Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,341 to 4,360 of 4,912

RR529

I'm thinking about dropping FFIX. I don't dislike it, it's just that lately I've had no desire to play it (last arrived at the point where you learn Garnett lost her voice).

It could have something to do with the fact that I'm rewatching my favorite anime (and reading the manga), which has drawn me in completely, but that hasn't kept me from finding the time to play FFVR (and finish of Tales of Berseria) on PS4, so I dunno. Maybe FFIX is just a tad too dated for me, as shallow as that sounds.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Haruki_NLI

I got XCDE early, yet the two other games I ordered for same day release are late. Weird.

Gotta say XCDE is warming me up way better than XC2 did.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@RR529 Nah, it's fine. I'm a long-time FF fan and I just couldn't muster enough interest to continue playing the game, either.

And I was playing the older PS1 version with horrendous load times, lol.

Out of interest, what is FFVR?

Edited on by Ralizah

Current Games:
Super Mario 64 (Switch)
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 (PS2)
Ys I & II Chronicles+ (PC)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@RR529 Honestly, I can’t really bring myself to finish it either. I don’t have much left but I really like parts of it like the equipment skills and really dislike other parts like the horrible frame rate and the battles are just so slow. Although I don’t know if I’ll even go back to FF7R, the fact I went back to Horizon before it says an awful lot given my feelings on that game.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

RR529

@Ralizah, @nessisonett, glad it's not just me.

Also, I meant to say FFVIIR, not FFVR.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

@RR529 Gotcha. I figured that might have been what you were talking about, but you also own a PSVR, so I didn't know if there was some sort of "Final Fantasy interactive VR experience" or something.

How are you liking VII Remake, btw?

RE: FFIX... I'd gotten past the first disc, put it down for some reason, and went months without playing it. I didn't forget about it. It's more like... you know how sometimes you avoid calling a particularly annoying relative for as long as possible, but eventually give in because you don't like to hurt peoples' feelings? It's sort of like that. I finally decided that it was impossible to hurt the feelings of a PS1 game. I'll watch an LP of it on youtube or something.

Most of my annoyances were fairly minor, but add to that the complete lack of any sort of hook to keep the player coming back, and...

Edited on by Ralizah

Current Games:
Super Mario 64 (Switch)

Rudy_Manchego

@LN78 Oh ho mate - that would make it the sixth time I have bought the game now!!! Will check it out, thanks! Except for Resi 6. Obvs.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Iconoclasts is a bit of an odd duck @KratosMD to me.

As I already said to you before in the review thread I've only played Hollow Knight in the metroidvania genre (Well that and some of Bloodstained).

I don't know if I'd really call Iconoclasts a metroidvania game...

It has some backtracking admittedly and some places require new abilities. But most of those are just for materials for the "tweaks system" (An... upgrade system of sorts. It's a bit hard to describe)

It's also incredibly story focused. Definitely not something I feel you can put on hold for a few weeks.

There are a number of bosses in it which (Alongside the plot (Which I thought got more interesting as it went along) and the characters (The antagonist Agent Black without a doubt being my favourite)) were definitely the highlight to me as they were all quite different and very engaging.

Oh and it's very beautiful for a pixel art game. Made by the one bloke as well which is always pretty impressive to me (I believe he's Swedish)

@Rudy_Manchego has played it too... I assume he's played more metroidvania's then me too so I he could probably give you more insight on that front

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"Well that was fun. Horrible, but fun!" Fargus The Jester - Pandemonium (After a summoning a monster that destroyed his home town)

"Words don't make changes. Wounds do." Agent Black - Iconoclasts

PSVR_lover

I just met a groovy chick at an anime con and she said if u love JRPGs ya gotta buy a Switch. So, I am looking into it because I love a good JRPG and having them on the go was one reason I loved the PSVITA.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

Rudy_Manchego

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @KratosMD Iconoclasts, to my mind, isn't much of a Metroidvania compared to Hollow Knight etc. As Foxy said, there are upgradeable abilities and some limited backtracking but typically, the story moves you from location to location.I would probably call it a more narrative driven platformer than anything. It has some memorable bosses - though I would say I found the difficulty spikes tough BUT I'm not great at platformers overall. ARtwork and story is really really good though.

I also played on Vita and I think possibly a bigger screen would have been helpful, either on PS4 or docked for Switch.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

Rudy_Manchego

@KratosMD Yeah I guess it does come down to the definition of Metroidvania and I know there are examples of people who hate the term etc. For me, it is that definition of having a world that you explore and revisit as you gain new abilities, often gated behind challenges such as bosses etc. This game has elemental puzzles and the ability to revisit areas if I recall, but you are also sort aware of where to go and in some cases have no choice. So I felt that your own agency to discover the way is limited, unlike say, Hollow Knight where you need to explore to find out how to progress.

It gets down to specifics - I did a quick google and saw the same argument on some forums, including steam with some saying it is more an RPG, others saying it is Metroidvania. It's a pretty good game at the end of the day!

Ralizah

The Switch is getting a new Pokemon Snap game!

Edited on by Ralizah

Current Games:
Super Mario 64 (Switch)

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

I was just about to post that regarding a new pokemon snap @Ralizah for anyone who wasn't aware.

Aren't you more excited for that Pokémon clean your teeth app though? Best Game Of All Time!

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"Well that was fun. Horrible, but fun!" Fargus The Jester - Pandemonium (After a summoning a monster that destroyed his home town)

"Words don't make changes. Wounds do." Agent Black - Iconoclasts

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I have body image issues, so the idea of a game that makes me stare at myself sounds like torture.

It's a little sad how much better this looks, visually, than the recent gen of Pokemon JRPGs, though.

Current Games:
Super Mario 64 (Switch)

Ralizah

It was, and remains, a really cool spin on traditional rail shooter design.

Although I'm a bit sad the Wii U didn't get this, as the system was literally perfect for this sort of game.

Current Games:
Super Mario 64 (Switch)

nessisonett

Pokemon Snap is great but I do wish they’d bring back Ranger, I loved those games. I think the announcement next week is probably going to be Gen 4 remakes but I’m really not looking forward to seeing them bastardise the Sinnoh games. I’d much rather they did an Octopath style ‘HD 2D’ or hand-drawn graphics than do it in 3D. The last two generations have shown how woefully inadequate Game Freak are with 3D graphics and animations, despite Battle Revolution being way more impressive back in 2006. I just find it mad that in the space of a few years, I’ve gone from being really into Pokemon and the competitive scene to being entirely apathetic when it comes to the series.

Edited on by nessisonett

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic