Forums

Topic: The Trophy Discussion Thread

Posts 561 to 580 of 5,748

Kidfried

@johncalmc I'm pretty deep in Ni No Kuni 2 having done a lot of the side quests. Is it a lot of extra effort to get the Platinum? How would you describe the experience.

Also, very good list of plats. We have a lot of the same, though!

Kidfried

Ralizah

Looking at my trophies list...

Hotline Miami
Severed
Peggle 2
Velocity Ultra
Zero Time Dilemma
Corpse Party: Blood Drive
Gravity Rush
Senran Kagura: Estival Versus
Far Cry 4
Rayman Origins
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (this one takes WAY more work to plat than any other game in the series)

Except for Far Cry, all of these were PS Vita games.

I'd probably have more if I played on PS4 more often, but, with most multiplats, I generally opt for Switch and PC versions.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

johncalmc

@Kidfried Ni No Kuni 2 is one of those platinums where you don't really need to worry about much because you can't lock yourself out of any of the trophies, but there are a couple of grindy ones towards the end. By the way, top tip: if you're going for the platinum and decide to look up a guide, they nearly all tell you that you need to grind to level 90+ in order to defeat the toughest boss. That's absolutely poppycock. You don't. You can beat it quite easily at lower levels. I was low 80s I think.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Kidfried

@johncalmc That's still quite a few levels of grinding I have ahead of me then. Almost finished the game and I'm at level... 70 or something?

Thanks for the advice, though!

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

johncalmc

@Kidfried I think that if you do that bit last you should be 80ish by the time you've done everything else. I didn't grind and I was early 80s by the time I'd done absolutely everything except for that final boss.

johncalmc

Twitter:

JohnnyShoulder

@themcnoisy I thought I'd reply here so not to derail the other thread.

Thanks for offer but I still mainly play myclub in pro evo so I don't think I'm gonna go for the plat.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

themcnoisy

@JohnnyShoulder fair enough thanks for the reply. I decimated my team due to going for the plat (level 35 player in my club) I turned 2 black ball 3 gold and loads of silver into trainers. That was a mistake lol now I can't go back.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

johncalmc

I got the platinum in Watch Dogs 2, Murdered Soul Suspect, and Spider-Man.

johncalmc

Twitter:

RogerRoger

Bit of a boast, but last night I got my 31st platinum trophy, for Hitman: Blood Money HD Enhanced on PS4. The trophy list is identical to those found on the PS3's HD Trilogy, but the smoother gameplay and sharper visuals made me wanna stick with it beyond the standard "clear the game and get an even percentage" approach I'd employed before.

Some of those Silent Assassin ratings on Professional were insanely tough, so I'm actually really proud of myself. Usually I just platinum LEGO games or whatever, but this feels like I've properly earned one!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Thank you! This "pride" emotion is kinda weird, though.

I'm on Level 24, at 86% of the way through. That's 31 platinum, 282 gold, 983 silver and a whopping 3,898 bronze trophies in total (told you I usually went for the easy ones!).

I've jumped almost two levels since September, I think, because of all the new releases I've torn through, and because I stopped on a few that I was really enjoying to earn as many trophies as possible. Before I wasn't really paying much attention to trophies, but I've come to like them as a way to extend the lifespan of some games, whilst giving me something to work towards.

Congratulations on your level-up! It is sometimes a little soul-crushing when you look at your trophy level and think "yeah, that's not gonna increase any time soon" so enjoy the achievement!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

I wonder if PS5 will modify the trophy system at all. I feel certain that one’s trophies and level will port over to PS5 in the same way PS3 trophies traveled over to PS4. This is a no-brainer for Sony, given people’s investment and desire to continue the metagame. However, I wonder if the trophy system will in any way change — such as maybe a more organized and standardized implementation that coincides with gaming time and effort.

I find myself playing some games because of the trophies and some games in spite of their trophies. For example, I’m really hitting a lull in my trophy achievements over the last 3-4 months because of playing some games with long and difficult trophy lists, like Red Dead Redemption 2. I can go hours and hours without hearing a trophy pop, although the game is still enjoyable. Yet on the other hand, I find myself tempted to replay or grind for some easier trophies in games I’ve completed already, just for the satisfaction of getting the little virtual trinkets. For example I’m considering doing another Oxenfree run for the platinum. Both situations are enjoyable to me — that is, playing a really excellent immersive game and hardly earning any trophies, and playing a decent or solid game but getting a huge trophy horde for my time. (I don’t play any bad games just for the trophies) But I feel like I need to have both kinds of game experiences in my rotation - games that give me trophies and games that are just games.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I think, at this point, it's too much of a "known-known" for Sony and for developers (both first-party and third-party) to wanna change on any grand scale. I also think gamers would do their nut; there are some people who make an actual living from the trophy system as-is and their relief when it made the jump to PS4 unchanged was palpable. Sony won't want to alienate them, since they're also a large part of this new "influencers and content creators" group that they've been so careful to integrate this generation.

You're right in everything you say about the trophy system, but I think that makes it unique and more interesting than just a blanket score. I actually look at the trophy lists of my games, and of games I don't even own but see others playing, because the descriptions give you more clues as to the time / effort / skill required than the trophy type and suddenly boom, I'm invested in reading, thinking and learning about each game. If I just see that completing, say, RDR2 is worth 1,000 points and Sonic Forces is only 350, I'll just go "yikes, big game" and walk away. There's also the new grading system this generation (Common, Rare, Very Rare and Ultra Rare) which adds a nice extra element to the number-crunching.

And whilst there's a danger of trophies making you play things you don't enjoy or wanna play, that's up to the individual gamer and not the trophy system itself. You have to assume that every game is valued equally, because there's gonna be somebody out there, somewhere, who wants to find every last hidden trinket in Worst Game Ever '76: No Bubsy's Sky and you have to respect and reward that achievement. My approach? If I'm not having fun, get the game to an even percentage and move on.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@KratosMD I’ve never owned an Xbox product and didn’t realize that the point based achievement system provided a gradation to the achievements. An interesting variance that makes sense.

@RogerRoger I hadn’t considered the effect any change to the system would do to the YouTubers who create trophy guides, the entire websites that are trophy guide based, the players who hire out trophy support, or the others who might literally make a living on the trophy system. I’ve watched some of the Maka guides or PowerPyx or whatever the thing is and I’m amazed at these guys, who not only can earn some of these tough trophies, but who can then create an organized and logical video (or text) that can help others earn it also. I hadn’t considered how the current system affects some people like that.
Wouldn’t you like the ability to delete games from your trophy list? I also use the trophy list as a sort of record of my (and other people’s) gaming history. It helps me keep track of where I’ve been, long after I sell back a game and/or delete it from my console. That part is good. But for those games you pop in and pretty much hate after a while and just move on, or that you have bad memories of, then you’re pretty much stuck with there, sticking out like a boil on your list, drawing attention to that one game where you have just 1% or 2% completion. — I realize that you can delete it up until it’s synced, I think, but after that, you’re destined to carry it like a scar the rest of your days. A scarlet letter to bear showing that you played 30 minutes of “Worst Game Ever ‘76: No Busby’s Sky.” 😂 I believe that there is certainly an issue of the cloud saving a record of your trophies and how they are electronically maintained for fidelity of the system that relies upon this inability to delete and the requirement for things to be permanently recorded. It does seem like they could provide a way to organize the game trophy list however. Maybe have the option to organize the games by completion percentage, by date of first trophy instead of last trophy, and even maybe manually so a person could put the his or her favorite games at the top of the list and all the garbage ones at the bottom.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Th3solution

Wouldn’t you like the ability to delete games from your trophy list?

You can do this already on the PS4.

EDIT: although this may only be for games you have 0% for.

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Ah, but now you're talking about general profile maintenance and presentational tweaks; those I'm not only in support of, I'm actually desperate for. I hate that the PS3 has an alphabetical list, but the PS4 has a chronological one. I'd love some kind of presentational standardisation for our trophy data across the PlayStation family (which is probably what Sony will call it when they kill the PS3, but hey).

Before, I thought you were asking about whether the core mechanics and design of the trophy system itself would change, and that's what I was answering. Trophies are here to stay. We might be able to make them a little more accessible and pretty, but that'll be about it.

With regards your specific question about deleting low-scoring percentages, I'm afraid to say that I don't have that problem. I only have a couple games with trophy percentages south of twenty, and my lowest percentage is WipEout: Omega Collection, currently at 10% (I played the game at the wrong time, when I couldn't give it the proper attention to "git gud" and accomplish much; it remains installed on my HDD, waiting for the right opening in my backlog). I did have The Playroom trophies associated with my profile by accident, triggered when I was trying to move the offending icon into a sub-folder, but I quickly deleted them (because yes, as @Thrillo rightly says, you can only remove a zero).

This is because I tend to avoid things I'm completely uncertain about, or I refuse to form an opinion about a game until I've seen it through to some kind of completion marker (either the end credits in story-driven games, or some kind of solid completion statistic, like having seen every level) and usually, by then, I've earned a solid chunk of the trophies. There are several exceptions, one of which is Touch My Katamari on PS Vita, where I have "completed" the game and yet have only earned 18% of the trophies (and won't likely earn any more in the future) but I'm not ashamed to have that on my list. If anything, it serves as a warning to others who might browse my list and see such a low statistic amidst otherwise-healthy returns.

With respect, folks who are willing to try all kinds of random games and abandon them after ten minutes and two trophies aren't the kinda folks I'd expect to be concerned about the appearance of their trophy list. I apologise if that's you! At least, as you say, the ability to shove those games towards the bottom would be nice, and we agree on that, too.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I actually also err on the side of caution when I start up a game, similarly to how you describe your own approach. Some of my friends have oodles of games on their list with almost no completion because they play every single PS Plus title for a minute or rent and borrow games for the weekend. I usually start something with the intent to at least give it a solid chance and thereby have at least a few trophies on most of mine. It’s funny that you mention Wipeout because that’s one that I sit at 1% completion. It was just too hard for me for some reason. It is in my 1% club along with Battleborn (eeesh..), Dishonored, and Dragon Age Origins. The latter two being victims of just being at the wrong place at the wrong time due to the PS4 coming out and overshadowing them to the point I just never made it back to them. I have one 0% game that I keep on there, Soul Sacrifice, which I keep thinking I’ll eventually go back to. But who am I kidding? Maybe I’ll try the delete function on that one. Most of the others that are less than 10% I have realistic intentions to return to — Arkham Knight, Trails of Cold Steel, AC Black Flag... to name a few.

Gremio108

@RogerRoger @Th3solution Since I joined PS Plus, my trophy list has started seeing more instances of this kind of thing - the one-or-two percents. So games like Table-top Racing or Lords of the Fallen now sit in my trophy collection looking thoroughly sorry for themselves, their rubbishness plain for all to see.

I quite like these little reminders of the bad or little-played games though. They remind me of the time me and the kids booted up Transformers Devastation and smashed up some Decepticons, or the time me and my mate started Prince of Persia PS3 thinking it was going to be the best thing we'd ever played and found ourselves laughing at how bad it was. The pathetic trophy counts are the gaming equivalent of scars - we should wear them with pride!

In terms of quality-of-life improvements, I'd like the ability to display my favourite five trophies on my PSN profile. Not necessarily for bragging rights (although it would be useful for that too) but just for the ones I had the most fun getting. I'd also like to look at a trophy and see how many of my friends have it, without having to go to their trophy list. And progress counters towards trophies would be good, as many have said in the past.

If I'm being really fussy, I'd like the feature to challenge a friend to 'race' to a trophy. I'm not sure how this would work exactly, but I'm just the ideas man. Sony can sort that out.

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

JohnnyShoulder

Some of this stuff can be done - by using sites like True Trophies and PSN Profiles. But it would be cool to have this kinda stuff integrated in the trophy system.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Areus

One way you can cut down on low trophy %s is to create another profile and used it to try out games your not sure of thats what i do

Areus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic