Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 641 to 660 of 4,717

JohnnyShoulder

@WebHead That is good news man. Something we could all do with at the mo. Thanks for sharing it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@WebHead Great news! Obviously China’s crackdown on Coronavirus was, uh, brutal to say the least but I guess it was effective. Fingers crossed we can all get passed a PS5 and self-isolate with some next gen games to keep us going!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

BAMozzy

The 'rumoured' Lockhart is most likely a next gen console for the HD owners - if it exists. Yes it could do '4k' like the X does '4k' BUT you also need to increase the GPU power to render 1080p Visuals at 'double' (or more) the frame rates because it has a lot more frames to render per second. The CPU of the X is still going to be a limiting factor for higher frame rates too so even if they opted to keep the X, there would likely be games that couldn't run and certainly wouldn't run games at a competitive frame rate. Its bad enough that lower res on an S does affect the ability to see objects clearly at distance so at a disadvantage - although better with 1:1 pixel mapping (ie 1080p on a HD TV) but also having 30fps whilst others have 60fps and more in MP would be a massive disadvantage.

Not everyone will want to spend $500+ on a new console that is targeting 4k and they have a HDTV. They may feel like the benefits it offers is NOT worth the investment - especially as MS don't intend to release any exclusive games in the first year or two. A $300 HD version with a Zen 2 CPU promising much better performance - and some visual enhancements (ray tracing) is a much more tempting proposition. How many people made the comment 'IF the Pro/X had offered higher frame rates (60fps) instead of higher resolutions, they would have bought'? A lot have said that Sony/MS should of focussed on frame rate performance over resolution and the Lockhart could offer that.

If Sony do release their PS5 console cheaper - around $400-450, their doesn't seem to be much room to offer a cheaper, lower spec model that will also slot in with the PS4 Pro in Price as Sony will continue to make the PS4 for a few years. If the rumours are true on spec, it won't be as 'powerful' as the Series X with a lower count of CU cores in the GPU and could make more sense for Sony to offer a PS5 Pro in a few years. The PS4 and Pro can still offer 1080p - although not the frame rate but the PS4 isn't struggling to run games like the S - which always comes out bottom of pile on both image and performance quality.

If the X is going to be 'locked' to the S and not receive any unique software, then devs could 'refuse' to release games on the current gen Xbox because its not worth the effort to get games running and looking reasonable - until compared to all the other versions. Every DF comparison slates the S - not just for its 'low res' blurry image but the fact that it's also the worst performing versions too - the PS4 may have more 'dips' than Pro or X in some games but generally the image is decent and the Pro could do a full 1080p and offer 'locked' (or close to locked) and more likely to be supported by Sony longer. Another reason that MS may well be more keen to release a cheaper, lower spec version of their next gen because Sony's PS4 could be strong enough for devs to release their games on.

We don't know whether MS are likely to offer Lockhart or whether its just something they were seriously considering. If their Series X does turn out to be a lot more expensive - more than $100 more than the PS5, offering a 'cheap' HD version (that maybe able to use modern reconstruction techniques to offer images that look like the game is running at a higher resolution for those that upgrade TV's later) may make sense for MS more than it makes sense for Sony. Just because one does something, doesn't mean the other has to copy - it has to make 'sense' in their business plan too...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

JJ2

@BAMozzy
'Just because one does something, doesn't mean the other has to copy -'
Lockhart rumour have been going on for a LONG time. Consoles competition is real. Dont believe those who say theres no competition I.e. no console war. It's a matter of life or death for the companies so to speak.
I think Sony wanted only one ps5 model at launch but the last couple years opted to get a low end model ready to go too if Ms is going ahead with theirs. (Maybe why some management reshuffle)
That makes perfect sense to me.

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

WebHead

Although if PS5 does release this year it'll likely be in limitednsupply for select countries. If you were planning to get one this year I strongly recommend saving up and pre order asap.

WebHead

PSN: JTPrime93

JohnnyShoulder

@WebHead I thought it would be the case, especially with the tech the ssd's are using. A normal drive would most likely not be able to handle any game designed with the new ssd in mind.

Also interesting to read that the Series X seems a bit slower in loading than PS5, from the figures we currently know.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Jaz007

I hope it's more than a terabyte storage like the new Xbox. That's unacceptably low, and with only 1 TB expansion available. 2TB should be a minimum. It's already a struggle this gen using 2TB, let alone next gen. That's the worst part of the new Xbox specs, I'm gonna lose my mind if Sony does the same thing.

Jaz007

JJ2

@Jaz007
Idk. It's probably going to be 1T too but I like that it seems very easy to swap.

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

Ryall

@Jaz007 I think it’s going to be a case of buying a memory card once it’s full rather than having enough built-in.

Ryall

Ralizah

So, I think I'll add HZD 2 to my list of hypothetical system sellers.

Horizon Zero Dawn 2
Silent Hills (and/or the rumored reboot)
Persona 6
Final Fantasy VII Remake 2

The last two seem rather inevitable, but they'd only be system sellers if they were exclusive, and I'd have my doubts about that.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah I reckon Persona 6 will be exclusive, 5 would have come out on Switch by now otherwise. Perhaps they have a deal so that only spin-offs can appear on other consoles?

Ralizah

@nessisonett I meant not exclusive to the PS5. Persona 4 launched on PS2 well after the PS3 was established, and, even if it ultimately sold best, the PS4 version of Persona 5 was initially an afterthought. Atlus likes designing games for older tech, and the PS4 sold extremely well, so I'd expect Persona 6 to be designed with the specs of the PS4 in mind.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

DonJorginho

IM GONNA NUT.

SONY BACK OUT THEY COMA

Untitled

Edited on by DonJorginho

DonJorginho

redd214

Xbox yesterday, indie direct today, both Sony and MS doing announcements tomorrow! Gaming is brightening up a dark time

redd214

nessisonett

Hype!! Looks like they were waiting for MS after all.

redd214

@nessisonett don't think that's the case. This was apparently what they had planned for GDC all along so I doubt it was reactionary to MS

redd214

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic