Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 281 to 300 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger @KALofKRYPTON so yesterday the official Star Trek Twitter page had a "Takeover" from Klingons and all of it was for a new Game apparently

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo It's just for Fleet Command apparently 😒

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah that's what i heard

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON @FullbringIchigo Forgive my ignorance, but what's Fleet Command?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i think it's a strategy RPG type game, i can't play it because for some reason it's not compatible with ANY of my devices even though i got a brand new phone last week

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Didn't even know such a thing existed; thanks.

If it doesn't work on your tech, it definitely won't work on mine, but I'll be upgrading to the new Xperia in the New Year and will keep this in mind. Might be fun.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger here is a bit more information

Untitled

Star Trek Fleet Command, a new multiplayer real-time strategy and role-play game that brings an entire galaxy of characters and ships to life for the ultimate Star Trek gaming experience, will launch worldwide on November 29 as a free download on the App Store and Google Play. The game, from interactive entertainment company and mobile games publisher Scopely, and CBS Interactive, centers on the Trek universe as presented in the 2009, 2013 and 2016 feature films.

Star Trek Fleet Command represents the first free-roaming multiplayer Star Trek experience to combine role-playing game style progression and real-time battles with enemy ships, all on mobile devices. A fast-paced strategy experience, the game brings players unparalleled access to the Star Trek universe along with an epic narrative that unfolds as they travel to the furthest corners of the galaxy.

Players in Star Trek Fleet Command can customize their gameplay experience as narrative paths branch and diverge depending on which of the hundreds of available missions they choose to complete and how they approach interactions with other deep-space denizens. Fans will have the opportunity to meet and build dream teams made up of their favorite characters, among them Captain Kirk, Spock and Uhura, and factions such as the Federation, Klingons and Romulans to fight alongside and determine their place in the cosmos. With each faction offering unique officers, ships and technologies to progress and utilize as strategic assets, the level of personalization offered in Star Trek Fleet Command is about as limitless as the universe.

To learn more about Star Trek Fleet Command, follow @StarTrekFleet on Twitter and @StarTrekFleetCommand on Instagram and Facebook.

http://www.startrek.com/article/watch-the-ultimate-fleet-command

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Ooh, cheers for this... interesting, and certainly a gorgeous trailer (that'll probably be completely unrepresentative of the final game, but whatever, I'm a sucker for flashy marketing). I'll keep an eye on it. Certainly good to focus on action for a Kelvin Timeline experience.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger it certainly is a nice looking trailer

FullbringIchigo

i figured it was time for another what's your favourite question and this time WARP EFFECTS

so which is your favourite Warp effect

TOS Movies
Untitled

TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT
Untitled

Star Trek 09/Into Darkness
Untitled

Beyond
Untitled

Discovery
Untitled

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo As beautiful as the Kelvin Timeline warp effects are, particularly in Beyond, I just find them really busy and messy (and what the heck are all those ripples doing to subspace?!). For me personally, nothing beats the clean simplicity of the "stretch and flash" from TNG, DS9 and Voyager, and then the mid-warp streaking stars. I also didn't mind the NX-01 leaving that short blue trail behind her as she jumped to warp (and dropped back to impulse).

I adore the warp effect from The Motion Picture, simply because it's adorably cheesy in both sight and sound. Everything in the film up until that point had been slow and graceful, and then suddenly it just attacks your senses in a split-second. Awesome.

And as bonkers as it is, I've gotta admit that Discovery's spore jump effect is a guilty pleasure.

What's yours?

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger sorry i took so long to get back but i was at work

anyway i would say the original Kelvinverse one, now i love the TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT version and it's iconic with the series but the Kelvinverse actually felt like the ship was going really fast

also the effect from Beyond was apparently what it looks like outside the warp field where the one used in the first 2 films was inside the warp field and i can buy that

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo No apology necessary, and I'd never considered that about the Beyond warp effect, so that makes a little more sense and sounds logical.

I just haven't found the Kelvin or Discovery effects to be as graceful as the others. Perhaps that's kinda the point; budgets were tight and so Berman-Era Trek couldn't do "spectacular" as much as "restrained" and so the limited pan and simple starfield was an elegant solution...

Untitled

...but now with more money and a push to make Trek more mainstream, it all just seems to have gotten a little frantic and chaotic. Which is probably closer to approximating the "reality" of breaking the laws of physics, and certainly does make your eyes pop, but it barely gives you time to take in the beauty of the ships themselves (which, let's be honest, is a big part of the draw for nerds like us).

All that being said, there were some spectacular warp jumps as the effects improved.

Untitled

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger wrote:

...but now with more money and a push to make Trek more mainstream, it all just seems to have gotten a little frantic and chaotic. Which is probably closer to approximating the "reality" of breaking the laws of physics, and certainly does make your eyes pop, but it barely gives you time to take in the beauty of the ships themselves (which, let's be honest, is a big part of the draw for nerds like us).

All that being said, there were some spectacular warp jumps as the effects improved.

Untitled

maybe that's why the Kelvinverse films have so many space shots to compensate and yeah there were some great looking jumps in later seasons

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Oh, I don't doubt it. For all my fanboy grumbles, nothing can argue with the impact of some shots from the Kelvin Timeline. Whenever I think of the Vengeance drawing level with the Enterprise at warp and opening fire, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger me too and that noise it makes as it does
Untitled

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Ben Burtt (same guy who does all the Star Wars SFX) is a genius.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yep like how he made the Photon Torpedo sound with a metal stick and a slinky

also watch that clip with Headphones on and it sound SO menacing

FullbringIchigo

OK onto Doctor Who and this weeks episode The Tsuranga Conundrum

honestly this weeks episode was OK but it was a little boring on a side note there was some good character development and of course the return of the 13th Doctor's Derp face
Untitled

i also thought the side story with the Pregnant man was pretty good

now i want to say something about Next Weeks episode judging by the trailer i don't think it's going to be a very good one and if i'm honest a bit unoriginal in it's themes, how many times has there been a story where someone goes back in time and interacts with an ancestor and ensures they do something they are meant to do

even Futurama did that

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo

Tell you what i'm going to make a Doctor Who thread that way we don't have to keep using this one, even if the only people using it will be me. @RogerRoger and @KALofKRYPTON

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic