Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 581 to 600 of 2,197

nessisonett

@mookysam Your own list is definitely more classic but no less brilliant! I do love Revolver but I think personally I couldn’t choose between that, Sgt Peppers, Rubber Soul and Magical Mystery Tour as they all have a fantastic collection of songs. I love a bit of Elton too, specifically Yellow Brick Road and Honky Chateau are his highlights imo. I was also very tempted to put Purple Rain in there, that’s just hit after hit right the way through.

Fair point about Phil Spector, it’s hard not to think of the whole murdery stuff. Truth be told, my enjoyment of The Smiths and The Stone Roses have been somewhat tainted over the years by their respective frontmen and their antics so it’s always a shame when good music becomes hard to listen to due to external factors.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett I loved Rollercoaster by Red House Painters when I first heard it, particularly the song Funhouse(s?) but that was a while ago that I listened to them. Still, very emotive music. From a lyrical perspective, Biffy Clyro's Simon Neal cites them as an influence. Into Biffy? From your neck of the woods, you pretty much have to be, right? 'mon the biff!

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

mookysam

@nessisonett Cheers. I tend to like older, more classic stuff. Most of The Beatles stuff is brilliant, so it's quite hard to choose. I really like Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour, largely because of how adventurous and weird they are. The singles on the second half of Mystery Tour are wonderful and the first half is probably as close as I'll ever get to taking LSD. I guess I prefer Revolver because it's a little more defined, and I can pick out individual tracks as clear favourites. I'm Only Sleeping is probably my personal theme song. 😂 Rubber Soul is another favourite as you can really hear the Bob Dylan influence, and they were getting a lot more adventurous with their instrumentations. You can certainly hear the technical skill and accomplishment in their playing, too. It's just a nice midway point between the early rock-and-roll and the latter half of their career.

I got into Joni Mitchell at university and slowly bought her albums when I had a spare couple of quid. I always liked Prince, but only listened through his albums in full a few years ago. Purple Rain is very, very strong.
Then there's a load of proper crap I listen to that I enjoy but wouldn't classify as my favourite. 😂 A friend recommended I listen to Kylie's new album and I rather enjoyed it.

Yeah, it can sometimes be hard to separate the artist from the art when they're either a complete tool, or far, far worse. And it's always disappointing when someone who's work you love is an absolute horrible person. I like some of The Smiths' music (especially Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now), but Morrissey is such a complete and utter plonker I'm not sure I could bring myself to actually buy any of his work.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Have you heard any Alice Kemp? Her stuff is hard to track down but very good, I think she may still have a record or two on ebay. Spotify should have her stuff too, or you can just listen on her bandcamp. Let me know if you need links

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Ehhh, I dunno. Not huge on it but then I’ve never been a big fan of Foo Fighters other than maybe their first album. They have a song every once in a while that’s not too bad though like Everlong.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Dave Grohl is pretty much the "straight man" of rock, to use an antiquated expression, no hard living or excessive vice - he only drinks coffee!

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic He’s seen first hand what it did to Kurt Cobain and he’s one of the few surviving grunge dudes so you’d think that would affect him tbh. Eddie Vedder’s the only surviving frontman out of the big 5 Seattle bands which is crazy to think. Cobain, Staley from AiC, Weiland from Stone Temple Pilots and Chris Cornell from Soundgarden are all gone now. It’s a sobering thought.

Also worth noting that ‘straight edge’ was coined by Ian MacKaye of Fugazi and Minor Threat, he was the first to really talk about choosing to abstain from the sex and drugs part of rock and roll.

Edited on by nessisonett

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett And do you think that "straight edge" is a worthwhile philosophy for a rock star?

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I assume so in the sense that it’s probably going to make you live longer. Whether you value living life to the fullest more than living a long life, I guess that’s up to the person.

Anti-Matter

@Draco_V_Ecliptic
Yo.
Have you ever heard this song ?

You seems just only want to talk with nessionett about music.
I want to discuss with you about my music taste, but to tell you i have very different taste in favorite musics.

Anti-Matter

Black_Swordsman

@Anti-Matter Thanks for the song, it isn't really my sort of thing but I am still happy to discuss it, I think that it has a lot of positive energy to it, and is made for dancing in night clubs. Perhaps in the 80s.

nessisonett

@Anti-Matter Captain Jack’s self titled song is a bop. Still, my favourite of the high energy Eurodance is Blümchen’s Herz an Herz.

Anti-Matter

@nessisonett
Wow, Happy Hardcore song. 😀
Like i heard oftenly on DDR.
Btw, if you like Happy Hardcore songs from European artist, i think you like this Happy Hardcore song too.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett What's your take on experimental and avant-garde music in general? i.e noise music and field recordings. I am already aware that you like avant-garde jazz

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I go back on forth on things like field recordings. I really love ambient music and stuff like that but sometimes it can be less ambient and more just genuinely boring. If I’m going to listen to experimental stuff then there has to be a point to it, it can’t just be weird for weird’s sake. It’s probably why I’m not huge on The Residents. I do like Captain Beefheart though.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Beefheart is popular with my family and family friends, Stuart Maconie played The Residents on his Freak Zone show on 6music recently, I thought they sounded pretty good - but I haven't ordered any of their albums. I know what you mean about weird for weird's sake, but with a lot of these field recordings and things like noise music, it gets closer to a purer expression of art, does it not?

(Unless it's just an album of tweeting birds, for example)

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I just like there to at least be some listenable quality to an album. With art you can look at it for 5 seconds then make a judgment. I’d rather not listen for an hour to some dude warbling over cows mooing!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic