Forums

Topic: Your Latest PS4 Purchase

Posts 1,701 to 1,720 of 4,206

mookysam

I think I'll do my Emily Kaldwin playthrough of Dishonored 2 soon, so fancied buying Death of the Outsider. It was only £9, which I thought was reasonable value.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Tjuz

@mookysam I really need to get started on Dishonored 2! The original is easily one of my favourite games of all time, having finished it twice and gotten halfway through a third playthrough, but I haven't gotten past the 2nd level (the very start of the harbour level after escaping Dunwall) of Dishonored 2 yet — and I bought it on launch day. I haven't looked into the game much on purpose as I want to experience it myself without knowing too much. How does it compare to the original overall? Maybe an answer to that will finally push me over the edge to continue it.

Tjuz

mookysam

@Tjuz I think it's better than the first. There are some extremely impressive levels later on in the game!

Black Lives Matter

Jaz007

I just bought Attack on Titan 2 for PS4. It’s asking me if I want to play the game on easy so it’ll be easier to progress through the game. The heck you take for me? This is Attack on Titan, I’m turning it up to hard. Brutal show needs to be a brutal game on the player.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

mookysam

I want to get Hitman but I'm confused by the myriad of editions. Does anyone know how the Definitive Edition differs from the Complete First Season?

Black Lives Matter

Bonbonetti

Dakar 18 is my latest purchase. It's certainly rough around the edges, as I expected to be honest, especially when it comes the AI behaviour (= very dumb). However, the gameplay is very unique and the maps are huge. Dakar in real life is predominantly a desert race, so there's mainly desert landscapes in the game. There's a surprising amount of depth to the simulation experience. For example if you get stuck in the sand you have to exit the vehicle and use special boards to help you loose, you may be forced to stop and repair your vehicle along the way if it gets too damaged, and so on. Learning the navigation is a big challenge, as well as keeping you vehicle driveable. It's more of a simulation game than a racing game in a sense. 10 hours in and I haven't noticed any major or serious issues with the game though, it runs smoothly. While I would rate the technical side of things 3/5 (audio and AI issues), my enjoyment so far has been 4/5. If they can patch the AI to behave more rationally (to at least be aware of my vehicle!) it would be great.

Edited on by Bonbonetti

Bonbonetti

SuperJoon

Just bought a PS4 for my wife to play. Got Black Ops 4 free with it so we can play that together now as well as gameshare the games I have!

PSN: SuperJoon84 | Xbox GT: SuperJoon

PSN: superjoon84 | Twitter:

carlos82

To celebrate finishing Spiderman I've treated myself to another exclusive in God of War. The game is excellent so far, looks fantastic, the combat is fun, particularly throwing the axe and a nice mix of combat and exploration/light puzzle solving so far

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

Thrillho

@carlos82 The combat in the game is great and has a good balance between really easy to get into but has real depth to it later on with some of the upgrades (especially ones that allow stance changes) and with the runes you get. Loads of customisation with the skills runes etc give you too.

Thrillho

Jaz007

I got Resi 6 to play online with a friend. We recently beat Resi 5 together, so now we’re gonna tackle this one.

Jaz007

MaccaMUFC

I’ve been in two minds lately whether to get a Pro or not with the news about PS5 but I’ve now decided I will, in fact I’m going to get it in the morning. I don’t think I would get a PS5 at launch anyway, it most probably wouldn’t have many exclusives at first.

When I eventually set up the Pro is there anything I need to change in the settings like boost mode or something to make the games run and look better and be Pro enabled?

MaccaMUFC

Jaz007

@MaccaMUFC Are you sure? I mean, the PS5 will probably be backwords compatable, then offer all of the advantages of the Pro. If you took off the price you'd pay for the Pro, it'd make launch a more tempting idea, because then you'll have a Pro and the new exclusives.

Jaz007

NecuVise

@Jaz007 I'm 100% sure it will be backWORDS compatible, it would be really interesting it it weren't

NecuVise

carlos82

@MaccaMUFC the Pro should automatically detect what kind of tv you have and set up accordingly. As for the games they should automatically download all the latest patches including any pro enabled benefits. So all you should really need to do is turn on boost mode in the settings, all this does is provide small framerate improvements to non pro enhanced games and makes no difference to how they look.

If you have a 4K HDR tv I'd say the Pro is a no brainer but if you still have a HD tv then that choice is a lot harder

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

MaccaMUFC

@Jaz007 I’m not paying cash for it, one of my kid’s PC broke and because I’ve got insurance for everything in the house they’ve sent over £700 in Curry’s/PC World vouchers, so I’m getting a couple of laptops for the kids for Christmas and treating myself to a Pro with the change 😃

I’m only getting a Pro for the exclusives and now it’s been almost 5 years since the PS4 released, there’s plenty of exclusives for me to play. When the PS5 launches I reckon it’s going to be around £500 and I couldn’t justify paying anywhere near that much just to play backward compatible exclusives and a few PS5 exclusives, also I use my XB1 X as my main console to play third party games. I may get a PS5 a year or two after it's been released though.

@carlos82 Thanks for letting me know, I do have a 4K HDR tv so it looks like all I need to do is enable boost mode then I’m ready to go.

MaccaMUFC

BAMozzy

@MaccaMUFC Hi Macca, If you want to know anything, you can always ask me when it comes to the settings - after all I too have a Pro and the same TV as you.

I would recommend the Pro - even though I do think its more of a 'half step towards 4k and not a 'significant' jump up from a standard PS4 in general. It's understandable as Sony want space to make a 'leap' for the PS5 as well as wanted to keep the Pro very much locked to the PS4 generation. As such, its essentially a PS4 with an extra PS4 GPU bolted in - with a few features added to make it 'fake' 4k better - such as Object Tracking for better Chequerboard rendering. As its predominantly an increase in GPU, you do get a higher resolution but that's generally it. Generally you get around half 'native' 4k - often less as 1440p is less than half 4k but its still noticeably better. The Chequerboard rendering - particularly in their own exclusives - is superb and my only issue, although very minor, is that textures don't always look as sharp as the edges.

I am not trying to put you off at all - just saying that as someone with an X, things won't look as sharp and textures can look blurry/soft. The games though are certainly worth playing and if you are engrossed, you don't notice these things. Its mostly when you go from an X to Pro, when the game isn't grabbing you at that moment or you stop to really look.

I saw you ask about PS+ too, that is literally like Gold. It has the same benefits basically - free games, online gaming, extra discounts in the PSN store. I believe it offers extra 'cloud' storage too which maybe useful if you want to back-up your game save data. Its up to you whether or not you will get the value from that - depends on whether or not you will buy enough in the store and take advantage of free games if you aren't too bothered about the online gaming. The free games work like XB1 free games too in that they remain playable as long as you remain a subscriber.

As for waiting for the PS5, I really wouldn't be surprised if that does come out in Nov 2019 - more than a year away. That would be 6yrs after the PS4 and 3yrs after the Pro. There is NO guarantee that the PS5 will be Backwards Compatible with the PS4, and if it is, to what extent. I think Sony will weigh up whether its detrimental to sales by not having it to whether it impacts on their hardware, other subscriptions (PSNow) and/or potential loss from remaster/ports to PS5. Both Last of Us and Nathan Drake collection are amongst the top selling exclusives. Some think that BC may help early sales - buy a console with a decent catalogue - even if they are all last gen games but it could hinder sales too - why buy a new console when you can play all your games on the console you have - swings and roundabouts.

It may also have some 'limited' Backwards Compatibility or maybe find some software solution like have a built in PS4 emulator. Not ALL games run as intended with 'boost mode' on Pro so they may have issues with some games - also the software solution may have issues with the two different PS4 hardware options in some games. Its not as easy as PC as those games were built to be run on various specs with gamers doing their own optimisation and downloading drivers etc to run the games properly.

If you have the money and time to play the games, then a PS4 Pro makes sense for those with a 4k TV. There are a number of great exclusives that gamers really should play as well as a lot of decent ones that are worth playing if you like that genre/style. I like to own at least 2 platforms for gaming and have no loyalty to any brand. The Pro is certainly the 2nd best console on the market with the best line-up of exclusives so its not difficult to recommend.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

MaccaMUFC

@BAMozzy I’ve got the Pro all set up and a bunch of exclusives are downloading ready for me to play later tonight. Part of the reason I got it today was because like when you said the PS5 may not have backward compatibility at all and even if it did it could be limited to certain games, Xbox was the same it started slowly but now there are hundreds that are BC on the XB1, with games being added every month.

I know most games on the Pro won’t look as good on the X but seeing as I’m only going to be playing exclusives least I know how ever the game looks on the Pro I know I’ll be seeing and playing it at its best rather than on a standard PS4.

As for PS+ I have no intention of subscribing to it because most of the exclusives I’m interested in are all mainly single player focused so I’ll never be playing any multiplayer. I did use the free 14 day trial that came in the box and I’ve took advantage of using the extra 5% off with the exclusives I’ve bought in the sales, The Last of Us Remastered, Uncharted 4 and the Nathan Drake Collection, Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls collection, Ratchet and Clank and Horzion Zero Dawn. I was thinking of getting the HZD complete edition but read that you don’t get the quest for Frozen Wilds till half way through the story and I want to experience the main game before I pay extra for the dlc.

I’ve got £20 left in my PS Store wallet but don’t really know what else to get, there’s a few big hitters I’ve not bought like God of War, Detroit Become Human, Yakuza 6 and Spider-Man but they are all £30+ and I could just rent them. I’m surprised to see that Until Dawn isn’t in the Halloween sale with it being a horror game, otherwise I’d of probably bought that.

Right now I’m thinking of getting either Uncharted the Lost Legacy, God of War 3 Remastered, Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture and Journey. I was looking and reading about both Knack games but they seem like a poor mans Ratchet and Clank. Gran Turismo Sport and Driveclub? I’ve got the best driving/racing games on XB1 with the Forza series. I’m not into games like Bloodborne, The Last Guardian and Shadow of the Colossus and I’ve finished games like Killzone Shadow Fall and Infamous Second Son. I’ve finished the first three Uncharted games and The Last of Us before as well but they are the kind of games you’d buy and play through again, especially when they’ve been remastered.

I’m really looking forward to getting Days Gone and The Last of Us Part 2, those are definitely going to be day one buys for me. I’m liking the look of Ghost of Tsushima but need to see more of it.

Edited on by MaccaMUFC

MaccaMUFC

Kidfried

@MaccaMUFC Are you into Soulslike games? Nioh is on sale this week for less than 20, but indeed, so is Lost Legacy.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic