Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 3,261 to 3,280 of 4,400

colonelkilgore

Just finished season 1 of My Hero Academia - it took me a while to get into it but yeah it did live up to the hype I’ve heard from all quarters. Netflix only have season 1 so I have no idea how I’ll end up watching the later seasons but I’m definitely keen to continue with it.

**** DLC!

PegasusActual93

@colonelkilgore
I don't get why they would have only the first season, you would think if Netflix were paying the rights to stream the series on their platform then that licensing deal would extend to covering the whole series thus far.

Edited on by PegasusActual93

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

colonelkilgore

@PegasusActual93 yeah it is a bit… disappointing. They only got season 1 of One Punch Man too, which I’m even more disappointed about.

**** DLC!

PegasusActual93

@colonelkilgore
I would imagine licensing tv shows isn't cheap. If you are going to spend all that money might as well license the whole damn series.

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder It’s ridiculous. Just goes to show that these companies absolutely don’t care about any sort of artistic integrity as it’s all about the money. They’re literally removing shows and movies from their service to never be sold anywhere else again so that they can get a partial tax writeoff.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

PegasusActual93

@nessisonett
Corporations have always been about wanting your money. That has been the case for centuries if not thousands of years. Sure some have better customer relations than others but at the end of the day if they can save 100 million dollars off tax write offs just from a single movie then you bet they will do it. It's called Capitalism.

nessisonett

@PegasusActual93 Not necessarily. Artists in the Renaissance period had wealthy patrons who funded their efforts but the motivation wasn’t a return on their investment. They just wanted to see the result of their artists’ efforts. Everything revolving round the accumulation of wealth is a relatively new concept in terms of human history. HBO Max and other streaming services are in a perfect position to fund great media which wouldn’t necessarily make a profit on a wider release.

PegasusActual93

@nessisonett
They could fund films that might not turn profit....but will they? Films have always been viewed as money makers by studios and never as stritcly art pieces no matter what movie snobs would have you believed. In the states our Supreme Court even ruled in 1915 that movies are not art but attractions. They later overturned that in 1948 but still that was the general mindset from the beginning even though like many things film is art. Movie studios have always put money before anything else and have executive meddled in stuff since for that very reason all the way back since the silent era.

nessisonett

@PegasusActual93 But streaming services don’t turn a profit in a traditional structure anyway. Films and TV are all included in your subscription so you’re essentially creating these not to turn a strict profit and instead to just make your service appeal to an audience. Critically acclaimed movies that bring plaudits to your service are surely a better fit for these streaming companies than something that’s designed to appeal to the masses, as that would turn a larger profit being released into cinemas.

colonelkilgore

The thing that has stuck in the craw of entertainment execs recently… was two—fold but plain to foresee for anyone with even half an idea about people and their habits. First, as soon as the world began to return to normal, the general populace would have far less time to vegetate in front of their entertainment of choice. Secondly and imho the much more integral facet… Streaming was basically a one-man/woman… /corporation show for the longest (okay amazon ‘dabbled’ but until recently never really looked to take it that seriously). Now all of a sudden there are 6 or 7 ‘major’ players in the streaming space and your average joe and Josephine are only gonna be signing up for one (maybe two). The streaming wars was always gonna produce some fine (and ample) entertainment for us in the short term but as soon as the corps realised how far (or short) our wallets would reach, there was always gonna be constraints imposed. Covid and the return to normality has just served to amplify and expedite the situation.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

PegasusActual93

@nessisonett
Streaming would have to be profitable eventually otherwise how does Netflix, Disney, HBO, Amazon, etc all justify operating these platforms, paying licensing for shows and movies, funding their own shows and movies, the advertising involved, and the PR? Everything is motivated by money. Just because these platforms dont have to rely on box office returns or necessarily viewership doesn't mean they are not paying attention to what is attracting lots of attention vs. what isn't. This leads to companies not funding movie or tv show genres that have proven not to receive satisfactory viewership and leads them to cancel shows with low ratings and not fund movies that are especially risky. Throwing 20-150 million into a movie whose premise could alienate a significant amount of people just won't cut it for corporations. I'm not saying this is the way it should be but the reality is that there are reasons companies don't take risks. And in fact corporations almost never took risks even back in the day and just rode the coattails of whatever trend is popular at that time. Also as for artsy movies turning higher profits, not always. There's no gurantee they will succeed. And if they are profitable sure you make okay money but still nothing compared to the big bucks in blockbusters so most businesses won't even bother. Why bother going through all that work to pocket 20 million from a lower budget movie when you can pocket half a billion or more in a blockbuster?

nessisonett

@PegasusActual93 I’m not convinced that you’re actually following what I’m saying. Let’s say they make a new Transformers movie. That would obviously go into cinemas because it would bring in loads of money in the box office. Let’s say they make an arthouse reinterpretation of Hamlet via the disco scene that reviews well and is up for Oscars. That wouldn’t make lots of money in the box office despite the critical success therefore it is perfect for a streaming service in order to give users an impression that the service carries quality content. Streaming services literally just need people to subscribe, they don’t even need you to watch their content in order to make their money. Content created by these services inherently is run at a loss. There’s no tangible returns on the investment as they don’t release into theatres. Netflix and Apple TV+ have clearly been investing in talent though which can be seen from their award success recently. Often these critically acclaimed movies are cheaper to produce as well, which is much more of an advantage given they can’t make their money back. Something like a Marvel movie will cost a fortune to make but will make that money back easily. Therefore it makes no sense for them to stop releasing into theatres and instead putting them exclusively on Disney+. Quality generates word-of-mouth which is exactly how streaming services attract new customers. Therefore it’s much better for these streaming services to invest in talent and create content with artistic merit than to sink loads of money into blockbusters which won’t provide any return. All WB had to do was release Batgirl in theatres rather than put it onto HBO Max. It’s just not sustainable to put that much money into a probably middle of the road albeit enjoyable movie and then give it away to however many subscribers for no extra cost.

PegasusActual93

@nessisonett
I understand what you are saying but with investing talent like I am trying to express, it's still all about the money. And even if there is incentive I would argue still that artsy movies are hardly ever making companies much money or attracting many subscribers regardless. Artsy movies and academy winners are hardly ever successful. Yes CODA won best picture this year but do you think it attracted enough new subscribers for Apple TV to justify it's price tag? I doubt it. Meanwhile millions literally subscribed to Disney Plus purely just for Marvel or Star Wars. Award winners and nominees are almost always financial flops and corporations are all about the profit, profit, profit. So funding pricey projects off talent alone is not an incentive to most corporations when they don't attract enough subscribers to begin with. Netflix has learned this the hard way and them throwing money at everything like I predicted was eventually going to bite them in the ass. Because it's just not a feasible model.

RR529

Forgot to mention, but I watched Man VS Bee last weekend. It was actually pretty amusing, and definitely had some Mr. Bean energy in spots even though he wasn't specifically playing that character. I think my favorite scene may have been when he was fiddling with his pants in front of the police officer.

@colonelkilgore, @PegasusActual93, don't watch anime on Netflix (or any of the "big" streamers) unless it's an exclusive ("Netflix Original", "N Series", or whatever they're calling them these days), if you want to see the whole thing.

All the anime licensors run their own streaming services, Funimation has Funimation (being rolled into Crunchyroll) & Sentai has HiDive, where they tend to keep the full runs of their series exclusive to their platform, and only license out the first 1 or 2 seasons of a show to the big streamers.

The one exception to this rule is Hulu which has the full runs of any anime licensed by Viz, as their own streaming platform (Neon Alley) was absorbed by Hulu not long after it was released. IIRC, InuYasha is licensed by Viz, so only the first 2 seasons are available on Netflix, but Hulu has the whole thing + sequels.

Granted, I'm in the US, so the situation might be a bit different in the UK.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

Finished off Under The Banner of Heaven, which is easily one of the best limited series I’ve watched in a long time. Might not be a Mormon but I think the themes would touch anyone who grew up in any sort of organised religion. The very question if extremists twist doctrine in order to justify heinous acts… or if the doctrine itself is built on shaky foundations and subject to human vices from the very writers. Had no idea until looking it up afterwards that it was created by Dustin Lance Black, who I mostly know as Tom Daley’s husband, but I’m definitely up for watching anything else he’s developed now!

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett I think that is one things that is pulling me towards the series. Although no one got murdered (as far as I know) when I was a Jehovah's Witness, some really shady things happened that got covered up. So can kinda relate to it in a weird way.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Elodin

Finished Sandman series on Netflix and loved it. I am a huge fan of Neil Gaiman and have read the Sandman graphic novel multiple times. I was worried and excited to watch it. My worries were unfounded. With Neil working closely with the director the TV show stayed close to the graphic novel. The cast choices were great as well. Can't wait for more.

Elodin

LN78

@Elodin I absolutely love the comic series - it's probably my favourite of all time and I've been hearing very mixed things from some of my friends who are even more into Gaiman's stuff than I am. One of them outright hated it. I'm going to leave it well enough alone just in case. Did you enjoy the recent audio adaptations?

LN78

Elodin

@LN78 I'm not sure why someone would hate the show, but I'm more lenient with differences in shows if its done well. It still has Gaimans story intact which was important to me. It just got it the main points in a few different ways. As for the audio, I heard it was fantastic, but I have not had the chance to listen to it yet.

Edited on by Elodin

Elodin

nessisonett

@Elodin Think I’ll probably start it tonight. The rave reviews have totally quelled my fears about Netflix tackling it, they don’t have the best of records when it comes to adaptations. Tom Sturridge is utterly perfect casting as Dream as well!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic