interest. For one thing I don't like how DC does their movies and second I don't like Will Smith.

My Backlog

crippyd

@Tasuki Fair play. The second one is really good, on par with the first (in my opinion) and I agree with you on DC's movies so far, I am just hoping that this is going to change this round for them. I am not familiar with Suicide Squad from comics so I have no expectations going in, I just hope it is more like the Marvel films than previous DC output. I haven't even watched BvS yet as I was so disappointed with Man of Steel.

crippyd

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic