Forums

Topic: God of War OT

Posts 281 to 300 of 807

RonCorleone

@JohnnyShoulder I want to preface this by saying that I like the game. I can't really find anything negative to say about it. I don't think I'm as high on the story as some people(I think its solid though) and the new Kratos voice is really taking some getting used to for me but these aren't things that are hindering my enjoyment of the game.

From my personal experience with this game and the rest of the franchise, if I'm judging this game on its own merits this a great game. Though if I'm judging it as a God of War game I'd rate it as just good, mainly because the combat for the most part didn't really feel like God of War to me. I'm trying to properly express how I feel about the combat in this game compared to previous games(and I'm probably failing at it) but to me old GoW games had more of an arcade feeling to it and this has more of a simulation feel to it. It's more slow and calculated opposed to loose and hack and slashy. I recently went through the 1st three games again (its weird playing a game and seeing your last save file is from 2014) and I was surprised to see how well the game held up when it came to combat and how great it still felt considering how old the games were.

I'm pretty sure I'm one of 10 people who doesn't straight up hate QTEs and they were one of my favorite parts of the GoW games so there absence along with the absence of combos really disappoints me as well as the absence of combos. Especially when it came to boss battles the QTEs added a nice level of interaction that I felt helped me get even more invested in fights. I will say though, if there is one part of fighting in the new GoW that I enjoy more than the old its the fact that the camera is way better.

I'm not saying the changes they made to the franchise, specifically to the gameply were bad or that they shouldn't have made those changes, I'm just saying that the changes that occured in this ittiration of God of War, made this feel less like a God of War game to me.

RonCorleone

JohnnyShoulder

@RonCorleone Thanks for elaborating

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Nei

Hi guys! Just started the game, after so many good reviews and personal recommendations ...it is kinda not something I'd usually pick up.

I must say I am having a very good time and enjoying the combat a lot! It also looks incredible which is always nice. The story seems alright for now even if a tad too cinecomic in the direction of the cutscenes.

I am adjusting to Kratos - he seems like a guy who's toughened up for a million right reasons but he's still kinda too testosterone-y to be relatable for me. I also think he should really shave because that thick beard makes him look even balder

Joking aside, stellar production ...having a lot of fun!

Edited on by Nei

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

themcnoisy

So I have played GoW from the start again today. Its the first time in like a month theres enough free time to play a proper immersive game. Without spoiling anything Im upto the second lake of lights (hope that is ambiguous enough). Much much better start on this second run, I now understand why the first boss battle happens as a kind of shield over Kratos and Atreus is removed when they chop down the tree at the very start. That completely went over my head first time around and was wondering why the dude found them at that exact moment.

Im also enjoying the fighting way more. I get properley amongst it now and am boosting my close attacks! Ive also found 3 apples woo hoo more health. Its so quick on your second run, getting to the world serpent took half the time of my first attempt. And without worrying about what buttons to use and how to approach the game, the scenery is marvellous.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Nei

@KratosMD Definitely! My brother came over yesterday and he was like YOU are playing GOW?
@themcnoisy Ha! The tree bit wasn't lost on me, he also says "she" picked the trees she wanted for her pyre. So it is explained in detail later on? Can't wait for it!

themcnoisy

@Feena where are you upto?

Today I was more engrossed in the story and finer details. Last time out I was getting to grips with the controls and missed a ton of stuff. Im playing the game now like a brawler and starting to pick off Odins birds and use the relic abilities. Im decked out in boar hide armour and look like the don. Its a top game but I totally agree his over the top muscular wwe physique is offputting.

JohnnyShoulder

@Feena Glad your enjoying it.

I recommend completing the Dwarf favours as soon as you can. I left them to do until later in the game and regret it as I had already obtained better stuff. Some you won't be able to do until either you have gained a certain ability or something happens in the game allow you to continue.

@KratosMD I now see what you mean about the Lake of Nine, it really is brilliant level design especially later on.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

themcnoisy

Just popped the trophy for sorting the second lake. The one with the weird ghost elves. Amazing mechanics during that section it reminds me most like Zelda Windwaker puzzle wise with a touch of the original Halo architecturally with the light bridges. Im also finding the HDR to be the best outside of Infamous. Its not too bright to give you a headache yet some scenes really pop off the screen.

A couple of negatives are the amount of Armour, skills, weapon slots and extra abilities to choose from, feels like you are commiting to one type of fight style or armour set very early doors and there are tons to choose from. Also the explanation for being blocked on the mountain was really cumbersome and filled with jargon, hopefully there isnt more silly magic black fog later in the game.

Great days gaming! I need to play more grrrrrr.

JohnnyShoulder

@themcnoisy I've got two or three armour sets going at the moment for facing different enemies, all upgraded with stones slotted in.

You will get to a point when you have loads of money and xp, and not a great deal to spend it on.

themcnoisy

@JohnnyShoulder cool. Ive gone with strength / defence. Yet I am jealous of cooldown buffs and what not. At least thats something to look forward to.

GoW is one of those games that once you put it on 3 hours just disappear. Awesome game. Easily the best Ive bought this year (I have bought 3x games released in 2018 lol)

Nei

@themcnoisy I am running around the Lake of Nine helping out dead people, despite saying no to my completist son.

themcnoisy

@Feena Im about 2.5 hours ahead of you. It gets 👍.

Fight_Teza_Fight

Just beat the game!
Oh myy.........!!!!

Going to finish off the Valkyries and the trials, but I'll be very surprised if I'll play a better game this year. Time to head to that spoiler thread---->.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Sanquine

I have the same feeling after i finished the last of us and persona 4 golden. Sadness , as in i want more atreus and kratos. Now going for the sidequests such as the likr of Nine

PSNid= Sanquine90

PSN: Sanquine90

JohnnyShoulder

Phew! Just completed stage 4 of the Muspelheim challenge for for defeating 100 enemies. And that was the easy stage. Eeek.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

BAMozzy

@JohnnyShoulder That was very time consuming but not that 'difficult'... I won't spoil what's to come...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

JohnnyShoulder

@BAMozzy Yeah ya right it was more time consuming than difficult. I did get destroyed when i first tried but now I've got better armour etc it was much easier.

RonCorleone

So I beat the game two weeks ago, and I went back and got the platinum last night(which I almost never do). My thoughts are basically the same as my previous post, Great game, good God of War game, my 3rd or 4th favorite in the franchise (nothing beats God of War 3). Last time I commented more on the gameplay which I thought was good though I do miss the faster pace combat, combos, and QTEs(especially during boss fights because boss fights).

As far as the story goes...It's weird. More effort obviously went into the story for this God of War game than previous installments, yet somehow I found Kratos and the story more interesting and myself more invested in the original trilogy than in this game(all of which I've replayed in the past 2 months) and I can't quite put my finger on the reason why. For me it almost felt like they were trying too hard to be better than the originals to the point where the story here almost feels like the video game equivalent of Oscar bait. Overall I still found this to be a good solid story and I'm looking forward to the next entry in the series especially to see what happened with Freya(who was the most interesting character in the game to me) but I just wasn't blown away by the story like a lot of other people. I'd rate this game as an 8.5 or 9 and something I'd definitely come back to play again down the line. Now it's time for me to find a new game to fill my time.

RonCorleone

AshourLFC

hey guys where can i find god of war stats ?

like how many players defeated by Valkyries globally in May ?
is there any app or website ?

anyone can help ?

AshourLFC

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic