Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 1,441 to 1,460 of 8,929

jacobia

@Ralizah Oo, Noroi is on Shudder, so I’ve added it to my playlist. Thanks for the recommendation!

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

jacobia

@FullbringIchigo Yeah, me too. I think Henry Cavill would make an excellent James Bond. I absolutely loved him as Superman...bit gutted that he’s no longer going to be in that role, and Ben Affleck not being Batman 😔

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Thanks for asking; if I'm honest, I think this is just an example of the usual rumours that do the rounds after a successful British TV drama. A couple weeks ago, we were talking about Tom Hiddleston and all his rumours started because of The Night Manager. Let all of the fuss over The Bodyguard die down and we'll see how serious a contender he is.

On a personal note, I think he's a bit too pretty to play Bond. The character is supposedly a handsome and suave gentleman spy, not an underwear model. But then that's quite a shallow view, for which I apologise, and I haven't seen him act in anything so I've got no basis for a proper opinion.

@jacobia Glad I'm not the only one who's gonna miss Batfleck and Cavill's Superman. I thought they were incredible, and I hope they're not just randomly recast, but that there's a narrative reason for swapping the actors out, so that they could potentially return later.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

jacobia

@RogerRoger On the topic of the DCEU movies, I’ve really enjoyed all of them so far (although not so much Suicide Squad). And I think it’s a shame that Zack Snyder is apparently no longer involved. Loved Man Of Steel and BvS, and I think Snyder’s style really suits these comic book movies. But I do also think that Snyder could do with a trusted, working partner, that absolutely gets his vision, but just helps him reign it in a bit and support him with manifesting it all into a more cohesive story. Kind of how an editor supports an author. Anyhoo, can’t wait to see Jason Mamoa (😜) in Aquaman, reckon it’s gonna be great 👍

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

RogerRoger

@jacobia Your opinion seems to be pretty in-line with mine (although from our encounters in comment sections before, this doesn't really surprise me).

Suicide Squad has been the only DCEU film that I haven't liked thusfar. The Extended Cut of BvS is not just my favourite, but one of my favourite films period, and I really enjoyed Wonder Woman as well. Man of Steel was great and I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed Justice League (only saw it on Blu-Ray and by then had heard all the behind-the-scenes woes and negative fan reactions, so in a weird way I think that helped; that being said, I'd figuratively kill to see the Snyder Cut).

As such, I agree with you about Snyder, and hope that DC isn't gonna abandon the unique tone they've developed in favour of making Marvel-esque films (because I'm totally ambivalent towards them). Aquaman and Shazam! should be their first tests; the former looks quite unique, but I'm worried about the latter, as the trailer just screamed "shallow popcorn nonsense".

PS: You're welcome to Jason Momoa as long as Batfleck sticks around.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

jacobia

@RogerRoger Absolutely, my good fellow, the Ultimate Cut Of BvS is flipping great. And again, yes! It was also via blu-ray that I first saw Justice League, really enjoyed it (in a throw-away popcorn kinda way), and would purchase in an instant a cut of Snyder’s....if it existed. Like, at all!
Now, Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy, in order of awesomeness, let’s see if we agree on this one:
1st - Batman Begins (by an easy mile)
2nd - The Dark Knight
3rd - The Dark Knight Rises
Okieboo, you may take Batfleck, but I’m gonna have to absolutely insist on the acquisition of Mr. Cavill, on top of Mr. Momoa........sniggers

My husbear and I need new staff, you see....😏

Edited on by jacobia

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

Ralizah

@jacobia Great! Be sure to post your thoughts when you watch it.

So, you keep mentioning Shudder. I checked it out and was surprised by how many decent films are on the service.

What is the quality of the streaming like? I'm heavily considering subbing for a month.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

jacobia

@Ralizah I’ve had zero issues with Shudder’s streaming service, and watch their content on my iPad via their app. I’ll post a link below, and you’ll see they offer a 7 day free trial. And if you like what you find and think it’s something you’d get a lot of mileage from, the best value for money option is the yearly subscription of £49.99, as oppose to the £4.99 per month one, because you’ll basically get 12 months for the price of 10.
And yep, I’ll definitely post my thoughts once I’ve watched Noroi....although I’m currently working through the wonderful The Haunting Of Hill House on Netflix, and I need to watch Apostle too, so....🤷🏻‍♂️
https://www.shudder.com/

Edited on by jacobia

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

RogerRoger

@jacobia I still get a little jolt of childhood nostalgia when Batman leaps for the Knightcrawler and the classic '89 Batman theme plays. If they had to replace Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL with anybody, I'm glad it was Danny Elfman. I've got a table full of Justice League LEGO; that's the kinda level they pitched the film and y'know what? I'm perfectly fine with that.

Batman Begins is the only film of the Nolan trilogy I own and kinda like. It works well as a standalone origin story; I really don't like what he subsequently did in The Dark Knight (one-and-a-half films mashed haphazardly together) or The Dark Knight Rises (total mess from start to finish). In other words, yeah, I agree with your ranking of them, too! Let's just not do the previous four 90s Batman films; that's where we'd definitely disagree, and I don't wanna ruin the streak.

And you're very welcome to them both.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@jacobia I didn't even know they made a Haunting of Hill House series! Guess it's time to stop ignoring Netflix again.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

jacobia

@RogerRoger Haha, cool! I love the Hans Zimmer/Junkie XL orchestrations for Man Of Steel and BvS, and I’m seriously in love with the theme they created for Superman.....ah-mayzing, dahling!!
Oh, go on, let’s do it!.....Ok, here goes......
1st: Batman Returns
A very, very close 2nd: Batman
Joint 3rd: Batman Forever, and Batman & Robin. It’s their villains that are the draw, I think, and their ranking is pretty interchangeable in that respect.

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

jacobia

@Ralizah Yeah, I’ve only watched 4 episodes, but I’m personally really enjoying it.

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

RogerRoger

@jacobia Well, I may have mentioned some of this before, but...

1. Batman & Robin
2. Batman Forever
3. Batman
4. Batman Returns

I hasten to add that Batman Returns is a near-perfect masterpiece in my eyes, so that gives you some idea of what I think of the three above it; if there were numbered scores, they'd all be 9s with the differences in the decimals. It's also a highly, highly personal ranking based on what I tend to look for in my entertainment (rather than a subjective analysis of quantifiable quality) sprinkled with a little nostalgia.

Also, there are probably some episodes of Batman: The Animated Series that beat them all. Can't wait for the remastered Blu-Ray release in a couple weeks!

Making It So Since 1987

jacobia

@RogerRoger Never seen B:TAS, but I’ve heard good things about it. So, you like Star Wars, yes? What do think of where we’re at with the franchise these days?

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

RogerRoger

@jacobia I do indeed.

I started with the Special Editions in the mid-90s and The Phantom Menace came out when I was eleven, so I was the perfect age to love the entire prequel run, as it grew up with me throughout my teenage years. As such, when Disney took over and practically rebooted the franchise with The Force Awakens, I was less-than-impressed (although I've nothing against the film itself; it's a perfectly-watchable piece of fluff, I just wish it were a little more original in terms of look, feel and storyline).

Rogue One was fantastic, though. That's the right way to expand a beloved franchise and add detail and context to the classics. That's kept me from swearing off new Star Wars for good, and I'll always make time for films of a similar calibre in future.

But I didn't see The Last Jedi at the cinema, waited for the Blu-Ray (and not in an "oh-wow-can't-wait" kinda way, either; in fact, I don't even think I got it on release day, which is something I thought I'd never say about Star Wars) and I still haven't seen Solo, although I will pick it up soon following a few good write-ups from folks on here.

Maybe that's okay, though; maybe, just as older fans complained about the prequels, I'm not who the films are being made for any longer. I adore "my" Star Wars (the six films and The Clone Wars animated show). That doesn't mean I wish failure on whatever happens next; I just know that it isn't really for me.

What about you?

Making It So Since 1987

jacobia

@RogerRoger Well, I was born in 1970, so I was 7 when ANH came out in 1977. And, as I’m sure you can imagine, I was just enraptured at that age: I will never, ever forget the ‘wow’ I got from the immersive opening scenes with the Star Destroyer chasing the Tantive IV. After TESB came out in 1980 my parents very kindly redecorated 2 of my bedroom walls with TESB wallpaper, plus they got me a TESB pillow and duvet cover set....you can imagine my joy!
I was 29 when TPM came out, and being an older SW fan......I totally love the prequels too, they had excellent world building (something missing from the sequel trilogy, I feel)! ROTS is my favourite from them, and rather than them being about the fall of Anakin, I see them more as the rise of the Emporer (an awesome character!!).
As for the sequel trilogy (so far), I liked TFA a lot, in spite of it’s rehash of ANH. TLJ...I appreciate it trying to deviate from the SW norms, and loved the whole Rey/Kylo stuff, but I’m really hoping that Ep. IX brings things back on track and expands more on Snoke, as well as the Knights Of Ren.
The Story movies: loved RO and enjoyed Solo. Never really watched enough of Clone Wars to get into it, and I’ve not watched any of Rebels. Have you played Bounty Hunter, back on the PS2/Xbox? Loved that game and it’s story, bridging TPM and AOTC. And on PS3/360, I loved both The Force Unleashed games. Oh yeah, special mention to Jedi Power Battles on PS1....good memories of playing that game with my son when he was 6.
And, to this day, I’ve still got most of my old toys from the original trilogy. All the figures, some vehicles and playsets. The figures, all still with their weapons, are all loose and stored inside old ice cream tubs. The vehicles and playsets are in their original boxes, but those boxes are in very poor condition.
John Williams is a genius, and his Duel Of The Fates is my favourite.

So, you didn’t say how you felt about TLJ? Did you watch your blu-ray in the end?

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

RogerRoger

@jacobia Wow, that's awesome! So you were the perfect age when it all started, similar to how I was the target audience for The Phantom Menace. I don't have to imagine your joy; I had my mind equally blown by things like the Boonta Eve Podrace and the Duel of the Fates (and yes, you're right, John Williams is a genius). For a good couple years, it felt like everything I owned had Darth Maul's face on it.

It's also awesome to meet a Star Wars fan who grew up with the original trilogy, yet also appreciates the prequels. You're absolutely right; the fall of Anakin frames the real story, about how a thousand-year democracy can be corrupted, about the arrogance of the Jedi and about the rise of Darth Sidious (Ian McDiarmuid is incredible). Thanks for challenging one of my preconceptions about Star Wars fans being generational. I always felt like the prequels only worked if you saw them at exactly the right age, and have leant heavily on my nostalgia to defend my perspectives on them before.

First time I watched The Last Jedi, I kinda hated it. I tried to be fair, but I reacted too strongly against the deliberately-divisive deconstructionism (try saying that three times) and it frustrated me. I then didn't watch it for a long time, but then recently gave it another shot, this time watching it with my partner, and we had a better time. I still disagree with some of the decisions made, most notably about how Luke's character was handled, but there's some interesting stuff in there as well, and you're right, the Rey / Kylo dynamic is pretty cool. I'm hoping for a more traditional Episode IX to wrap everything up, and we'll probably get it with JJ Abrams back behind the wheel, but that doesn't mean I'm against more risky Star Wars films in the future; I just don't think they should happen in the middle of a core trilogy.

If you can, watch The Clone Wars. Like the prequels, they start off a little goofy and kid-friendly but evolve and mature into some of the most fantastic Star Wars stories ever told. It was cancelled prematurely by Disney but they're bringing it back to give it a proper ending, and I'm so excited for that, moreso than anything else Star Wars at the moment.

You've also just named some of my all-time favourite Star Wars games (this is getting spooky!). Bounty Hunter is also a PS2 Classic on both the PS3 and PS4 and I don't mind admitting to therefore owning three copies total. Jedi Power Battles was my obsession for months, following on from The Phantom Menace PSone game, which is probably my top Star Wars pick. I also played a lot of Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II on the family PC back in the day. Brilliant stuff.

Even with the boxes in poor condition, you might be sitting on a goldmine with some of those original toys! Just out of random curiosity, have you ever gone on eBay and priced them up?

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger When you get a chance to watch Solo, I’ll be very curious to hear your take. Like most this Star Wars, it’s semi-divisive, depending on the preconceived expectations. I watched it again recently and quite liked it again. I still place it somewhere in the middle of the series as far as rank order, but for a SW film, that’s not too bad since they are all quite enjoyable.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

jacobia

@RogerRoger No, I’ve never got my old toys priced up. Thought about it several times as the years go by, but never took it any further. Both my parents have passed away, my mum in 2002, my dad in 2015. Now when my dad died, I received an unexpected sizeable inheritance, at a time when I was rubbing pennies together each month just to stay afloat. So I considered giving away all my SW toys to a children’s charity, with the view of them being able to auction the collection off. But i’ve chosen to keep them for my son to do with as he sees fit when I have died (and become one with the Force). The toys will be part of his inheritance.
Maybe he’ll see me as a Force Ghost 👻🙃

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic