Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 3,281 to 3,300 of 4,463

PegasusActual93

@LN78
It seems you can never please fans with adaptations. Usually they complain when something takes too many liberties but you are telling me they are complaining with the Sandman that it's too faithful to the original? What the hell do these fanboys want?

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

LN78

@PegasusActual93 It's a she and she was hoping for something more along the lines of "The Boys" or "Doom Patrol" in terms of the adaptation. Which is completely fair - what's the point in watching a show that you feel like you've already seen? But you're right - you're never going to please everyone.

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 That’s basically my feelings with The Last of Us in terms of it being a retread of stuff we’ve seen before but then that was cinematic already. I think when it comes to a comic series or a book then I don’t mind if it’s dogmatic to the original work as the novelty of seeing iconic scenes acted out is a big draw. I did love the audio series but I’m up for watching the show because it’s still a different medium. The same is true of the Doctor Who audio plays that I’ve been getting through, a couple of those were adapted to TV and worked pretty well while being able to show off the described environments to a greater spectacle.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@nessisonett I think she was referring specifically to the the images from the comic combined with the already extant audio version (and a potent imagination) having rendered the new Netflix adaptation into something of a moot point, but I get what you're saying. I generally agree with Steph on this sort of stuff (she was spot on about the "Watchmen" movie) so I'm going to give the show a miss because (evidently) I'm not actually going to be missing very much at all.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Elodin

@LN78 @nessisonett For me live action on screen is way different than other mediums. It is hitting other stimuli. To see such a beautifully imagined world come to life in such a great way is amazing. Yes graphic novels and even audio play more so is closer to a TV adaption vs a book to TV adaptation. Also the closer to the original the better. If you love something, the more the merrier.

I hope netflix keeps trying these book/graphic novel adaptations. My number #1 book wish would be the Name of the Wind series. I think Lionsgate still owns the rights to that and last I heard Lin Manuel Miranda was writing the music for it.For graphic Novel choice i would love to see Fables or Saga. Many others as well but those are my top choices.

Edited on by Elodin

Elodin

nessisonett

@Elodin I knew from your name on here you’d be into those books! Part of me feels like they would be incredibly hard to adapt without looking dodgy though, even The Witcher is a little hokey at times and look how much money was chucked at it. Saga as well, I love it but I’m not sure how well it would translate to the screen! Probably why some stories work so well as books/comics, you don’t have to really think about how it could be recreated on a screen.

LN78

@Elodin Really happy you enjoyed "Sandman". @nessisonett BKV has (thankfully) already said he won't allow "Saga" to be adapted into another medium. How very Alan Moore of him. Probably nothing that a dump truck full of money won't sort out, though.

LN78

PegasusActual93

@LN78
I'm confused what that she part you are saying is about, I didn't mention gender anywhere in that comment nor do I ever

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

RR529

Just finished up Maken-Ki season 2.

It completely ditched (what little) narrative elements the first season had, and just absolutely indulges in ridiculous fan service scenarios (in one episode for example, a neglected cat transforms all the girls in the school into cat girls, while in another a sentient perverted teddy bear spies on & gropes them at any opportunity). Apparently the studio knew they weren't going to be getting a season 3, so they just went absolutely wild with the stuff.

The only reason to watch this would be if you're interested in fan service (which at points borders on outright lewd content, especially that OVA episode), and to give it credit they don't cut corners in the animation/detail paid to it (I think practically every other fan service show I've ever seen pales in comparison to the effort this one puts in to that aspect).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

PegasusActual93

@LN78
I didn't address that previous commenter I was talking about rabid fans in general. Fandoms if you prefer then.

nessisonett

@PegasusActual93 To be fair, “fanboys” and “fangirls” are both used, so it’s not as if fanboys is a gender-neutral term!

CJD87

'Banshee' - watching this off the back of finishing off The Boys, as it also stars Anthony Starr (Homelander).

'Banshee' is a 2013 Cinemax offering, Pretty brain-dead at times, but very entertaining. Probably one of the most graphic shows I've ever seen, with quite frequent and intense violence/sex/drugs etc.... Not sure if I'd recommend this to everyone, but its interesting to see AStarr in another role. (nb. I thought he was exemplary as Homelander, and a real standout career moment)

Edited on by CJD87

CJD87

PegasusActual93

@CJD87
Banshee was pure unapologetic mayhem. Another Cinemax offering I would recommend is The Knick. It got cancelled after two seasons but is a really good period drama that despite cancellation ended on a solid enough note.

CJD87

@PegasusActual93 Yes absolutely! Real 'McDonalds TV'.... I know its bad for me, but can't tear myself away from it!
Ha OK I'll stick "The Knick" on my watch-list... after I've recovered from Banshee

CJD87

nessisonett

@CJD87 My mum loved Banshee. I saw a couple of scenes that were genuinely stomach turning and ran away 😂

CJD87

@nessisonett Ha! Honestly, in a lot of ways I actually find Banshee to be far more graphically outrageous than The Boys.... your mum must have an iron stomach!

CJD87

JohnnyShoulder

@CJD87 @nessisonett Her iron stomach obviously does not run in the family! 😂

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

PegasusActual93

@JohnnyShoulder
@nessisonett
I can never really recall ever being very squeamish when it comes to gore but ever since meeting my wife who is big into horror, I am basically immune to it all now.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic