Forums

Topic: The Resident Evil Discussion Thread

Posts 181 to 197 of 197

LtSarge

@KilloWertz Sounds like you've played some of the best games of the series. I've purposefully held off on the remakes of 2, 3 and 4 just because I want to work myself up to them, like I tend to do with most series. It'll be interesting to hear from you what you think of the older games as you've mostly played the newer ones. Granted, I think Capcom will most likely release more remakes during the time it takes you to go through the rest of the series.

On a side note, I tried out Revelations on Portal last night and it felt great playing the game on it, which isn't surprising considering Revelations was originally a handheld game. But it's still interesting how we've gone full circle with this game lol. I can't imagine how cumbersome it must've been to play it on 3DS considering its limited controls.

LtSarge

KilloWertz

@LtSarge That I have and I've loved all of the remakes. I don't remember if I ever actually finished the original Resident Evil back in the day, but I included it anyways. I'll mainly wait for remakes to play most of the series, but ones like Revelations aren't likely to get remakes, so I figured that one was pretty safe. I know the review for it here wasn't very positive, but I'm pretty confident I'll enjoy it as I saw bits and pieces of somebody's playthrough of it my brother watches on Twitch.

I'll probably jump to Resident Evil 7 after Revelations. Hopefully giving it a second chance will work out, as it didn't click with me the first time I tried it a few years ago. Technically a few of my favorite games of the last several years didn't click with me initially (demo or initial playthrough), so there's hope.

Edited on by KilloWertz

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

LtSarge

So I just finished Resident Evil Revelations on PS4 after roughly 12 hours of playtime. Great game! If it weren't for the awful aiming, this game would've been a much better experience. But it was nice playing another traditional survival horror Resident Evil game. Granted, there weren't many puzzles to solve but you do have to find keys to locked doors and backtrack to previous areas like in the older games. Having an abandoned ship as the setting is a brilliant idea for a horror game, more games should use it as a setting. I only know of Man of Medan as another horror title with that setting. But yeah, even though it started as a mix of horror and action, it was mostly a survival horror experience with some sprinkles of action here and there. And honestly, the story was pretty interesting to follow. Umbrella weren't the bad guys this time, which is super refreshing for a Resident Evil plot lol. It was also nice playing as Jill and Chris again but also as a bunch of other characters. There's actually a great deal of a variety throughout the game. I was a bit confused when this game took place, but basically it's a prequel to Resident Evil 5. So if a remake of RE5 is in the works, then it's worth playing Revelations before that game. It gives more backstory to the organisation Jill and Chris belongs to, which I feel wasn't explained that well in RE5. Kinda wish I played Revelations before RE5 myself.

So yeah, I really enjoyed my time with Revelations. It's a great Resident Evil game and it was tons of fun to play, just as you'd expect from this series. In fact, I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I honestly think the Resident Evil games are more fun than scary to play lol. Finding new weapons, collecting ammo and herbs, upgrading stuff, solving puzzles, it's just such a fun gameplay loop.

So now I have Resident Evil 7, 8, remakes of 2, 3, 4, Revelations 2, Code Veronica X as well as The Darkside Chronicles left to play. Kinda crazy how many games I've played of this series when a couple of years ago, I hadn't even played one game lol. I think my next game will be Code Veronica X as I want to wrap up the older games so I can completely focus on the newer titles. I did also try out the game on PlayStation Portal and it actually works really well on the device. So that will definitely motivate me even more to play it in the near future.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Ralizah

After more than a week spent struggling with the ghost survivor modes in RE2R, I've decided to just uninstall the game and move on. They're obnoxiously difficult.

I did, at least, complete the easiest one.

@LtSarge Revelations isn't quite as exciting these days, post RE7/RE2R/etc., but coming off the heels of RE 4 - 6 and releasing as an exclusive on the 3DS, it was a gigantic breath of fresh air for the series at the time.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

oliverp

@LtSarge Oh cool review of Resident Evil revelation. Its a game that I have been thinking about checking out.

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

oliverp

On another note its 2024 and it feels like it have a while since we heard something from Capcom. When would it be reasonable to expect an announcement of the the next Resident Evil game? It feel like an announcement should not be to far off.

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

LtSarge

@Ralizah That's the reason why I play games in order haha. The excitement I have for the remakes and 7/8 is off the charts now. Wouldn't have felt the same if I had gone in reverse order.

But yeah, the fact that this was originally a 3DS game just baffles me. It's too bad third-party support dropped so fast for the system. Imagine what else could've been made for it.

@oliverp I doubt we'll hear anything from Capcom about Resi this year. Maybe next year and maybe it'll be Resident Evil 9 or Revelations 3. I remember there was a leak for Capcom a while ago and I think it mentioned Revelations 3, which would be cool if that meant returning RE characters like Leon.

LtSarge

oliverp

@LtSarge So yeah I have only heard talk about a Resident Evil 5 remake which sounds very exciting to me.

oliverp

oliverp

Right so it was a while since I last play a Resident Evil game so Iam very temped to soon jump back into the franchise . Had a very fun time Village a few months ago so.

oliverp

oliverp

At same time it have been nice to enjoy and play some ohter non Resident Evil games for a little while to.

oliverp

Zuljaras

On my way to conquer the RE franchise. Today I beat RE2 Original (N64) and now I am moving on to RE3 Original. After that it is time for Code Veronica.

Black_Swordsman

Hi everyone. I was thinking of ordering the Raccoon City Edition of Resident Evil 3 on PS5 recently, can anyone recommend?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Th3solution

@Black_Swordsman I really liked RE3 Remake. Not quite as much as RE2 Remake, but it was still really good. The gameplay is very similar to the RE2 remake, but it’s not quite as puzzle focused and a little more action oriented. The main complaint is usually about how short it is. It can be finished in about 6-7 hours. There is some replay value by doing higher difficulty options, but otherwise, it’s over pretty quickly.

I forget, did you play RE2? It’s a more complex game, with a nice balance of puzzles and combat. It’s worth a look also

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution The Raccoon City Edition comes with RE2 Remake, I completed RE2 OG as a teenager. Thanks for the info, I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Th3solution

@NeonPizza Well said. Makes me want to play them both again. 😄
I actually plan for RE4 Remake as my next RE project. Unlike most people, I didn’t like the original. But I’m willing to see if the remake lands better for me.

@Black_Swordsman I think you’d be pleased with what they did to RE2. Getting both in the Raccoon City package would definitely be the way to go. I had played and enjoyed the OG RE2 back in the day and it was great, but the remake does it better, imo.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Zuljaras

This is my Resident Evil collection. I have a variation of each RE game released (without the gameboy game). Here are my thoughts on each game:

Untitled

1. Resident Evil (original) - this started it all. I played this but never finished it before I got the DS version. It is a good game with some neat designs and the DS version is my favorite of the original release.

2. Resident Evil 2 (Original) - I opted in for the N64 version as it is all on the cartridge and I love cartridges. This is PHENOMENAL GAME! Way better than RE1 original. The RPD is so creepy and atmospheric! My favorite section of the whole game!

3. Resident Evil 3 Nemesis - this is the only game I have not finished or got far into. It is my next game to finish!

4. Resident Evil 4 Original - at first, I did not like the game but that was because of the controls. After some struggle it clicked with me! Also, it is really cool that the whole game is on the Nintendo Switch cartridge

5. Resident Evil Revelations - I did not like this game. Maybe I have to replay it, but the setting was really uninteresting to me

6. Resident Evil 5 - One more game that I did not like. The atmosphere was gone and it was boring!

7. Resident Evil 6 - Absolute disaster The only thing I liked was the first half of Leon's chapter. Everything else was absolute crap

8. Resident Evil 0 - I thought I was not going to like it because of the dual character gameplay but it was an ok experience. Nothing remarkable

9. Resident Evil HD Remaster - That is perfection Absolutely amazing game and it deserves ALL the praise

10. Resident Evil Revelations 2 - This was SO much better than Revelations 1. The atmosphere and the 2 timelines were good! I will definitely replay that

11. Resident Evil VII - I played this blindly and I was expecting something even worse than RE6, but I was blown away by the horror atmosphere! This was a damn good experience!

12. Resident Evil 2 Remake - Another RE game that gets the score "perfection" from me It is so atmospheric and terrifying ... I played thought it at least 6 times and some moments do not get stale

13. Resident Evil 3 Remake - Seeing the comparison videos of Resident Evil 3 Nemesis and this ... it hurts. This is the worst remake and one of the RE games that is in the bottom of my list. The cut content is too much.

14. Resident Evil Village - Some people do not like Ethan but with this game he is one my favorite RE protagonists! Also, the game is so trippy and weird and I LOVE it. I really want to experience this in PSVR2 but I am still on the fence ... it is more expensive than new PS5 in my country Damn!!!

15. Resident Evil 4 Remake - The only bad thig I can say about this is that ... they did not include the DLC on the disc for the Gold Edition Amazing remake and a joy to play! I also want to experience this in VR

sorteddan

Competed my first playthrough of RE3 Remake (PS5) this evening. Don't think I ever played the original so it was good to have seen the missing piece so to speak. Seemed much more of a cinematic blockbuster type affair than the survival horror I was expecting. Though the last section in the base was kind of horror I suppose.

The game moves along at a frantic pace - game time came in just under 6 hours and total time with cut scenes just under 7 - I think I've been disappointed if I'd paid any decent price for a game that short.

Managed to only scrape a C rank on standard difficulty for my efforts, down to number of saves, deaths and overall time. think I'll next play it on easy mode with a collectable guide to pick up all notes, destroy the statues and any other missable stuff I missed first time through.

Main takeaway from my time with it is that Jill Valentine is proper boss b***h. Love her.

Edited on by sorteddan

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic