Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 601 to 620 of 2,214

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I’m not really a classic rock person, down near the bottom of my sorta tastes. I’ll still give it a go!

1. Revolver - The Beatles
2. Green River - Creedence Clearwater Revival
3. Acabou Chorare - Novos Baianos
4. Paranoid - Black Sabbath
5. Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
6. Who’s Next - The Who
7. Eat a Peach - The Allman Brothers Band
8. Let it Bleed - The Rolling Stones
9. Fragile - Yes
10. Meddle - Pink Floyd

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ShaiHulud

@nessisonett Pedantic Pete here; the Stone Temple Pilots weren't actually from Seattle but were always accussed of copying the Seattle sound

My surprise is that Mark Lanegan (from the Screaming Trees) is still going, and strongly as well.

Sic semper tyrannis

nessisonett

@ShaiHulud I absolutely never noticed that. They were always just lumped in with the others!

ShaiHulud

@nessisonett Much to their discontent It's a bit of bollocks anyway, just because bands came from the same location people started grouping them together like it's the same genre music.

Sic semper tyrannis

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett May I recommend Unspeakable by Bill Frisell? It's a 70s jazz/rnb/funk sounding record made in the 00s with lots of contributions from a 70s r&b producer.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

Oh wow, the Spotify end of year thing is out and is rather embarrassing hahaha. I must have listened to an absolute ton of VGM this year tbh. Would be interesting to share people’s results!

A link to my playlist of top songs from this year that remarkably lacks any actual songs from this year but has Forest Law’s theme from Tekken 3. Go figure. https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/37i9dQZF1ELVem...

Untitled

Thrillho

@nessisonett I don’t actually use Spotify.

I still buy all my music and this year, as I’m listening to so much more because of work, each week I rotate five albums off my phone for ones I’ve not listened to for ages. I go through my library alphabetically to try and find ones I might not otherwise think of.

It’s been quite good fun and there are so many albums I have that I hadn’t listened to in over a decade that are still great. Lots of the noughties indie albums are still great fun like the debuts from Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand.

I still use last.fm though (anyone remember that??) so still have some stats for the year!

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Not sure how accurate that is, but because I listen to a dj mix every week, that dj is my top listened to artist. Even though he plays other artists music and other djs present the show. And it also says my lost listen to song is 'Intro', because the first track is always the introduction! 🤣

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

ShaiHulud

@Thrillho Ha! Last.fm is still used by your truly as well. Still enjoy scrolling through my lists and discovering news bands through it. I've been on it since 2005 or so but deleted my scrobbles in 2010 (very silly of me), but it means I can still see how my taste has changed over the last decade. How time flies!

Sic semper tyrannis

johncalmc

I just got my Spotify Wrapped thing and it's the usual weird mix of "Did I?" and "I don't really believe that."

In 2020...

I gained 1,326 new followers.

I listened to 3,526 different artists.

I discovered 1,354 new artists.

I listened to 862 genres.

My most listened to genre was apparently rock which seems odd but maybe it's a broad definition so we'll run with it.

My most listened to artists were:

01 Chromatics (in top 0.05% of their listeners)
02 Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
03 Johnny Cash
04 Grimes
05 M.I.A.

Very exciting.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Thrillho

@ShaiHulud 131,600 scrobbles since 2008 for me!

My top artist is still Frank Turner (5,404) even though I haven't listened to his stuff at all in the last couple of years. It's still 1,000 listens more than second place (The Menzingers) and more than double that of anything outside the top 5.

It used to be really good for recommendations but I don't really use it for that any more. The recommendations feature of Spotify is one of the few reasons I'd use it but I don't like it as a business model. It's fantastic for the consumer but not the artist and I have lots of musician friends.

A good piece on Spotify in the Guardian today by Nadine Shah;

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/03/music-s...

Thrillho

ShaiHulud

@Thrillho Only 64,000 scrobbles since 2010 for me, although the rate has spiked enormously since I've become self-employed

I agree about Spotify et al as they generally screw bands over royally. I find little joy in streaming, I'd much rather drip feed new music so you don't get blase about it and really appreciate new stuff. I mostly use bandcamp nowadays, but still buy a new album every now and again on CD (remember those?).

Sic semper tyrannis

nessisonett

@johncalmc Ooh, Chromatics, I assume that’s due to their album coming out this year? I’m a big fan of them too and Johnny Jewel’s other projects.

@ShaiHulud @Thrillho I mostly agree about Spotify which is why I tend to buy physical copies of albums if I enjoy them. I use it for everyday use and commuting though, although I guess I could just use my Walkman! It was funny reading through the material my uncle gets sent from the royalties people due to Spotify and radio, you get to see which country the user was from too. You roughly get a tiny tiny tiny tiny fraction of a dollar which just plainly isn’t enough to live on unless you get onto a major playlist used in cafes, bars or something similar. Every one of them from Danananaykroyd have gone on to take ‘proper’ jobs later in life because they don’t get enough to live on by any stretch of the matter. It’s really quite sad to be honest.

Gremio108

My most listened to song this year is apparently 'Every Single Day' by Melt Yourself Down. If ever a song summed up a year, then this must surely be it.

Khruangbin also feature heavily, as does Beck - I'm in his top 0.5%, which I imagine he's chuffed about

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Gremio108

@Thrillho One of Nadine Shah's songs is in my Spotify top ten for 2020. I'm feeling a bit guilty now...

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

johncalmc

@nessisonett I think what I listen to most is based on what playlists I've made this year. That's how it usually goes. Like my most listened to track is nearly always whatever the first track on my best of whatever year it is playlist is. And I've made playlists for all of my top five this year. I have a lot of neatly organised playlists.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic