Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 301 to 320 of 3,678

consolfreak1982

@kyleforrester87: well after I saw Kingsglaive I started to feel with Noctis even before I started the game - so far theres not much of a "big bang" like the Aeris Scene you mentioned - youre right on that one. But even without unseen Drama or climactic shocking outcomes FF15 still has an intriguing world, likeable characters, and a tense Story that I cant wait to see unfold and conclude.
Games and stories dont always have to be super innovative, overly creative, or Feature something never seen before - thats kinda impossible nowadays if you ask me. Its well enough if a game is just simple "good and fun to play". Its a bit sad that so many Gamers have lost the ability of just "having fun" and enjoying what is there - too many lose themselves in complaining and being disappointed. Nitpicking has replaced gaming for someones. I feel sorry for People like that.
From what I can say so far FF15 still has all the Magic, the love and Passion, and that Special Feeling about it that the series always had. And thats exactly what I was looking Forward too - for many years now (we all know how Long that title has been announced...).

so many games - so little time

PSN: consolfreak1982 | Twitter:

kyleforrester87

@consolfreak1982: lol I'm not nitpicking, as I said - the world, characters and so on ARE interesting. The story is - so far -badly told and lacking. I'm not going to blindly offer praise where it isn't due, I can see when something is not as good as it should be. The story COULD be even fine but it is not told effectively.. To say that "Gamers expect too much these days" with stories because "they've all been told before" is a right cop out - games with great stories release all the time!!

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

johncalmc

Having finished Final Fantasy XV, I would say that I agree 100% that the story is badly told. It's not that it's a rubbish story or anything, it's just that there's kernels of interesting ideas in there that are never fleshed out to their full potential, and there's a serious lack of explanation for some things that go on. There's one late-game plot point in particular that feels like quite a major development that is glossed over in about four seconds. I was sat mouth agape. I couldn't believe how they just brushed it off.

The story just isn't beefy enough. There's great moments - some jaw dropping moments - but it's all spectacle. The heart of the game is lacking because none of the various plot threads are given any time to develop. It's just like okay guys you're on a road trip you're still on a road trip you're still on a road trip okay PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT. Perhaps it's asking too much to expect a fully voiced, fully motion captured game in 2016 to be filled with all the little tid-bits of information that the much simpler - technologically speaking - games of the PSOne era had, but in terms of story-telling FFXV is simply nowhere near as robust as something like Final Fantasy IX.

It's a shame because Final Fantasy XV to me is such a silver medal. Perhaps, bronze. It's so close to being amazing. The combat, I think, is great. It's fun and flashy. The camaraderie between the four central characters is believable and moving. Some late game poignant character moments really hit home - however badly they're handled - because we grow fond of the main quartet. And the villain, I think, is absolutely fantastic.

It might be ridiculous to say, after a tortured ten year development, but I think it could really have done with another year in the studio to iron out the wrinkles. As it is, I think the game is great but lacking in some areas. There's enough good stuff here to outweigh the niggles I have with it. Am I disappointed that the story isn't handled better? Sure. But the game has enough good stuff going for it that it's still a great entry in the series.

Edited on by johncalmc

johncalmc

Twitter:

Fight_Teza_Fight

@johncalmc: I'm at chapter 8 and I genuinely can't believe what I'm playing...
Square are supposed to be master storytellers , but this is horrendous.
One second I'm fighting someone to the death, next they are helping me. No explanation.
(MINOR SPOILER) Someone goes away and its pretty clear that that story will be told in the dlc.
I can't imagine how someone that didn't watch Kingsglaive (and to some extent Brotherhood) is possibly able to make sense of the story-I can't.
Surely it can't get any worse?
Game has dropped to a 7 for me. Hope it picks back up. The combat is supreme and the open world is fun, if the story matched those it would be my GOTY.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

kyleforrester87

@Fight_Teza_Fight: @johncalmc: Glad I'm not the only one..I gave it a bit of slack chapter 1-4, 4-8 are just a blur of "what the hells going on?" So I'm hoping the last chunk redeems itself. It is a shame as it great in other areas.

Edit: totally agree with the fighting someone to death, then them helping you. I thought I'd turned over a few pages at once. Ive had to read a plot summary on Wikipedia to keep me appraised of what's happening - don't remember having to do that with previous FF games. Read something about the nights becoming longer but this hasn't actually been referenced in the game? :s

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

johncalmc

Well, for what it's worth, barring the largely terrible Chapter 13, I think the end of the game is brilliant. So you guys might think it redeems itself. I thought it was really cool where it went in the last hours and it left me with a strong enough impression that I could get over the seriously bizarre storytelling earlier on.

johncalmc

Twitter:

FullbringIchigo

@kyleforrester87: the ending is and the final few boss fights are really fun, also you get a picture with your ending stats on it to share too

EDIT: i would recommend that your at least around level 50 for the end game, it will make it a bit easier (i was level 40 and it was a bit of a struggle)

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

finalstan

@kyleforrester87: I barely started but nights getting longer was already referenced: in the Carbuncle tutorial when you are encouraged to look at the paintings.

Also, I appreciate you trying but feel that it's getting close to spoilers in a few comments, so probably will avoid this thread until I'm done with the game (so a good few months!).

Edited on by finalstan

finalstan

PSN: Ezofil

johncalmc

@FullbringIchigo: That being said, the levelling system is bonkers in this game. I spent practically the entire game smashing everything - I didn't get a game over screen until I was like thirty five hours into it - and then in the last chapter, despite being well above the recommended level, I was getting annihilated. The structure of the final dungeon is crazy. Unless I was missing something, you have to go past high level enemies no matter what, that are well above the recommended level for the quest. It doesn't make much sense.

Also, Square Enix have released a plan for future updates for the game that involve changing Chapter 13 - very wise, since that chapter absolutely sucks - and making some story changes to explain some things later in the game. I won't say what they are for spoilers, but you can look it up. It's not the first thing that I would have updated, but they're on the right track.

Edited on by johncalmc

johncalmc

Twitter:

johncalmc

@KratosMD: Yeah. Like a lot of the game, they've made some crazy archaic decisions in the design. I'm not sure whether the game scales enemies depending on your level or not, but when I got to the final dungeon at level 46, the quest was ranked at a 44, I think, the first enemies I came across were a 41, the second enemy was a 72, and the next ones were around 50. I had to actually bolt past them as fast as I could because some of the bigger ones could kill me in one or two whacks.

johncalmc

Twitter:

kyleforrester87

@johncalmc: Is it possible to go back and level up before taking on this section?

The last couple of chapters I played were, story wise, pretty great. Looking forward to the ending.

kyleforrester87

Fight_Teza_Fight

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/12/07/final-fantasy-xv-free-...

Roadmap for FFXV detailed.
Short term plans include a revision of chapter 13 & adding a cut scene.
I may slow down a little before I beat it then. ~56 hours in at chapter 8 & I've just unlocked a bunch of new side quest/monster hunts.

I might have jumped the gun a little with the side quests. They are getting more varied now. Particularly enjoyed the one at the Fort & in the sewers.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

johncalmc

@kyleforrester87: Yeah. The game never locks you out of side-quests etc. no matter what. There's a weird back tracking mechanic that lets you revisit places you've been before even when it makes no sense story wise. It gets explained in game later on. It's kinda cool actually. A lot of games just lock you out of things once you've moved on to a new place or whatever, but FFXV is just like "Yeah, whatever, go back if you want. We don't care it makes no sense".

Edited on by johncalmc

johncalmc

Twitter:

FullbringIchigo

@johncalmc: i found the levelling system fun myself and i was actually UNDER the recommended level when i did the end game (although it took everything i had)

@kyleforrester87: yes you can, when ever you go to rest you will see a option called Umbra, this allows you to go "to the past" (IE back to the open world) and you can just do what you want, side quest, fighting exploring or finding any Tombs you may have missed and when you ready just use Umbra again to go back to the "Present" and finish the story

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@kyleforrester87: there are 2 rest point is know of in the final area one is just near the gates (to the left) that lead to the final boss fights

themcnoisy

@Fight_Teza_Fight: That's great news! I'm 13.5 hours in at chapter 3. So hopefully it updates prior to reaching chapter 13!

Lads can If I unlock say chapters 4 and 5 in a row, do I lock myself out of any content ie) missed side quests. I'm hesitant to move on but I wouldn't mind forwarding the story a touch and then grinding for 10 or so hours after.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy: Chapter 13 wasn't so bad at all, I just finished it last night. Actually chapter 10 onwards has been pretty great, I think they should have just made the game linear and concentrated on expanding the story!

kyleforrester87

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic