Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 621 to 640 of 2,197

nessisonett

@johncalmc I just put any song I feel like into one massive playlist. I’ve done it since I was about 15 and it’s currently sitting at 60 hours and 44 minutes. I used to have terrible problems with streaming music while out and about so I do that to download the music onto my phone.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Thrillho

@Draco_V_Ecliptic

The albums on my phone from my alphabetical run through of my library has given me albums from;

Moose Blood (English emo/pop punk band), Mumm-Ra (best known for a single that featured in 500 Days of Summer), Muse (Blacks Hole and Revelations), The Music (a great early 2000s English band), and The National (Boxer).

At this minute I’m listening to the end of Craig Charles’ Funk and Soul Show from last Saturday (6 music).

Thrillho

Black_Swordsman

@Thrillho Oh nice. Will you listen to Iggy Pop in about an hour's time as well? (Also on 6 music)

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

@Thrillho I listened to Boxer a few weeks ago for the first time. I’m still not sure how I feel about it, parts of it are amazing but I think the whole album seems to be at the same kinda pitch and tempo and it washed over me a bit. Still a good album though.

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I’ve been listening to DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ’s DJ mixes which are really great house music. Ichiko Aoba’s new album came out a couple days ago and I heard it’s incredible so I’m gonna give that a listen too.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett What's also incredible is how many times you managed to fit 'DJ' into that sentence.

What sort of music does Ichiko do?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Thrillho

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I’m not a huge fan of his show to be honest, I find it a bit hit and miss for me. I always catch up with the Craig Charles and Huey Morgan shows as they’re outside of stuff I’d buy but I enjoy the stuff they play.

Mary Ann Hobbs did an hour long special with Nils Frahm last night that I need to catch too.

@nessisonett My feeling with The National is that I feel I want to like them more than I do. High Violet is fantastic but most of their other albums have a few great tracks but lots of meh ones. Boxer is a perfect example for that! Like I say, I put it on rotation as it’s been years since I last listened to it.

Thrillho

Thrillho

Newer stuff I’m listening to includes Daniel Avery and Rival Consoles (both electronic artists), Off With Their Heads (punk rock), and the acoustic reworking The Menzingers did of their last album.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic She’s mostly known for doing folky singer-songwriter stuff with a big heap of field recordings and ambient influenced material. And yes, DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ is a great name. Second only to Ross From Friends.

johncalmc

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I go through pretty extreme phases with music and listen to one type of thing exclusively for days then ditch it and take up a new thing. I also like projects and constructing playlists as a means of having some kind of record of everything I like.

My current thing was to finish an old project of mine that I never finished before I abandoned ship and started listening to something else. I was making playlists based on decades but not genre specific - I have lots of genre specific ones of these like 90s pop, or 80s indie etc.

Having already done a big '60s one - like 20 hours - and a shorter '60s one comprised of 50 of my favourite songs which runs 3 hours, I'm now putting 20 of my favourite '60s albums together so I'm listening to lots of '60s albums to see whether they're going to make the cut.

I'm doing this for every decade 😅

I don't think I'll finish this project before moving on to something else.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Ross, the Divorce Force, I believe it was right? Or are you referring to when he made his comeback foray into electronic music? I'd be interested in hearing some of Ichiko's stuff with the field recordings thrown in, sounds like my kind of style - what's a good album by her that features that stuff?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic This is probably the most out there album tbh, the rest are great but this heavily leans into things like birdsong.

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I have no clue to be honest, I don’t think it got an English release and is fairly low-key compared to her bigger releases.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Oh I see, can you recommend one of her English releases then? Sorry if it's a pain to make you go through your backlog.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett @Thrillho Have you heard Bob Dylan's latest album, Rough And Rowdy Ways? - it's a decent album @johncalmc ,do you reckon you have a lot of work left in compiling your playlists?

johncalmc

@Draco_V_Ecliptic That's the beauty of it. There's so much music. The task will never be done. All you can do is make progress. I've always enjoyed it though - it's just like making mix tapes when I was a kid.

Yeah I thought Dylan's new album was great. Murder Most Foul is one of the best things he's done in decades.

johncalmc

Twitter:

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I don’t think any of her releases have received an English issue despite worldwide acclaim. Most of it’s up on Spotify but to actually physically own her stuff is rather expensive, especially on vinyl.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Thanks for the heads up. Now let me run this one past you - best album to own on vinyl by Grizzly Bear? If you're not familiar with them no worries, I just thought you might be as you're quite well-versed when it comes to music.

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Probably Veckatimest, although you can’t go wrong with Yellow House either. Veckatimest is my favourite of the two, just a really solid album with some great singles.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic