Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 3,241 to 3,260 of 4,463

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I lasted a bit longer than you, think I watched the third season before dropping it. Think I just gave up caring about everything that was happening.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

PegasusActual93

@BearsEatBeets
As someone who used to watch the 60s Lost in Space series with my dad because he grew up watching it, yeah the Netflix remake is certainly less silly.

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

JohnnyShoulder

@ThereThere Is that the investigation into the murders that happen in a Mormon community? If so, I think I was reading about it last week and it sounded really interesting!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

@ThereThere Keep us updated if you stick with it, I'm not keen on subbing to Disney+ again, but if there is more stuff which isn't Star Wars and Marvel which interests me, I may very well do that.

Th3solution

@ThereThere I still find it so curious that you all have so much non-Disney content on your Disney+ over on that side of the world. In the US the D+ library is limited to Disney, Marvel, and National Geographic. We have to subscribe separately (which I don’t) to Hulu to get all the other random shows. If you package the two together you get a slight discount over paying each separately (and it comes with ESPN+ too if I’m not mistaken). I’m sure there’s some convoluted contracting agreement as to why it’s this way. Depending on the price you all have to pay I’d like to have access to some of the Hulu shows like you do, but I’m not willing to carry another service and another sub for them right now. Just the existing D+ is more than I can get around to as I’ve fallen behind on the Marvel and Star Wars shows anyways, with She-Hulk about to drop soon on top of it all.

Incidentally, I was impressed that D+ has gradually tip-toed into the mature content over here. What started out as animated classics and nothing rated above PG-13, now has Logan, Deadpool, and the Netflix Marvel shows.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution It's definitely a chicken-and-egg thing. You folks already had Hulu when Disney+ rolled around, whereas the rest of the world didn't, and Disney clearly saw an opportunity to keep the international market tidy. Being first put you at a disadvantage, because it made you the testbed for all these individual streaming services. I'm sure it's only a matter of time (like you say, rights expiring and whatnot) before Hulu gets totally absorbed by Disney+ and you get the same unified service we do.

For the record, we've had one Disney+ price increase since the service was introduced, so subscribing currently costs £7.99 a month, or £79.90 for a full year. At the current conversion rate, that works out as a $9.80 monthly cost, but bear in mind we don't get ESPN, nor any sports equivalent. The tabs at the top of our app are Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and "Star" (a.k.a. Hulu).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution You guys get HBO Max and over here most of the shows are tied down to lengthy Sky contracts. Which means subbing to the awful NOW TV service. 🤮

RR529

In due time Disney is sure to merge Hulu into Disney+ here in the States & the only reason it hasn't happened yet is due to contractual obligations. If I'm not mistaken Comcast has a 30% stake in Hulu & Disney can't shutter it until 2024 or so when their contract is up & Disney can buy the remaining shares.

They've already started conditioning the D+ audience for more mature content though, with the service getting the Netflix Marvel shows (instead of putting them on Hulu), and very recently both Deadpool movies & Logan made the jump as well. IIRC the D+ Marvel Zombies show is supposed to be aiming for a "TV-MA" rating as well (that, and I believe Disney has refrained from putting any of their pre-Fox R rated content, from the Touchstone label, on Hulu as well, which they probably wouldn't do unless they were planning on shuttering it).

Anyhow, what I came here to say.

Tekkaman Blade II - 90's anime OVA miniseries that I first watched uploaded onto YouTube nearly a decade ago. Found out it had been remastered & released on Blu-Ray so here we are.

Focuses on a group of "Tekkaman" (pretty much people who can transform into mecha like superheroes) who fight to protect humanity from alien invaders (whom humanity copped the Tekkaman tech from).

I believe it's a sequel to an older series (being a II and all), though that doesn't seem to be too integral to the story (it focuses on a new generation of heroes being trained to take the reigns), and it's an absolute blast. It has a cool visual style/aesthetic, great action, and mixes the mecha/superhero theme with a sort of fighter pilot/Top Gun vibe that really gelled with me. The main female lead can be perhaps a bit whiny (at least when it comes to the prominent romance subplot), but overall I can't find much to fault with it (even at such a short length I think it managed to land the ending pretty well).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

Started watching Under The Banner of Heaven on Disney+ which is bloody brilliant so far. Interesting to see so many non-Americans playing Mormons and being so good at it though.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

PegasusActual93

@JohnnyShoulder
That must be really annoying to have to sign contracts for your services. Used to be that way over here in the states but i think you now can cancel just about any service over here anytime. My only streaming service right now is Hbomax and that has pretty much everything i care to watch at the moment. I dropped Netflix like almost a year ago as aside from Stranger Things there is nothing left there I care about. Do they really not have Hbomax in the UK? If so they need to fix that quickly.

Edited on by PegasusActual93

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

JohnnyShoulder

@PegasusActual93 Yeah as far as I know HBO max is not available in this country. There is probably ways of getting it with a vpn but that is not something I want muck around with.

That is how it works over here for streaming services too. But most most of the HBO shows are only on SKY, which you can get by either signing a contract with them, or by subbing to NOW TV their streaming service which you can cancel at any time.

The main reason I don't like the service is that in order to get 1080p quality movies and TV shows, you need to pay an extra £5 per month. I don't mind paying extra for something like 4K content, but not 1080p which almost every other service offer as part of the basic package.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

PegasusActual93

@JohnnyShoulder
What is the base resolution if you have to pay extra for just 1080? That is so stupid.

Edited on by PegasusActual93

XandertheWise

i renewed my netflix membership yesterday. Last time i was using Netflix was back in March. nothing good on at the time where the only thing i was slowly binge watching was Naruto.

XandertheWise

JohnnyShoulder

@PegasusActual93 720p I believe. Which was acceptable 10 years ago but not these days. I think it is cos they don't want to accept people who have a contract with them, as they can get 4K, but not through the NOW TV streaming service.

Thrillho

Having had the house to myself for a few days, I finally decided to give The Boys a go as it’s been on my radar for a while but @LtSarge talking about the new series made me decide to go for it.

I blasted through the eight episodes of series one in three days and it is a bonkers show. A really clever premise (even if the MCU leant into the same sort of ideas in some of the middle films) but it’s darker and more brutal than even Deadpool would go for; each episode normally has a particularly shocking moment at least.

After the first seven episodes, the finale almost felt a bit tame in comparison but wrapped the series up nicely. Am very keen to watch on from here!

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

LtSarge

@Thrillho Nice, I'm glad I helped convince you to watch it and that you enjoy it!

I do have to admit that, for some reason, it feels like each season finale happens in the second to last episode in every season and that the last episode is very mild in comparison to the episode before it. I don't know if I'm the only one who feels like this. It's very weird but I guess it's also a nice way to "cool off" from the previous episode before ending the season.

LtSarge

PegasusActual93

@LtSarge
Havent seen the Boys so can't comment but me and my wife watched True Blood and every season of that had the final episode wrap up thats season conflict in the first 30 minutes and then spent the rest of the episode kind of just meandering. It was really weird.

JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

Looks like it is not just Netflix that has to adjust to life after people being in lockdown (I'm hesitant to use terms like 'struggling' like I've seen elsewhere), with HBO Max laying off a number off staff and cancelling a bunch of original movies and TV shows.

colonelkilgore

Just finished season 1 of My Hero Academia - it took me a while to get into it but yeah it did live up to the hype I’ve heard from all quarters. Netflix only have season 1 so I have no idea how I’ll end up watching the later seasons but I’m definitely keen to continue with it.

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic