Forums

Topic: The Resident Evil Discussion Thread

Posts 121 to 140 of 197

Gamer83

@LtSarge
Wish it was a game instead, but definitely looking forward to it.

Gamer83

LtSarge

I've been contemplating which RE game to play next as I'm really in a mood to play one now. I finished RE5 earlier this year, so I thinking about either playing Resident Evil 6, Revelations or Code Veronica X. I really want to play CV next but it sounds like it's the most challenging game in the series. I don't know if I'm ready for it. I've played RE 1-3 on PS1, REmake, RE0, RE4 and RE5 so maybe that's enough. What do you guys think, should I play CV next? Do you have any helpful tips when going into it? Because I keep hearing that the game has poor design and is meant to screw over any first-timers. Should I just expect then to frequently reload the game?

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

oliverp

@LtSarge @LtSarge Good question. Iam glad that I'm not the only RE fan around here. While the series has some fans I wish it had an even larger community of players who were interested to discuss the games in depth.

As with regards to your question I think if you want a more classic and decently focused RE horror experience then I guess it would maybe make most sense to give RE CV or RE Revelations a chance first. Although I guess you can maybe expect a few frustrating moments in those games (as is often the case in RE games).

Its funny that you mention RE6. I have for a very long time thought about RE6 as very underappreciated title. I don't think it deserves all the hate the game has gotten over the years. I really think the developers put a good, large amount of effort into making it (for which they seem not got much credit for because people mostly seem to complain about it). That being said, with four different campaigns it's also quite a big and long game so I don't think there is an understatement to say that it takes quite a long time to playthrough. I would also say that gameplay wise the quality varies quite a bit over the course of the game. Have you btw tried the RE2 remake? I can really recommend that one.. Feel welcome to let me know if you want some more opinions on RE6 or any other RE game and I will try to do my best to answer them.

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

LtSarge

@oliverp Well, most of the RE games I've played are classic RE experiences, so I haven't played many "modern" RE experiences. Now that I think about it, I might actually want to play a more modern RE game next just to spice things up. Not to mention how many modern RE experiences I have left to play compared to only one classic RE experience, which is Code Veronica. I'll have to give it some more thought!

It's very popular in the gaming community to hate on a game in a long-running franchise that deviates from its regular formula. Just look at Final Fantasy XVI as a recent example. However, I don't judge games based on what they should've been, but what they are. Taking FFXVI as an example again, what is there is an absolutely phenomenal experience even if it doesn't play as older FF titles. That's why I think I'm going to like Resident Evil 6. People keep saying how it's not like classic RE. But how is the actual game? Is it any good? That's what I want to know and why I'm actually looking forward to playing it because it looks so ambitious.

I haven't played RE2 Remake yet but I have the game (as well as the other RE titles). I'm a bit unsure when I'll play it. I want to play through Revelations, RE6, Code Veronica and The Darkside Chronicles before I tackle the recent releases, i.e. 7, 8, RE2, RE3 and RE4 remakes, as well as Revelations 2.

LtSarge

oliverp

@LtSarge Well if you like to try a more modern RE game then I definitely think you should give RE6 a try soon. You might be surprised (just as I did). I dont want to spoil everything for you. But yeah I think I can state that some campaigns are definitely better then others. Like each camping's I think provides a slightly different experience.

LtSarge wrote:

However, I don't judge games based on what they should've been, but what they are

That sounds cool.

LtSarge wrote:

@oliverp . I want to play through Revelations, RE6, Code Veronica and The Darkside Chronicles before I tackle the recent releases, i.e. 7, 8, RE2, RE3 and RE4 remakes, as well as Revelations 2.

Oh you have some things to look forward to then hehe..

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

KilloWertz

@LtSarge If you do play RE6, don't read the review here then. I just did out of curiosity since there's a lot of Resident Evil games I haven't played either and it's a doozy. Let's just say Sammy doesn't like the game. At all.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

colonelkilgore

Managed to get a good deal on Resident Evil 4 Remake at the weekend and it’s really motivated me to finally make a start getting into the franchise. Planning on playing Resident Evil Remake in October and then at least one of the subsequent games per year (at halloween probably) thereafter.

Really hoping that Capcom remake Code: Veronica by the time I get to it (roughly 2025/2026 id imagine) as I loved that game back on Dreamcast.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore I essentially binged the remakes earlier in the year and it reinforced for me me just how great these games are. Resident Evil 4 remake is a masterpiece. Did you play the original release?

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer I played a bit on wii… but have very sketchy memories from that era (lots of Mary-Jane… like a lot-a lot 😅). In all, I played and finished Code: Veronica on Dreamcast, maybe got a third to halfway through 4 on wii and played the Resi 2 Remake on PS4 around 3 or 4 years back. Looking forward to sinking my teeth into the series properly though.

**** DLC!

CaptD

@colonelkilgore Nice, I think I saw that deal and was tempted but Im waiting for the free VR update (and to actually buy the headset itself). Capcom are pretty great these days although that exo primal doesn't do much for me.
As for RE games I still have RE2 in my backlog, I'm sure I got that around launch and I've yet to buy RE3 or Village (due to not having VR headset yet). Plus I still have RE7 DLC to play.

CaptD

colonelkilgore

@CaptD as well as being real excited for the 4 remake… I can’t wait to get to 7 and 8 (around the turn of the decade at this rate 😂).

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore Ah yes, I can relate 😬 Well, you’re in for a treat! I’ve actually not played Code: Veronica. I should really get on that!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer not sure how the original CV holds up these days tbh… which is why I’d be all for the full RE engine remake treatment. The original might still be worth a playthrough for the lore though I’d imagine.

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore Yeah, these remakes have been totally worth it, in no small part because Capcom continues to release proper numbered entries, which are also great. Definitely a good time to get into the franchise!

LtSarge

@oliverp I've decided that I want to play RE6 next. I've got the game installed and ready to go. As soon as I'm done with Prince of Persia, I'm starting it up!

@KilloWertz That doesn't surprise me as most people didn't like the game. I'll probably read some reviews after I've finished it just to see how my thoughts line up with other people's.

LtSarge

KilloWertz

@LtSarge That is if you make it through RE6.

My experience with the series is limited to the original Resident Evil and then the Resident Evil 2-4 remakes. I tried 7, but couldn't get into it, but I do want to give it a second chance as plenty of games have clicked with me after giving them a second chance. I obviously look forward to playing Village someday, and maybe picking and choosing a handful of old ones. I know I will never play the whole series as there's just too much to play to do that (both with the RE series and just games in general), but I may give 5 a shot at some point too as I have a much better chance of liking it than some of the other ones probably (especially 6).

oliverp

@LtSarge Oh Cool. I wish you best of luck with the game. Hope of course you report back to us what you think about the game later. No stress though.

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

LtSarge

Started playing RE6 yesterday and played some more today. I'm really liking the game so far! I know that people like Leon's campaign, which is the one I started with, so obviously my thoughts of the game might change after playing the other campaigns. But even playing through this campaign alone seems worth checking out RE6 considering how cheap you can find the game these days.

Anyway, two things I don't see many people talk about with regards to this game is the movement and melee button. First and foremost, RE6 finally got rid of tank controls. Even though RE4 and RE5 introduced freer movement compared to the PS1 trilogy, they still had tank controls. You had to always stand still if you wanted to turn your character. RE6 has completely removed that and it feels great! Secondly, I can't believe that there hasn't been a dedicated melee button in the series until now. Granted, RE4 introduced a permanent hot-key for the survival knife, but it still felt cumbersome to use. RE6 however lets you kick enemies and it feels so much more seamless compared to using the knife. There are so many options now to kill zombies without using ammo, like walking behind unsuspecting ones and killing them instantly or stunning them with your kicks and then executing a finisher. It just feels so natural that I'm baffled this option hasn't been introduced earlier.

Also, the AI in this game is fantastic! You don't have to worry about managing their health or ammo at all like in RE5. Not to mention that they're actually useful in taking down zombies. They'll blast them in the head or crush their heads if they're lying on the ground. It's just so good!

Overall, my impressions of this game so far are very positive. Even if the other campaigns won't be as good as Leon's, the fact that they've improved upon so many aspects compared to the previous games has really impressed me.

LtSarge

KilloWertz

@LtSarge Well, I guess we can officially stop taking any of your game reviews seriously anymore...

Kidding, I swear... lol

Edited on by KilloWertz

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic