Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,321 to 4,340 of 7,480

Rudy_Manchego

@KratosMD Yeah I guess it does come down to the definition of Metroidvania and I know there are examples of people who hate the term etc. For me, it is that definition of having a world that you explore and revisit as you gain new abilities, often gated behind challenges such as bosses etc. This game has elemental puzzles and the ability to revisit areas if I recall, but you are also sort aware of where to go and in some cases have no choice. So I felt that your own agency to discover the way is limited, unlike say, Hollow Knight where you need to explore to find out how to progress.

It gets down to specifics - I did a quick google and saw the same argument on some forums, including steam with some saying it is more an RPG, others saying it is Metroidvania. It's a pretty good game at the end of the day!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

HallowMoonshadow

I was just about to post that regarding a new pokemon snap @Ralizah for anyone who wasn't aware.

Aren't you more excited for that Pokémon clean your teeth app though? Best Game Of All Time!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I have body image issues, so the idea of a game that makes me stare at myself sounds like torture.

It's a little sad how much better this looks, visually, than the recent gen of Pokemon JRPGs, though.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

It was, and remains, a really cool spin on traditional rail shooter design.

Although I'm a bit sad the Wii U didn't get this, as the system was literally perfect for this sort of game.

nessisonett

Pokemon Snap is great but I do wish they’d bring back Ranger, I loved those games. I think the announcement next week is probably going to be Gen 4 remakes but I’m really not looking forward to seeing them bastardise the Sinnoh games. I’d much rather they did an Octopath style ‘HD 2D’ or hand-drawn graphics than do it in 3D. The last two generations have shown how woefully inadequate Game Freak are with 3D graphics and animations, despite Battle Revolution being way more impressive back in 2006. I just find it mad that in the space of a few years, I’ve gone from being really into Pokemon and the competitive scene to being entirely apathetic when it comes to the series.

Edited on by nessisonett

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

They should just port HeartGold/SoulSilver. The series hasn’t hit those heights since and it would probably go down better with fans than another game where it’s almost impossible to lose.

Octane

New Pokemon Snap; cool. Name's terrible though. I wish you were able to roam around and use the environment to your advantage when taking pictures.

@nessisonett @crimsontadpoles @KratosMD Do you think they'd release a major DLC expansion and new games in the same year? Maybe. But I didn't expect any new mainline games this year because of the DLC.

Octane

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I have body image issues, so the idea of a game that makes me stare at myself sounds like torture.

I'd be surprised if anyone didn't. Thank goodness(???) it's just a weird app to get kids to have healthy dental hygine

Ralizah wrote:

It's a little sad how much better this looks, visually, than the recent gen of Pokemon JRPGs, though.

Man I just watched that trailer and it's flat out adorable @Ralizah and looks really neat! I didn't know it was framed like a rail shooter either as I've never seen or played the original.

I noticed it's being made by Bandai Namco too... They made that Pokemon fighting game too right?

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

KratosMD wrote:

I just got done playing the DLC for about 4 hours today and it's honestly not anything special. The new Wild Area is great and it feels like you can go anywhere you want right from the start. However, there's really not much you can do in it. Even the "story missions" are bare-bones, you're just going on a bunch of fetch quests for Mustard. This is definitely the type of content I could see myself enjoying in moderate amounts, but not for multiple hours straight. Then it becomes really boring.

Also, throughout those 4 hours I haven't encountered a single trainer battle in the Wild Area. I've only fought against my rival and Mustard, but there are no trainers roaming around in the place, which is strange. I don't really get the point of this DLC at all, it's just like they just threw a bunch of random ideas together and called it a day.

I do feel like Isle of Armour was rushed while most of the focus went to Crown of Tundra since that DLC is going to focus more on "story and adventure". Like there's seriously not much going on in the first DLC at all, lol.

Wow to put it mildly that sounds really rubbish @KratosMD.

Granted I've rarely found DLC in general to be worth it whenever I've played some... But that just sounds so boring and not worth the money in the slightest.

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah, Bandai Namco did Pokken Tournament as well. Not my kinda thing, but it's hard to argue that they make high-quality Pokemon spinoffs.

It's interesting, though, because the original had a completely different developer (HAL Laboratory, alongside some random, defunct Japanese developer). The original was a very cool rail shooter. It didn't have a lot of levels, but each level was fairly dense with content and photographic opportunities. You could throw "Pokemon food" (they're just apples; if you were mean, you could terrorize Pokemon hanging out along whatever track your vehicle was on by throwing apples at them) along with other items to trigger evolutions (new Pokemon to snap!), particular animations (at one point, I remember if you tossed an apple at a Voltorb, it'd get angry and explode, and capturing that explosion netted you mega points), alternate exits, etc.

Hopefully the Nintendo Switch sequel will be significantly denser with content, though.

nessisonett

@Ralizah “Nintendo Switch sequel”...”denser with content”
Oh dear, that’ll never happen. Switch games are brilliant at looking slightly nicer while having absolutely 0 replay value 😛

Ralizah

@nessisonett Clearly you've not played the new Persona Fire Emblem game with four different story routes and hundreds of social links support conversations to collect via endless NG+ replays.

nessisonett

@Ralizah True enough, Persona Emblem is one of the few gems among the Yoshi’s Crafted World, Kirby Star Allies, Arms, Sword/Shield and many other Nintendo first party games that feel like massive steps back from even the Wii U days. And they aren’t even ports.

Ralizah

@nessisonett There have been a few misses here and there, but, in general, I've been more satisfied with the first-party and exclusive output on Nintendo Switch than on any of the other modern platforms.

So, if I'm excluding upgraded ports...

Breath of the Wild, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and Torna: The Golden Country), Astral Chain, Luigi's Mansion 3, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Splatoon 2 (and the Octo Expansion), Super Mario Maker 2, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and Octopath Traveler are all pretty excellent, and we're just past the console's third year on the market.

In its first three years, the only comparably excellent exclusives from PS4 were... Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Ratchet & Clank (technically a remake of a PS2 game, but I'll let it slide since it saw such a drastic overhaul), Infamous Second Son (and First Light), and Bloodborne (I didn't like it, but the consensus seem to be wildly positive, so whatever). Am I missing any in that same time period that were great?

I don't think Microsoft released much of anything of acclaim in that time period aside from Ori and the Blind Forest. I want to play Sunset Overdrive, so I'll throw that in there. Gears of War 4 and Halo 5, maybe?

So, yeah, I'd say Switch is holding up magnificently so far.

Edited on by Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

The original snap sounds pretty interesting @Ralizah! I'll have to give it a looksee some time and I hope this new one turns out well for all of you.

... And that's a LOT of exclusive nintendo titles in it's first three years!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic