Forums

Topic: God of War OT

Posts 301 to 320 of 807

Tjuz

I might start God of War tomorrow. Anyone has any tips I should be aware of before I get into it? I've heard it can be quite a hard game, and I'm not the most seasoned or skilled player, so any tips regarding the combat especially would be appreciated. Just keep it non-spoilery, please!

Tjuz

Octane

@Tjuz Start on normal, if it's too easy, crank the difficulty up a notch. I found normal to be quite enjoyable, some of the end game stuff got really difficult, even on normal. Other than that, enjoy!

Octane

JohnnyShoulder

@Tjuz I found some of the earlier stuff tricker, as until you can upgrade and buy more moves you only have the basics. Learn how to parry and dodge, the game is good at teaching you these things naturally.

As you can spend your upgrade points as you wish, everyone will have their fave moves sets. I found the shield moves useful, especially the one that flings enemies projectiles back at em.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

@Tjuz It took me a while to get to grips with the combat so I died plenty of times early on but the game does a brilliant job of allowing you to stick to basic moves and get through no problem, but also has some quite in depth techniques (like stance changes late on) that can take longer to master but are highly rewarding once you do.

Enjoy!

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

andreoni79

This is my first GoW and honestly I was expecting something à la Bayonetta while I feel more like I'm Lara Croft!

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

JohnnyShoulder

@andreoni79 The previous games were defo more like Bayonetta to play. This one is biggest change up to the series so far.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RR529

Been playing this since Monday and it's really gripping. I've been playing on average about 2 hours each day, and have just arrived at Alfhiem to get the light to clear the black smoke back on the mountain. While I'm getting used to combat I still get hit a lot, so I'm going with a more defensive build. I also really appreciate the environmental puzzles which almost give it a Zelda like feel in parts. Of course it looks absolutely stunning, too.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Octane

@RR529 I think the trick is to use dodge. Also pay attention to Atreus, he'll tell you when an enemy approaches from behind, or if you have the enemy indicator turned on, just pay attention to that. I always took out a few enemies from a distances with my axe, reducing the number of enemies you have to face in close combat.

Octane

JohnnyShoulder

@RR529 Use Atreus whenever you can, depending on what ability you got you will either stun or injure them, so can save you some time to heal up.

I found all the sheild powers handy, especially the one that fires projectiles back at the enemies. I wish I had that for one section earlish in the game.

Thrillho

@RR529 I really liked how customisable all the combat abilities were. Unlike a lot of games, you’re not going to be able to eventually unlock everything so can form a build that works for you. Similarly, the tubes can make a massive difference to your approach to combat.

The later combat abilities that allow stance changes are really good but harder to use and I neglected them until late in the game.

EDIT: runes!

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

Thrillho

@Octane Ha, good old turbo typing with autocorrect on the phone!

Thrillho

Th3solution

Man, I need to play this game.

This or Spider-Man first?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution The Witcher 3 first!

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Lol. I should have known that was coming 😂

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Octane

@Th3solution GOW > TW3 > Spidey

This one's shorter, so you can move on to TW3 sooner

Octane

Th3solution

@Octane @Thrillho @JohnnyShoulder Man, you all got me so confused now 😂
I’m going to go with my mood at the time. I plan to [hopefully] finish Red Dead Redemption this weekend and see which way the wind blows after that. I had a God of War itch that needed to be scratched, but I just glazed over the Witcher 3 thread for a minute to see if it sparked interest and it kinda made me a little bit excited to try it too. The point about length is a good one though, coming off of the protracted tale of Arthur Morgan. I might be attracted to something with a bit of brevity first. I don’t know.

RR529

Thanks for the tips. I'm not doing too bad though. Other than one sction early on I had trouble with, and once activating an optional(?) fight that got me in one hit, I haven't died.

During today's play session I finished up my business in Alfhiem, obtaining the light and killing the leader of the dark elves.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic