Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 4,701 to 4,717 of 4,717

Th3solution

@jgrangervikings1 @KilloWertz Actually I do this a lot too, and I tend to agree with you about the deferred gratification of holding back before jumping onto the hype train on day 1. First of all it gives them a little time to patch the game and to hear about any bugs or issues that the midnight launch playing crowd uncovers for us. And secondly, it does help build anticipation and serves as a reward for when you finally get the time to really sink your teeth into the game.

It’s a little bit like saving your dessert for the end of the meal, getting your vegetables out of the way first and then being able to relish the piece of cake afterward.

There is a problem that if you wait too long then you lose some of the community zeitgeist, which is really part of the fun. Playing simultaneously with the launch crowd does promote a lot of cross discussion and shared excitement.

Edit: Btw jgranger, Hades is actually one of my backlog games that I’ve owned for a couple years now but still haven’t played 😅.
I need to get to that this year.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

I see Midnight Sons is one of the games on this months PS Plus extra. It's been on my wishlist for ages and almost bought it on a few occasions.

As a general rule these days, I try only to buy games that I know I'm going to play almost straight away. Otherwise it just gets lost amongst the backlog. And if there a game I fancy playing and it is on sale, I have a quick browse through my library to see if I have a similar game which will scratch the same itch. Usually there is, and I just saved myself buying yet another game I may not got round to playing.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Bundersvessel

@JohnnyShoulder Me too, I’ve been intrigued but not enough to purchase so I’m happy with this.

Currently I’m trying to avoid the digital sales as I want everything, instead I’m slowly picking up titles for my all time collection on disc which mainly consists of exclusives and everything else I try and parse from subscriptions.

Edited on by Bundersvessel

Pizzamorg

For what it is worth, Midnight Suns is one of my favourite games of all time. I never usually NG+ a game, but not only did I do it once, I then did it again. I have more hours in MS than I do in some live service multiplayer games 😂 I hope everyone who gives it a go ends up loving it. Its weird, and kind of a hot mess, but if you are the very niche audience for that title, it is gonna hit so right.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JohnnyShoulder

@Pizzamorg I remember reading your glowing review, which almost tempted me to buy it one point. 😁

I'll be adding it to my library fo so, but god knows when I'll get round to it! 😂

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@Pizzamorg @JohnnyShoulder @Bundersvessel It’s fortuitous that Midnight Suns has finally dropped onto PS+Extra because it had really interested me recently, on the back of my current enjoyment of Inscryption. Sometimes things just work out. I was inches away from just plopping $15 for it the other day.

My only concern is that it sounds like a really long game for a deck builder — 60-80 hrs for a thorough playthrough? That’s approaching the limits of my attention span. 😅

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

CaptD

@Th3solution I too am keen on playing Midnight suns as is @sorteddan so perhaps we should vote for it to be the clubs April game of the month. The trophy guide has it around 40 hours, there is dlc so that would bump it up although I won't be playing that.

CaptD

Jimmer-jammer

@Th3solution Inscryption is fantastic! An experience I’ll likely never forget. Sounds like you’ve got a solid lineup of games there! I’m curious to know what you make of Dark Souls II. It’s my personal favourite in the series but I understand that it’s pretty divisive.

I’m sticking to it! Team Ninja is a seasoned enough developer that I’m not worried about it being an outright bad game, so I’m committed to taking a chance at supporting their first effort at something this ambitious regardless of the risk of mediocrity. I do fear that sub-par presentation will sink it in the mainstream and that a more accessible combat system will alienate the hardcore audience, leaving a big question mark as to who will play this. Time will tell I suppose!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

sorteddan

@CaptD
Yes. Let's hijack game club for out own purposes... I was prob gonna get on it soon as I could anyhow. Gotta love democracy.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Th3solution

@Jimmer-jammer I’m a little scared of Dark Souls 2, as I got the Scholar of the First Sin version, of course, and all I read is about how difficult they made it with added enemies and such.

And when I did some wiki searching I couldn’t find any convincingly overpowered builds to adopt. I hope it will be a game I get to this year, but it all depends on the mood.

Th3solution

@Bundersvessel 👍🏼 Working on it. 😄

JohnnyShoulder

My Dad has acquired a PS5 slim. It seems better suited for him as the stand does seem to be less fiddly than the standard version. The disc drive and eject button is easier to access, as he forgets you can eject discs from the dash. His cabinet also has doors, which are usually closed due to the two cats. One annoyance is that the usb port for mine and his headphones is not at the back of the console instead of the front, so is more of a faff to get to.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder That’s good to know that the Slim’s stand is more stable. I really dislike the PS5’s stand when used horizontally. It feels so haphazard and insecure. If you plug something into the back (like the Ethernet cord we were discussing over on the Portal thread) it often can push the console slightly off kilter and you have to try to re-seat the device back into that very specific sweet-spot so that it’s level and not going to fall off with the next jostle that happens. Would it have killed them to just put a small groove or something like that so the stand slides into place rather than having to adjust it to be over those tiny symbols on the back of the unit? Alas, once my PS5 is firmly in place I hate to touch it so that it won’t get out of alignment.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I changed the stand a few months ago, as someone recommended one on here. It wasn't the same brand, but the design was almost the same, and a bit cheaper I believe. It is a massive improvement.

When I got here yesterday, alarms bells were ringing as his PS5 was sandwiched between a load of game cases. 😂 When I picked them up them, they were hot to the touch! And the console had not been on recently. I've told him the error of his ways and to find a new space for his games.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Oh, Papa Shoulder… 😂

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Tell me about it! He was also saying he couldn't get his headphones working on his PS5. When I got here, the USB dongle was still plugged into his PS4! 🤣

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic