Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 321 to 340 of 3,698

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy: And no you can go back at any point later on in the game, I just did chapter 13 and I've gone back to the "open world" to do some grinding before finishing the final 2 chapters.

I'd say just press ahead and enjoy the story.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

FullbringIchigo

@kyleforrester87: thing is when they did that with FFXIII people complained about it being linear, although i enjoyed XIII myself

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Fight_Teza_Fight

@KratosMD: It was disliked in the west, but it was beloved in Japan.
Among famitsu readers, FFXIII ranked as the forth best game of last gen (only beaten by Demon Souls, TLOU & Dark Souls). After all it sparked 2 sequels.
http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/11/23/demons-souls-best-ps3-...

I think it's a cultural thing. Final Fantasy XIII is actually my favourite mainline Final Fantasy game. In general I prefer linear to open world though so that's why it resonates with me more.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD: yeah by starting with the open world then leading into a more Story driven linear narrative was a good decision by Square, it gave us time to grow attached to the characters

@Fight_Teza_Fight: i like XIII as well but i don't think it got 2 sequels because it was good otherwise they would never have had to change XIII's ending with the time travel plot

i still think the rumours that they only made XIII-2 and LR because they sold a FFXIII 3 game licence to Sony and MS but then changed Agito to Type-0 and VsXIII to XV but they still had to fufill the licence agreement are true

(when publishers make a game they enter into a licence agreement with the system manufacturer in order to release the game on their system so IF Square sold both Sony and Microsoft a 3 game deal they had to fulfil it someway)

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@kyleforrester87: i thought XIII had a awesome soundtrack myself, although i agree on the other points the characters and story was weaker than FFX

themcnoisy

Does anyone think its ironic chapter 13 is the linear part of ff15, yet chapter 13 was the openworld part of ff13? Mad. (I'm only upto chapter 3 I'm going on the conversion above)

I liked ff13, I put a huge amount of time into it, but I wouldn't presume all the Japanese fans adore that game. Famitsu is a joke of a publication, with Squeenix a big partner. 13 has huge problems, its not just the story which is linear and curtailed. But it is what it is, a great game taken on its own merits, linear yes! Fun..... Yes. Although some additional freedoms could have made it even better. 13-2 was horse sh%£ and made no sense story wise written by some immature crack addict who's watched too much Dr Who, but 13-2 was a better FF game due to its gameplay freedoms. FF15 is a better FF game than both, more of the game staples are present with huge fan service. I think that's most fans issues with FF13 regardless of how much you enjoyed it, its so stripped back and by the numbers design wise that its the opposite of what Final Fantasy signifies. The levelling tree is a facade, the shopping at terminals is ridiculous and the lack of mini games is unforgivable. But when all said and done as a stand alone experience FF13 gets a solid 8/10 from me. As a final fantasy game it gets 3/10.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

xMEADx

On chapter 14 but i've gone back into the open world to finish off everything I can there before I move on. Great game and atm planning on buying the season pass. To easy though i've not died since level 2 (silly mistake) and i'm level 56 now, i'm looking forward to NG+ though I just hope it up's the difficulty in every area of the game. 8/10 for me simply because it is not challenging enough but that's pretty much the same with every game that's out atm.

xMEADx

PSN: xMEADx

kyleforrester87

@xMEADx: I am a little bit behind you, I am doing a bit of the open world stuff before finishing it off but I reckon I will save some because I do plan getting the DLC and doing a NG+, and I'd like to replay it with the PSPro patch too (and patched in cutscenes etc...)

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD: it would have been easier to buy the digital version off PSN, it's only about £8 i think

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD: i have FFVIII 3 times, 2 physical (original and Platinum version) and Digital on PSN, i have FFI & II twice (PS1 & PSP), FFIII twice (NDS & PSP), FFIV 4 times (PS1, GBA, NDS and PSP) FFV twice (PS1 & PSN) FFVI 3 times (PS1, PSN & GBA) FFVII 4 times (PS1 orginal and Platinum, PSN & PS4 remaster) FFIX twice (PS1 & PSN) FFX and X-2 twice (PS2 & PS4) all the others i only have one copy of although i have FFXII Zodiac Age and the FFVII Remake pre-ordered

but yeah it can be hard to find them physical at a good price now a days

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD: The 4 Heroes of Light on DS is a good one, and of course Dissidia 012 on PSP, the Crystal Chronicles series if you can find them and the Tactics series too

also if you like Final Fantasy Music then Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call is a must have, even though it's a rhythm game it's still loads of fun

also Final Fantasy Dimensions and Final Fantasy Brave Exvius are smartphone/Tablet games that are pretty decent

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD: I have only played a bit of FF2 and 3 and I think my experience was on par with yours..honestly these are historic games but I just don't think they are worth trying to play these days. 4 is a about as far back as I am happy to go lol

kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD: Christ, no thanks - I'd just watch a lets play instead I think lol. Hats off to you if you manage it, though. FF4 is pretty easy, and short, too! There's no shame in skipping straight to 9!

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD: strange i never had any problems with the final dungeon of FFIII, maybe that reviewer just wasn't good enough or didn't have a party strong enough, if your prepared there will be no issue (also the PSP version is the best one to play as you can actually complete the Mail side quest by yourslelf and get the final Job where as the DS version requires a second player to complete it)

but as for FFII, i whole heatedly agree it is by far the worst of the series (strangely of me because of the levelling system not for the reason you described) but i would still suggest you stick with it or t least come back to it (also play the PSP version as they improved a few of the issues that the original and PS1 releases have such as a proper magic system and a quick save)

themcnoisy

@KratosMD: 8 is my favorite game in the series, enjoy!

So I'm 20 hours into ff15. I really wish you could camp anywhere on the map that would be dream. I have to agree with some of the earlier comments in this thread since the release, with the way side quests are acted out now I'm into the meat of the quests and another big issue is the map layout. Similarly to my biggest bug bear of mgs v..... The cliff / border / forest blocking your path although its not signified on the map. Making a seemingly quick mooch to your next destination a hike around a forest or up a motorway.

Spoilers ***
it would be nice to take a few pictures for the paparazzi rather than constantly trekking back every time. I dont think this would be an issue if the fast travel was instant but it takes well over a minute sometimes to load up, not an issue once or twice but fast travelling through 6 or 7 locations really eats into your gaming time. I would also like a way to manage the hunts, only 1 at a time is so archaic. The quests to pickup 5 frogs and disarm 5 traps etc just what the hell is that nonsense? For all the amazing fantasy in reality greatness, hair blowing in the wind and cool uses of meals and camping it just seems so weird to be going around in circles to find 5 frogs, nobody does that in the real world so it shouldn't happen here.

They are all my complaints, pretty much mirroring what John Mc said a few days ago. Other than that the game has blown my expectations away and is exactly what I needed in a FF game. If I'm moaning about fast travel and sub menus that must mean the rest of the game is glorious, and it is!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

johncalmc

My girlfriend is playing Final Fantasy VIII on my Vita while I play Final Fantasy XV on the PS4. Firstly, it's making me a bit jel because I love Final Fantasy VIII and XV isn't as good, and secondly, it's making me hope that those rumoured collections are true for next year. If you give me the Final Fantasy series with trophies, I'm going to march through and platinum them. Currently one trophy off the platinum for XV.

johncalmc

Twitter:

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD: i don't think it was incomplete the game was done but they have taken feedback from players and decided to improve the game by adding new content and i'm all for that

johncalmc

@KratosMD: They need to. The story in FFXV is quite disappointing because there's so much interesting stuff in there that is barely fleshed out. There's entire youtube videos picking over every intricate detail - particularly about the heritage and motives of the villain - that were hardly touched upon in the game. I enjoyed it, but it's sad they didn't do more with the story. We're left filling in so many of the blanks ourselves.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic