Forums

Topic: The Resident Evil Discussion Thread

Posts 141 to 160 of 197

LtSarge

@KilloWertz Well it's not all positive anymore. I played another hour now and the game feels too difficult. The enemies absolutely eat away at your health, not to mention that they are plentiful as well as bullet sponges. On top of this, you barely get any health items in this game. It's just annoying, especially when they grab you and literally take away an entire bar. In previous RE games, you'd barely lose any health as long as you button mash them away fast enough. Even if I do the same thing in RE6, they take away so much health. So I decided to lower the difficulty from Normal to Amateur and now it feels right. The zombies die much faster, which is great considering how many of them there are, and now I don't lose an entire bar whenever I get grabbed as long as I push them away fast enough. This feels much more fair, but it sucks that this isn't Normal difficulty.

LtSarge

KilloWertz

@LtSarge Welcome back to reality.

I was seriously just joking, so it was alright regardless. I've never played the game either, so I can't actually give my own opinion anyways. If it wasn't for the difficulty issues that you bring up, I probably would have liked the game like your initial impressions as well honestly. I'm one of the rare people that actually liked the Resident Evil 3 remake over Resident Evil 2's. I loved both, but 3 being more action-oriented made it more "fun" for me.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

LtSarge

@KilloWertz I don't think most people take issue with RE3 remake being more action-oriented, but the fact that a lot of content from the original was cut out. Which in my opinion isn't as bad as it sounds because I've played the original and the content that was cut out felt like leftovers from a bunch of ideas that the developers had. It just felt unrelated to the story and the areas were too brief to be meaningful. It's not like the lodge from RE1, at least that one you spend a good chunk of the game in.

But yeah, if you like action-oriented Resident Evil then you'll like RE4, RE5 and maybe even RE6.

LtSarge

KilloWertz

@LtSarge Probably true, I just know that some fans usually hold the more survival horror Resident Evil games in higher regard since they didn't like the series going more action-oriented. I guess that really wasn't until later entries (and pre-remakes) though. I do remember a lot of complaints about cut content, but that didn't bother me at all either as I never played the original anyways, so I didn't know what I was missing. I thought it was a very well paced package as is, and it was a bit of a relief not having to worry about Mr. X constantly chasing you at times when you're just trying to explore and also magically finding you even when it would be impossible.

I've already played the Resident Evil 4 Remake, so I won't be going back to try the original. Maybe someday I'll try 5. Maybe because there's several series I unfortunately ignored for the most part over time (Resident Evil for the most part obviously, most of the Ys series that's available on PlayStation besides VIII, the Crossbell part of the Trails series, everything before Metal Gear Solid 4 in that series, etc.)

LtSarge

@KilloWertz It's still crazy to me that in the original RE2, you don't even get to meet Mr. X at all during your first playthrough. He'll only show up in the second playthrough. It's so bizarre because he's one of the reasons why RE2 is such an iconic entry in the series. I'm glad he shows up immediately in the remake (or at least that's what I assume?).

LtSarge

KilloWertz

@LtSarge Maybe a happy medium would have been even better as I think he's around a bit too much in the remake. I don't care what you are, if somebody runs far away from you (like literally the complete other side of the police station without him following), you are not going to find them again very quickly. I could be in the minority there, but oh well.

As for when he pops up, if I remember correctly, it's at least when you get to the police station. So, fairly early at least.

LtSarge

Just finished Leon's campaign in Resident Evil 6, which took around 7 hours or so. I enjoyed it but not as much as I would've liked. It could be because I lowered the difficulty as it just didn't feel as much fun when you didn't have to manage your inventory that much. At the same time though, I think that I managed to avoid getting frustrated in the second half of the campaign due to the lowered difficulty as there were some sections that could've been difficult for me. Not to mention all the QTEs. Also, the fact that the campaign was so short meant that whenever you got a new weapon, it didn't feel as rewarding. You were basically handed all the major weapons rather quickly. And because it was so short, it had very little build-up. I can admit that I would've much preferred one single story that's longer rather than four shorter ones.

I still liked it though because it felt so much fun to go all out with this series after so many entries. It's like a celebration of the series as a whole. I'm looking forward to going through the other campaigns now.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

LtSarge

So I started up Chris' campaign in RE6 and I'm enjoying the game way more now that I'm playing it on Normal. There are other things that could explain this as well. For starters, there are skills in this game that you can equip, e.g. increased defence or firearm power. When I started Leon's campaign, I didn't have any skills and as a result, I found it rather challenging. But when I started Chris' campaign, my previous skills, including defence and firearm power, carried over from the previous campaign. I barely lost any health this time around and enemies are dying much faster. If I were to play Leon's campaign now, I think I'd have a much better time than the first time because of the skills. It kinda sucks then that I started with Leon's campaign. Maybe I should've left it for later for maximum enjoyment.

Another thing is that there aren't as many QTEs in Chris' campaign that I've noticed so far. Leon's had so many and I didn't realise just how annoying they were because they would constantly show up whenever a zombie jumped you. Then they would eat away at your health so easily because it takes so much time to perform the QTE. But the enemies in Chris's campaign don't jump you at all.

It's also nice to have an assault rifle right from the get-go. RE6 really wants to be a military shooter because of how many enemies there are in the levels but it never goes all out in Leon's campaign compared to Chris'. Not to mention that the enemies aren't as relentless as in the earlier RE games where they were more slow. As a result, the handgun, shotgun and so on don't feel as fitting in RE6 compared to e.g. RE1. I mean, when you play Call of Duty, it's not like you want to use the handgun. You want to use assault rifles, submachine guns and so on.

So yeah, I'm definitely enjoying Chris' more action-focused campaign than Leon's more (annoying/challenging) survival horror campaign.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

oliverp

@LtSarge Oh cool. Well Iam glad that you enjoyed Chris' campaign more then Leons. I did to. The reason I did not wanted to say too much before was because I did not want to spoil things for you . It will be interesting to see what you think about Adas and Jack's campaign when you get to that point in the game… I think in general that Resident Evil 6 is an underappreciated title and game (many seem to hate the game). Many seem to have missed it as well. Maybe because of the bad reviews the game got at launch. I mean it does not feel like many can have had any good idea of how hard the developers must have been working to finish the game given the big scope of the game. I also think you kind of must play the whole game before you can leave any final judgment on the game. I think also many people maybe just have played one or two campings in the game and then moved to something else not playing the entire game not given the game an honest chance to show what it got to offer.

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

Zuljaras

@oliverp I decided to play every Resident Evil game so 6 could not be missed. I played through all of the character campaigns, and I made the HUGE mistake of playing Leon's campaign first ...

I hate to say it, but I had to force myself to play it ... every campaign was BAD except for the start of Leon's. After he got to China it was terrible

Resident Evil is known as Survival Horror and in RE6 there was no survival and no horror at all. It was packed with Michael Bay quick time events and that is it

But it was not the end for the franchise! RE7 and RE8 are just amazing!

oliverp

@Zuljaras Yeah so of course everyone is entitled to their own personal opinion. That being said I still personally like some of the content in R6. Not saying I did not like RE7 which I did very much. Also I would say that both R7 and R8 are in part action games which I personally think is kind of cool

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

LtSarge

I just finished Chris' campaign in RE6. It's easily my favourite one thus far! I enjoyed it way more than Leon's campaign, mostly because of the reasons I mentioned earlier. But it also had more action set-pieces, like driving and flying sections. The bosses were cooler as well! Not to mention that it did also have some scary sections, like when you're running away from those enemies that can put themselves back together.

I'm genuinely looking forward to Jake's campaign next!

LtSarge

kyleforrester87

Personally I found Leon’s campaign serviceable, Chris’s was a bad joke and I didn’t bother with Jake’s as a result! Glad someone else enjoyed it, though. RE7 was really good in comparison, but I’ve not managed to gel with 8.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

LtSarge

Finished Jake's campaign now. Another fun campaign! This leads me to believe that I truly messed up my playthrough of Leon's campaign because I decided to lower the difficulty. Although I do have to say that Jake's campaign was probably the easiest one thus far. I barely took any damage during the first half and the game gave you plenty of health items. So maybe I should've started with this one.

Another thing worth mentioning is that if you've played Leon's and Chris' campaigns, Jake's will feel rather repetitive because a lot of the sections in it are the same as in the other two's campaigns. It's definitely one of the drawbacks of having multiple storylines crossover, at least when you need to play all of them to experience the full story. It's not like in e.g. RE2 where it adds more replay-value to play as a different character.

Onward to Ada's campaign!

LtSarge

LtSarge

Just finished Ada's campaign and thus the entirety of Resident Evil 6 after roughly 22 hours of playtime. In terms of Ada's campaign, it felt more like an afterthought compared to the other three campaigns. I mean, you see Ada throughout all the campaigns and it feels like the devs had to include her in every scenario she showed up in in her campaign just for everything to make sense. But the result is a disjointed experience. Although it was worth playing it for the huge twist that ties up all loose ends from the other campaigns.

So what did I think about RE6 as a whole? It was a fun game, just like I thought it would be. It's seriously so misleading how much hate this game receives just because it isn't survival horror. The actual game is good! Just because it isn't what you expect from the series doesn't mean it's a bad game at all.

Another reason to the poor reception could be that Capcom released this as a mainline game. If it were a spinoff, I think people would've reacted more positively to it. I mean, as a Resident Evil fan, how can you not like this game? You play as Leon, Chris and Ada in the same game! There's also Sherry Birkin from Resident Evil 2 and the son of Albert Wesker. There are so many cool interactions between the characters as well. For example, we finally get to see Leon and Chris interact with each other for the first time ever! On top of all this, there are also tons of familiar Resident Evil bosses. The shark from RE1, Yawn (giant snake) from RE1, an enemy that's heavily reminiscent of Nemesis from RE3 and chainsaw man from RE4.

Resident Evil 6 is a celebration of the series as a whole! How ironic then that RE fans don't like this game.

Not to mention that Resident Evil has come so far that it isn't just about the survival horror aspect anymore. It's also about all the stuff that makes the series recognisable, like the characters. Leon, Chris, Jill, Claire, Ada. They used to be playable in every new game, but now we don't see them anymore. That's why I really appreciate RE6.

So all in all, I enjoyed my time with Resident Evil 6 and I'm definitely glad that I played it. After having played so many entries in this series, it was nice to celebrate my time with it with RE6.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

KilloWertz

@Bentleyma I've only watched Episode 1 so far, but it was pretty good. I look forward to watching Episode 2 later and then the rest eventually.

Alright, who were you? Probably the cop who gets killed after taking a poop, I mean poo.

oliverp

@LtStarge Ah cool to read your impressions of the game a few months after you completed it. Iam of course glad that you enjoyed the game to.

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

sorteddan

Made a start on Resident Evil Village and just a few hours in. Have to say it gets pretty intense pretty quickly - going from the opening introductory bit to being chased by a village full of werewolves in the first 20 minutes!

Then it's meeting some of the creepy cast of characters and exploring the castle, solving puzzles, upgrading weapons, crafting ammo and trying not to use all of my first aid potions. All very Resident Evil. I like how it's kept the red and blue map stuff so I know which areas require more thoroughly exploring. I made it as far as the first real boss and that was pretty awesome to overcome.

I do feel pretty bad for Ethan though, only around 3.5 hours in and he's had some fairly brutal treatment. I imagine he'll be in for some more before my time controlling him is up. Enjoying it despite being constantly on the edge of my seat.

Edited on by sorteddan

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Jimmer-jammer

@sorteddan I had such a great time with Village, to the point it’s probably my favourite RE! Sounds like the perfect way to ring in Halloween. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

CaptD

@sorteddan Enjoy. I've been resisting the temptation of RE8 (and RE4) till I get a VR2 headset, been especially tricky as of late with all the decent deals on the gold edition.

CaptD

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic