Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 241 to 260 of 290

LN78

@KALofKRYPTON Have you heard anything about the Faulks and Horrowitz "writing as Fleming" official sequels that take place after "The Man with the Golden Gun" in the continuity?

LN78

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 I haven't. I did read a review of 'Trigger Mortis' while I was gathering the other 2 books from the classics run.
Not sure if I actually want to read beyond Fleming.

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

LN78

@KALofKRYPTON From what I can gather they are based on story treatments that Fleming himself contrived for an abortive Bond TV series. I'll pick them up if I see them in a charity shop or something.

LN78

andreoni79

I'm reading "Beyond words. What animals think and feel" by Carl Safina.
At page 60 I discovered that the one-millimetre-long worm "C. Elegans has just 302 nerve cells. (Humans have roughly 100 billion). Yet C. Elegans produces a motivating chemical similar to oxytocin, called nematocin, and its function is similar. It makes the worm seek sex."
Now I wonder if Kojima will please us with a Death Stranding DLC in which we play as a worm.

Edited on by andreoni79

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Draco_V_Ecliptic

I'm currently reading Tess of the D'urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. It is, in essence, a gloomy romance, with the references to romance being of the time they were written in, and the gloom seeming to anthropomorphize nature itself.

On a bare tree in a hollow place, A blinded form's unhaloed face, Sight, where Heaven is destroyed, The hanging visage of the void.

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

mookysam

Reading Reality Check by Carol Browne. It's a novella about a lonely middle-aged woman whose house is populated by a number of entities that keep her company. It's very cleverly written and I highly recommend it.

Thank you NHS

PSN: mookysam

Draco_V_Ecliptic

Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy. It's exceptionally well written and stands as one of his best. Does anyone else on here like to read Penguin Classics?

On a bare tree in a hollow place, A blinded form's unhaloed face, Sight, where Heaven is destroyed, The hanging visage of the void.

KALofKRYPTON

Continuing through the Bond set, I wanted to touch on The Spy Who Loved me and On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Spy Who Loved Me. It's an interesting change of pace for the series and shows that despite common perceptions, Fleming was more than capable of writing women. In my post reading research - which I tend to do if the book is markedly different from the film but without standard and obvious reasons - I found that while selling the film rights to the series, Fleming only sold the name to The Spy Who Loved Me and forbade it's adaptation. The book fared badly at the time, was savaged by critics and seemingly not particularly well liked by his regular audience, So dismayed by this, Fleming even blocked second edition and paperback prints of the book, which only happened after he had died.

I was really looking forward to On Her Majesty's Secret Service and wasn't disappointed at all. What a great Bond story! Like many casual Bond fans, I spent quite a long time only thinking about the film adaptation and Lazenby with derision. I came around to the film a few years ago, though it's still not the greatest outing on celluloid.
Something the film had no hope of conveying - is Bond's decision to marry. Not only is it handled very well in the story, we have the benefit of following this Bond over the period of several years. We already know what he thinks of his job, himself, women and the lifestyle he leads. We've the benefit of knowing his frustrations trying to chase Blofeld all over the world. The brilliantly handled relationship with Tracey feels genuine for him.
The film failed in this regard for several reasons, but I do thin the recasting is probably the biggest stumbling block. Had we seen Connery go through all of this after being with him through 5 films already - I think that would have lent a great weight to the narrative. Instead we get a new actor and one of the worst moments (the fourth wall break) in Bond ever put on screen.

Anyway. Still thoroughly enjoying the Bond books. On to You Only Live Twice!

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Draco_V_Ecliptic

I am currently reading The Hobbit. I find it a great introduction to the LOTR books and am interested in the Middle Earth games as well. Has anyone else read or played these?

I think the ambiguous, deadly yet playful character of Gandalf is an excellent creation ,also ,Beorn is a brilliant character, I won't spoil anything by saying too much about him, except that it would be an understatement to say that he is "at one with nature".

KALofKRYPTON

@Draco_V_Ecliptic
Despite my love for epic fantasy, I have tried and failed several times to get in to LOTR. Don't know exactly what it is - but it's never gelled with me.

The Hobbit is a good book though, had to read it at school.

QualityGeezer

I'm lucky my sister works in a library so has the power to order stuff in. I tend to get a few autobiographies at Christmas so just started Tyson fury's book. It's very interesting and refreshing his honesty about his mental health issues and the negativity he faced for being a traveller

QualityGeezer

KALofKRYPTON

@QualityGeezer That must be an interesting read!

I'm not much for biographies, but Schwarzenegger's was a blast!

QualityGeezer

@KALofKRYPTON funnily enough I have that too not got round to it yet tho. I've always liked an autobiography as long as it's written well and seems genuine. The best ones I've read have unusually been people I didn't have a massive interest in either such as slash that was a good read

QualityGeezer

LieutenantFatman

@Draco_V_Ecliptic
I read The Hobbit a few times growing up, was a favourite of mine. The Lord of the Rings, what sequel! Perhaps a bit longer than it needs to be though.

Just started reading Leave it to Psmith by PG Woodhouse. Fiction and comedy rolled into one has always been very tempting to me. And Wodehouse is easily one of the best when it comes to that.

LieutenantFatman

nessisonett

@crimsontadpoles They are very long. Great, but very very long. I have an old copy of the whole trilogy in one massive volume and the pages are Bible-thin. Still love them though, the movies are great but nothing quite captures Tolkien’s imagination.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Draco_V_Ecliptic

@crimsontadpoles I would imagine so, Tolkien's world is vast and labyrinthine.

FullbringIchigo

@nessisonett i have one like that, it was my grandfathers, then my fathers now it's mine

it's not in the best of shape anymore so i brought a new set

"Don't try to be a great man just be a man and let history make it's own judgments"

Xianders

Dracula by Bram Stoker. I read and write a lot because I want to become a writer. In addition, I also buy 6dollaressay and analyze them. Maybe I will succeed and I can become a good writer.

Edited on by Xianders

Xianders

Thrillho

@QualityGeezer The best book I’ve read recently was an autobiography called Barbarian Days by a guy called William Finnegan.

He’s now a staff writer for The New Yorker and won the Pulitzer Prize for the book. It’s actually nothing to do with his career but all about his love for surfing and follows him through his life focusing on that aspect.

If you’re into surfing it’s a must read. If you’re not, it’s still a fantastic read.

Thrillho

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic