Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 4,801 to 4,817 of 4,817

RogerRoger

@Th3solution It's not weird; I used to be the same, and still am, to a degree. I primarily boot up YouTube in the same way you do (looking up clips when I get stuck, watching random gameplay to inform a purchase, etc.) and it's only in recent years that, on rare occasions, I've ended up watching a whole game. There needs to be good reason for me to do so, though. I watched a playthrough of Alien Isolation (complete with picture-in-picture "talking heads" providing a running commentary) because I'm too much of a coward to play it for myself, whereas I've watched other games that're trapped on consoles I don't own, or that're so retro, they'd be prohibitively expensive to track down and buy.

Even more recently than that, however, I've found myself watching others play games that I've already played and completed, to see their opinions form in "real time" as they react. Again, these aren't livestreams, but rather archived highlights that get uploaded after the fact. It needs to be a game I really care about, though, one that I'm still thinking about a couple days after the credits have rolled.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Sorry! You'll only fall down the streaming rabbit hole if you let yourself but yeah, if you've still got your Legendary Edition save handy, then it'd obviously be better to carry on someday and experience everything first-hand. I haven't seen the Legendary Edition pop up in any of the Black Friday sales yet, although our discounts'll be different from yours. PSN, maybe?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger A couple times I’ve watched some footage of a game I completed, just to see what commentary might be out there. The main example I can think of was Nier Automata where I enjoyed a couple of the videos put together dissecting the philosophy and some of the symbolic parts of the game. Otherwise, my video game YouTube viewing is primarily to watch a guide of some kind, like a boss guide for a FromSoft game or a video of where a well hidden collectible is. The hint system on the PS5 is basically what I do with YouTube.

It’s strange because I can watch a friend play a game and be really interested in it, but if it’s a random streamer then it’s harder to really keep interest. I think it’s fun to see a friend or family member experience a game for the first time.

Edit: And I do have ME Legendary Ed in my wishlist, although I see physical copies sometimes that are fairly cheap. Pretty consistently less than $30.

Edited on by Th3solution

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

KilloWertz

@RogerRoger Ok, then I kind of understand why people would have at least been a little upset about that. If I had experienced that ending after putting in well over 100 hours into the trilogy, I probably wouldn't have been happy either. The feeling of "that's it?" would have definitely crossed my mind. Why they just didn't do the extended ending from the start, I don't know. It honestly wasn't that much longer, aside from the ceremony honoring the fallen, but I would consider that essential to the ending after experiencing it all. Oh well I guess. I'm assuming the after credits scene was added on to, which didn't really matter in the grande scheme of things, but was a nice little touch regardless.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

KilloWertz

@Th3solution I would definitely recommend picking up the Legendary Edition again and picking up where you left off if you think you have the time to finish it all. Obviously you can do what I did and play other games in between each one. I ended up pushing Mass Effect 3 off longer than I intended, but it worked out in the end since I highly enjoyed it.

I may be slightly biased since I love the series after finally playing through 3, which was the only one I had never played much of back on the Xbox 360, but I would only resort to watching a playthrough of the Citadel DLC if you truly don't think you'll ever be able to play them all.

90 hours, @RogerRoger? If I remember correctly, it only took me roughly 50 hours to finish Mass Effect 3. Granted I missed some of the side content of course, but I doubt that would have added on 35-40 hours.

AgentCooper

Finished a few smaller titles over last couple of weeks since my gaming time is at a premium and unpredictable at the moment;

A Memoir Blue decent little story and creative ideas, very emotional 6/10

Townscaping Interesting little title to muck about with, though I quickly got through the achievements and moved on. 5/10

Unpacking was totally ready for this but quickly tired of it and hit the accessibility options and cleared up the remaining achievements. Points for the shear detail that has gone into the sprites though. 4/10

Grim Fandango Love this game, completed it many times since the original release, probably will again. 9/10

Putting an obscene amount of time into Powerwash Sim and been chipping away at RDR2, I now have the xbox version after playing it earlier in the year with PSPlus Extra. Looks and runs great and no jet engine fan noise spoiling the atmosphere 👍

Hope everyone is doing great 👍 happy gaming x

Got myself a newborn so don’t know my arse from my elbow. Apologies if I seem tardy or incommunicative.

PSN: Bundersvessel

Th3solution

@AgentCooper Man, I must have somehow totally missed the fact that you jumped into the XBox pool. I just thought you were really busy lately but you’ve actually been busy with team green. I guess The Last Guardian was the final straw to jump ship, wasn’t it? 😜

But seriously, how’s it been going? What’s your general impressions as a PlayStation gamer going over and experiencing the Xbox side of things?

Edit: I realized that might come off as rather “fanboyish”, which was not my intent. As someone who has considered getting an Xbox and a Switch many times, I’m honestly curious as how it feels when you are new to an ecosystem.

Edited on by Th3solution

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

AgentCooper

@Th3solution Ah no dramas mate, I didn’t read it as that. I’ve had a Series X about a month or so and I’m really impressed, the whole experience feels very intuitive and much warmer in vibe, if that makes sense. Gamepass is (at least so far) a revelation and diving into such a vast library is really fun and very seamless. Quick resume is an unexpected highlight and the hardware is whisper quiet, which coming off my excessively loud Ps4 Pro is a real joy. Couple this with the rather good rewards program and I’ll probably never have to pay for gamepass either.

My wife gave birth to our second child at the beginning of the month so haven’t been able to properly get under its skin yet and also why I’ve been a bit quiet recently. I should have some more in-depth and considered thoughts as the months roll on.

How are you doing anyway? What’s rocking your world at the moment mate?

Got myself a newborn so don’t know my arse from my elbow. Apologies if I seem tardy or incommunicative.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I know what you mean, about watching a friend play vs. watching a stranger. It's kinda like how it can be more enjoyable to re-watch a movie when you're showing it to somebody for their first time. I definitely have to pick and choose which streamers to watch in that regard, if they're providing commentary.

@KilloWertz I believe the after-credits scene was always there (which made people even more angry, if memory serves, because it was too abstract for them in the wake of such an abrupt ending).

Ah, my 90 hours might've been inflated by Photo Mode somewhat! I've never really tracked my time before, so it's possible that previous PS3 playthroughs took me half that time. When it comes to Mass Effect games, I am a bit of a wanderer, though. I like to "live" in that world as long as possible, whereas I'll frequently blitz story-focused playthroughs of most other games.

@AgentCooper Congratulations to you and your wife on the latest addition to your family!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KilloWertz

@RogerRoger Ok, I guess I made the wrong assumption there. I do wonder how I would have felt back then if I had played 3 for more than a short time. I doubt I would have been very happy either, but I don't really think there's anything in the extended ending that really affects the after credits scene though. They technically don't acknowledge that Shepard is dead until they honor the fallen in the extended ending, so maybe it's the fact that they don't directly acknowledge whether Shepard died until the end credits scene without the extended ending.

It's fine if you really did spend 90 hours in the game. I was just shocked since I didn't spend near that time in the game and wondered how your total may have been so much longer.

AgentCooper

@RogerRoger Why thank you 🙏 he’s the best gift I could have asked for this year.

How are doing Rog, any road?

Th3solution

@AgentCooper Ah, good to hear you are enjoying your second little bundle of joy, oh - and also your new baby. (😂 bam-dum-tshhh… 🥁). But seriously, glad that you do have the two new additions and that the Series X is proving to be a positive experience with the new baby making you very happy in a different way.

Having a quiet console must be grand for when you’re trying to not disturb a sleeping baby. I was impressed with the PS5 being so quiet too, except for the disc drive, which is at least as loud as my PS4. I’ve never had a PS4 Pro but word is that it’s loud enough to not only wake a sleeping baby, but also the neighbor’s baby! 😜

As for GamePass, it seems a great way to be introduced to a new console. I’ve recommended the PS+ Extra especially to new PlayStation owners because it’s just instant access to loads of quality content. Even as a veteran Sony guy, I’m surprised at how much I’m enjoying the service, even though I’ve only played about 4 titles since I joined a couple months ago. I’ve liked having the huge catalogue so much that I decided to stack another year of it during the current sale. (really wish the Sony reward program was more robust like the MS one, but the $75 per year still get worth it) I’m not sure if GP is similar as far the content where you do have to wade through a lot of titles that are not that interesting, but there’s a least a couple dozen on there that I’ll happily try to find time to play.

I’ve still done traditional purchases of games though as my main game playing time — so to answer your question, my gaming world is currently being rocked by Dark Souls Remastered. It’s been a lot more fun than I thought it would. I’ve recently completed the excellent Gran Turismo 7 (which I’m still playing a little on the side from time to time). And from the PS+ service I’ve recently completed Avengers campaign and FF7R Intermission. Avengers was mostly ‘meh…’ but the Yuffie DLC was quite good. I am also trying to play Resident Evil 4, but I’m struggling to keep my interest with it over Dark Souls. It’s a good game, but it’s not quite clicking with me now and I might have to get to it later.

The rest of my world is about the same, the daily grind and all that jazz.

I’ll be interested to hear what other new experiences you have and hopefully you keep enjoying it all!

Edited on by Th3solution

————————

nessisonett

@AgentCooper Congrats on the new baby, the human one and not the Xbox shaped one!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@AgentCooper so I know I’ve already congratulated you on your new bundle of joy over PSN but it bares being wished again, so mucho congrats buddy!

Also, glad that the Xbox is working out for you. It sounds like it’s UI and Gamepass is a great fit for your gaming at the moment… and well done on clearing four games during what must be a real busy (but happy) time 👍

Whatever became of that fearsome ne’er-do-well?

RogerRoger

@KilloWertz It's easily done; I think I assumed the same.

What is unquestionably neat about that post-credits scene is that the "Stargazer" character (a.k.a. the old man telling the story to the child) is voiced by Buzz Aldrin.

Even if Shep survives, I think the Normandy crew still honour their sacrifice, because they're stuck on some far-flung jungle planet without knowing what happened back on Earth. They assume Shep perished when the Crucible went up in a blaze of [insert your chosen colour filter here] energy. The survival ending really is the smallest of touches. It's lovely, but it doesn't have any impact beyond its extra ten seconds. Then the post-credits "Stargazer" scene is apparently set centuries later, so everybody would be dead by then anyway... well, except maybe Liara, Wrex and Grunt.

Yep, I really should stop using my time taken as an accurate measure! Especially in games that come equipped with a Photo Mode. I'm either guaranteed to rush, or end up taking twice as long!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@AgentCooper ...well, c'mon, there's still Christmas left to go, right? Don't rush to judgement; you might get a really awesome pair of socks or something!

Okay, terrible jokes aside, I'm real happy for you and your ever-growing family! Me, I'm doin' okay, ta (although I'm afraid to report that I don't own any roads, and didn't realise I was expected to... I'd best get to work on that then, I suppose). Trying to keep out of trouble, at any rate!

Making It So Since 1987

KilloWertz

@RogerRoger I actually never knew that. I recognized the voice since he's done a ton of stuff as himself, but I didn't really know who it was for sure. Definitely a nice touch there then.

True, I should put more thought into things like this. They would have had no idea, so everything would have played out the same aside from the extra scene where they would show Shepard breathing.

Where Mass Effect 4 ends up in the timeline I guess would determine if Liara was still alive at the time of the end credits scene, since obviously she's the only one we know to be still alive in that so far. I'm torn whether I want any other characters from the original trilogy or not.

RogerRoger

@KilloWertz Yeah, I'm torn in the same way, too. I'd obviously go full fanboy for any cameos, but Liara makes for a nice, iconic anchor to the past. I think the rest of the cast should be original (although they can pull all the usual "I'm this person's grandchild" or whatever they want).

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic