Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 261 to 280 of 2,292

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON @FullbringIchigo Eaglemoss have announced details of the next wave of Star Trek starships at an event in Birmingham...

http://trekcore.com/blog/2018/10/star-trek-discovery-enterpri...

...and the good news is that they've confirmed that the Scimitar from Star Trek Nemesis will be a forthcoming Special Edition model in 2019, alongside V'Ger from Star Trek: The Motion Picture and the Planet Killer from "The Doomsday Machine" (TOS).

It's like they were reading this topic.

The article also has some great shots of other upcoming models, including the oft-reused Merchantman from Star Trek III: The Search for Spock and the hypothetical USS Bonaventure, the perfect evolutionary link between the NX-01 and the Constitution-Class. I'm not usually one for non-canon designs (aside from Captain Proton's Rocket Ship and Voyager's Aerowing, I've only got things that actually appeared in shows or films) but I'm very tempted by that; have always loved it.

There are also pictures of the Odyssey-Class USS Enterprise-F in there, too. I'm not quite sure they've been able to do the vast design justice, but it still looks okay.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger @KALofKRYPTON OK so who here is the Eaglemoss spy?

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

OK so this ISN'T Star Trek BUT we are Star Wars fans too right well

Disney just canned the Boba Fett movie after the poor box office results of Solo and honestly that sucks, we all know the main reason Solo did badly was because of the butt hurt fanboys boycotting it over The Last Jedi

i guess Boba will forever be dead in the belly of the Sarlacc, thanks a lot fanboys

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Weirdly, I think I'm okay with this news. Especially since we're getting a Mandalorian-focused TV show which sounds a lot like "Boba Fett - The Series", I'd hate for one of the coolest elements of Star Wars to be run into the ground (especially since a lot of what makes Boba cool is his mystery). There'll be plenty of wrist-rockets and jetpacks on the small screen, with a new character, and the films can move on to showing us something different.

EDIT: To keep it slightly on-topic, it's kinda like how all the new Star Trek shows and films have to have Spock in them. He was cool before, but now it's getting to the point where I kinda hate Spock, because he's everywhere and connected to everything. Just let it go. Write something new.

Edited on by RogerRoger

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yeah Trek has overused Spock as of late, he seems to be the center of everything now a days

FullbringIchigo

so Age of Discovery has a release date on console Novenber 13th

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2018/10/30/star-trek-online-ag...

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Cheers; was actually coming here to say the same, as I went on Star Trek Online last night and it's now the top news item on the main menu.

I know you tried it on PC, but will you be playing it on PS4 as well?

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

So Trek Movie came up with a list of Star Trek Halloween Episodes so here is the article which i will copy out here for ease and provide the link at the end of the post

Haunted Corridors, Salt Vampires, And Zombie Vulcans: A Star Trek Halloween
Untitled

Star Trek Films

First Contact – The “Borg as zombies” motif has never been stronger than in First Contact. Moody lighting, brand new Enterprise-E sets, and memorable moments both on Earth and up on the borgified Enterprise-E make this one a crowd pleaser.

Untitled

The Original Series

Catspaw – The episode made specifically for Halloween, it features dungeons, skeletons, black cats, witches, and bizarre little aliens parading around in human form.

The Man Trap – The first episode of Star Trek to air was much more of a monster-of-the-week episode befitting The Outer Limits, but the salt vampire sucking its knuckle and changing its shape, to say nothing of its native form, are all pretty freaky sights.

Wolf in the Fold – The is the other obvious Halloween-type episode in TOS. Written by horror author Robert (“Psycho”) Bloch, the episode continues the legend of Jack the Ripper, who’s now terrorizing women on colonies out in space.

The Return of the Archons – There’s something unsettling about a society stuck in a complacent limbo, broken only for a periodic violent bender called “Festival.” It was a unique idea in its day and Landru appearing in the underground hiding place of the resistance while the crew had just dodged a mob of brainwashed townspeople is still kind of creepy.

Untitled

The Next Generation

Schisms – This is a very Trekkian take on the classic “alien abduction” sci-fi story. Poor Riker can never feel rested, and it soon turns out that he, along with a handful of other crew members, has strong reactions of mundane goings-on in their lives. The holodeck is used as a tool for the group to explore the subconscious memories, as they come to realize they’ve all been experimented on, and the moment when they all start describing the exact same thing is definitely goosebump-inducing.

Genesis – Returning to a drifting Enterprise, Picard and Data realize that the crew has started to de-evolve. The makeup effects team had a field day with this one: Heavily plated acid-spitting Worf, Spider Barclay, and Fishy Troi are among the highlights. Even Picard got spooked!

Conspiracy – This is one of the most disturbing episodes and almost certainly takes the prize for the goriest episode of Trek. It’s another alien invasion tale where a pattern of strange decisions by top Starfleet officers leads the Enterprise crew back to Earth. This TNG season one episode feels like it could have been an episode of The Outer Limits; it’s even somewhat reminiscent of the OL episode “The Invisibles,” down to creepy multi-legged aliens that merge with humans in key positions of power.

Night Terrors – Adrift in a remote area of space called the Tyken’s Rift, the crew can’t get any REM sleep, except for Troi who keeps having the same nightmare every time she tries. Not getting REM sleep will really mess with you, and this episode shows just how creepy and violent things can get. Fights break out, bodies suddenly sit up in the morgue, eventually people can’t even concentrate enough to run the ship. If they can’t break free and get some solid sleep they will all eventually go insane — except Troi, who can look forward to becoming catatonic instead.

Untitled

Deep Space Nine

Empok Nor – It wasn’t really Deep Space Nine‘s style to get into the spooky creepy stuff. But “Empok Nor” is the shining example for the series, the episode is a kind of “haunted house in space.” The creepy abandoned (and now off-kilter) sister station to DS9 (aka Terok Nor) was a great way to have our characters face fear in the dark.

Equilibrium – As mentioned, DS9 doesn’t do a lot of spooky stuff, but “Equilibrium” is an homage of sorts to a psychological thriller, with a Hannibal Lecter-type of character in Joran Dax. Joran is a previous host to the Dax symbiont who snapped and became homicidal. His memories were suppressed by the Trill Symbiosis Commission, but suddenly start to surface and affect Jadzia Dax, who hadn’t even known he existed.

The Darkness and the Light – A disfigured Cardassian systematically murders Kira’s old Bajoran resistance comrades, and eventually traps a pregnant Kira (who is acting as a surrogate for Keiko O’Brien). It gets even scarier when we find her restrained on an operating table in the dark, as he plans to remove the child from her body as punishment for her actions as a resistance fighter years ago.

Distant Voices – Bashir’s mind is invaded by an aggressive alien. Trapped in his own mind and rapidly aging, he has to figure out how to fight his way back to consciousness before he dies.

Untitled

Voyager

The Haunting of Deck 12 – Essentially a version of telling ghost stories around a campfire, Neelix tells the Borg children a scary story around a lantern. A freaky energy alien, a spooky nebula, Neelix working to face his fear, and Janeway fighting for her ship are all part of the story.

The Thaw – Perhaps the scariest episode of Voyager ever, B’Elanna and Harry unwittingly join some aliens who are trapped in an alien simulation that could kill them just by scaring them to death. The alien artificial intelligence in control takes the form of a clown (played to perfection by Michael McKean), one that tortures with fear on a whim–and has his own collection of freaks along for the ride nobody wanted to go on.

Scientific Method – Another creepy episode, this one is kind of body horror-based. Invisible aliens experiment on the crew, creating all kind of bizarre (and dangerous) issues for them. The Doctor tunes Seven of Nine’s optical implant to see them and then the visual nightmare begins as she watches herself and her fellow crew members get the screws put to them, literally–and has to pretend she can’t see a thing, even when they’re sticking a probe in her.

Coda – Captain Janeway, near death, sees a vision of her father, Admiral Janeway, who keeps wanting his daughter to accept her death. Her alarm increases along with his increasingly aggressive attitude about how her time has come.

Untitled

Enterprise

Impulse – Filmed like a zombie movie, this season three episode shows what happens when Vulcans are exposed to Trellium-D, a substance that is used to line the hulls of starships to protect against the effects of the Delphic Expanse where the Xindi reside. A deadly neurotoxin for Vulcans, it gradually degrades their neural pathways, effectively turning them into zombies.

Vanishing Point – Hoshi is anxiously transported for the first time, now that transporters can be used on humanoids and not just cargo, and then through a series of events she starts to think that something went wrong and she is becoming invisible to the rest of the crew. This Twilight Zone-esqe season two show is a good option for an intriguing and slightly unsettling episode; even the title is reminiscent of something from The Twilight Zone.

Dead Stop – After the events of “Minefield,” where the NX-01 is pretty badly damaged by a field of Romulan mines, the crew gets word of an automated repair station. It sounds like just what the battered Enterprise needs, but most of the station is off limits, and there’s no one around except for the automated repair system. It starts to look like things may be a little too good to be true…

Fight or Flight – The third episode of the entire series shows just how new and uncertain things are to the Enterprise crew when they encounter a ship filled with corpses which are being drained of their bodily fluids for some kind of experiment.

Untitled

Discovery

Context Is for Kings – In the first regular episode of Discovery (episode three), we’re introduced to the spore drive and how using it can go terribly terribly wrong. The Discovery’s sister ship, the USS Glenn, is adrift — filled with distorted people turned into gory inverted pretzels, a freaky monster, and a shushing Klingon. The episode also features a character reciting Lewis Caroll.

Untitled

So will YOU be watching any of these episodes over Halloween or are you going to watch something else?

Original Article https://trekmovie.com/2018/10/30/haunted-corridors-salt-vampi...

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo That's a good list; thanks for sharing.

Some are more obvious than others; zombie Vulcans in "Impulse" (ENT) and the ghost story in "The Haunting of Deck Twelve" (VGR) are definitely designed with the genre in mind, but I'd never have called "Distant Voices" (DS9) or "Conspiracy" (TNG) horror-centric episodes.

I think that's the beauty of Trek; it can throw in any element it wants at any time, so whilst the really gruesome Remmick sequence is indeed worth sticking in the banner image, the rest of the episode itself is more "alien invasion action thriller" than anything else. It's also fun to see how many Brannon Braga episodes are listed from TNG and Voyager, because he's admitted many times that he's just a frustrated horror writer who loved taking horror concepts and re-purposing them as science fiction (hey, whatever works).

I'm sticking to comedy shows this year, as I'm a big wimp, but I'm tempted to watch one or two of the above between things now! What about you?

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger to be fair it's a pretty good list so i might just watch the lot of them and it's even easier now with the every series on Netlfix

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Absolutely; I've always got TNG and Voyager on my "Continue Watching for..." shortlist, because I'll frequently just stick on a random episode or two between watching other things.

That'll be quite a marathon to watch all of them, though! Best of luck and enjoy!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger nah it will be fine, after all i recently finished a entire Saga marathon of Star Trek, well Prime Trek all series, all film, all seasons, every episode

all in all i think it's about a months worth of viewing time, over 550 hours but i'm not sure of the exact number

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Stardate order, or broadcast order, or just series by series?

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger chronological broadcast order bar the TOS pilots so Enterprise, The Cage, Discovery S1, Where No Man Has Gone Before, TOS, TOS Movies 1-6 then with TNG DS9 and Voyager i stacked them so you know i watched TNG season 6 and DS9 season 1 together and then DS9 Season 4 and Voyager together with the TNG movies peppered in between episodes and i watched the Enterprise finale with the TNG episode The Pegasus as it was really just a add on for that episode anyway

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo That's a great approach. Having recently just re-watched TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise series-by-series, it'll be a few years before I'm planning another end-to-end run but, when I do, I'll either use your method or do the research and go for a true stardate order.

Also, love seeing the quote from Zee in your signature.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger personally i feel it's the best way to watch the series if your going to do a complete run through

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Well, that and drinking Earl Grey when it's TNG and coffee, black when it's Voyager.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo

Or when Q's son reprogrammed the replicators... "Coffee, black." "Make it yourself!"

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic