Posts 7,821 to 7,840 of 8,930

LN78

A double feature for the ages:
Untitled
How bad can they really be?

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RR529

Watched a lot of stuff since my last post.

65 (Theatre)

Adam Driver stars has the captain of a deep space exploratory vessel, and after his ship is damaged by an asteroid crash lands on an uncharted planet. Now he & a young girl (the only other survivor) must make their way to the one surviving escape pod while avoiding the planet's many dangerous alien life forms. Of course the big twist (present in all the marketing) is that this planet is Earth, 65 million years ago, and said alien life forms are dinosaurs.

It sets up a tense atmosphere that's effective in keeping you engaged in their struggle to survive, an an oppressive almost horror like vibe with a few jump scares (and of course there's a plot twist towards the end in relation to a significant historical event, that places an extra sense of urgency on the timing of their attempted escape). Some of the dinosaur designs seem a bit wonky (they gave the T-Rex longer arms than typically depicted with so it could be quadrupedal at times, and similarly there was a pack of creatures that were very much more lizard like than dino like. Most of the others were more recognizable though), it was a bit visually hard to see things during night scenes (though this was probably at least partially intentional due to the tone), and there's a specific geyser that comes into play during the climax in a contrive way (just for the fact that it shouldn't have been anywhere near their destination).

That said it was a decent watch, and it's nice to support something in theatres that's not an uber big blockbuster.

Black Adam (Amazon Prime rental)

Not terrible, but not particularly great either.

One thing I do think DC (generally) does better than Marvel is portray how strong the super powerful characters are, and while the fights aren't quite up to the standard of those in Man of Steel, they still tend to be a fun time (especially the slow-mo spectacle when he first wakes up).

Otherwise there's not much noteworthy about it, other than I guess there's at least one decent twist in the narrative. A bit overstuffed with new (to screen) heroes, and although Doctor Fate was cool I'm sure he'll mostly come off as an off brand Doctor Strange (yes, I know he came first in the comics). Just an average superhero movie.

Lupin III: Bye Bye Lady Liberty (Blu-Ray)

Special (I think the series' first made for TV movie, in fact) that sees Lupin & co get caught up in the schemes of a cult who controls the world from behind the scenes, who are looking for a diamond that is the key to unlocking a new type of computer virus that'll let them control all computer systems in the world.

Nothing must watch, but a nice time for fans of the franchise. Animation looks pretty good for a "made for TV" caliber movie, the gang briefly steals the Statue of Liberty, magical cult nonsense, all that good stuff.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Amazon Prime)

Maybe I should rewatch the first to see if my opinion of it holds up, but off the top of my head... I didn't care for this one as much.

Don't get me wrong, it still has some humorous moments & fun action (and the humor probably hits more often for it's younger intended audience), but it seems to get sillier the more Sonic universe characters it introduces (which is kinda unavoidable, but the more gamey it gets, the more it feels like it wasn't a good idea to make this live action/set in the real world in the first place). The whole subplot/humor surrounding the sister in law's wedding was a dud, too.

I'm probably overthinking what is ultimately a kid's film though, and it ultimately was fun (based on the end credits scene, I'm kinda looking forward to how much they're going to run this into the ground, lol).

Weird Science (Blu-Ray)

80's film that sees two high school dorks attempting to create a "digital girlfriend" via computer, so that they have something to practice talking to girls with, and somehow, impossibly actually bring her to life thanks to some light Frankenstein inspired elements. Despite the fact that she insist's she is theirs to do with what they want, they're clearly not man enough to handle her & thus she uses her (magical) abilities to help them open up & find their place amongst their peers (and get genuine, human, girlfriends).

It's 80's nonsense in the best way possible (cool but nonsensical computer abilities, an absolutely cracking theme song, blink & you'll miss it PG-13 nudity, etc). Nothing artful, but very fun if you're in the right mindset.

Ford V Ferrari (Hulu)

Wanting to get into racing in order to entice youth buyers (and to one up Ferrari after a little tit for tat between the two companies), Ford Motor Company teams up with the only American to win Le Mans, automotive designer Carroll Shelby, in order to design a race car capable of besting the Italian car maker in the prestigious event.

A lot of masculine bravado as everyone seems stubbornly intent on clashing with everyone else (Henry Ford II vs Ferrari, Carroll Shelby and his hand picked driver, Ken Miles, vs the suits at Ford, and sometimes each other) and with a lot of fantastic action on the track, it's a very fun movie. Of course probably a bit exaggerated for movie making sake, but an interesting look back at automotive & racing history.

Striptease (Blu-Ray)

This is much better than it has absolutely any right to be.

I mean, I rewatched it because boobs, and... yay boobs I guess (though I'll admit the blonde with the super massive fake ones had even me wincing, & this is coming from someone who enjoys low rent fan service anime), BUT it has some genuinely funny comedy bits, especially from the senator & owner of the strip club. Yeah, they're sleazy, but they're almost always the butt of the joke & Moore's character is almost always the smartest one in the room so I can't say it's mean spirited.

Tetris (Apple TV+)

The core story behind this is actually pretty interesting (the whole unprecedented bit about a businessman trying to strike a deal directly with the Soviet government in regards to licensing a product for sale in the west, especially since he was skipping certain legalities), and as someone who grew up on Nintendo it was cool in general to see the story behind one of the most famous games in history.

That said it got a little silly in the second half when they turned it into a bit of a political thriller (culminating in a high speed car chase across Moscow), but Hollywood is going to Hollywood I guess (over Tetris though, lol). Also no reason this needed to be R rated (I'm not a prude by any means, but this seemed to have over a dozen F-bombs for no other reason then to have them), I mean, it's a story about frickin' Tetris.

Still really liked it though, and it was interesting to watch a movie that largely took place in the backdrop of Soviet Moscow.

InuYasha the Movie 2: Castle Beyond the Looking Glass (Blu-Ray)

Rewatching the series (collecting it on Blu-Ray) and made it to the point where you can fit in the second movie.

Probably overrating it a bit because it's my favorite of the movies in a franchise that's nostalgic for me, but I can't deny I had a lot of fun with it. There's not a whole lot I could say about it that would convince someone who isn't already a fan to see it (though I want to give a shout-out to the fight with the big 3/4 headed sea serpent thing, which was exciting as all get out), but I will say it looks absolutely gorgeous on Blu-Ray. I had purchased the digital version a few years ago on Amazon, but it seems like the quality of it really dips at specific times (it wasn't a buffering issue, and is an issue across all the InuYasha movies digitally), yet the BD is absolutely crystal clear and almost looks like a contemporary release in terms of quality (the first movie looks better on BD as well, but it seems like this one's conversation is above & beyond). Hope the last two films are updated to this standard.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RogerRoger

@RR529 I'll admit, Black Adam is on my "someday" shortlist purely because of Pierce Brosnan's casting as Doctor Fate, which everybody seemed to agree was a masterstroke (and from the handful of spoiler-free reviews I've read, sounds like a highlight in an otherwise average affair, too). And you're absolutely right about the wedding subplot in Sonic 2 as well, although I'm gonna give the movie another shot sometime soon, and am hoping it's not as left-field as I remember.

I'm really glad you liked the Tetris movie! Will be watching that as soon as possible!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RR529 The best thing about "Striptease" was the Time Out review - "Demi Moore - the more she flashes, the harder it crashes". Genius.

LN78

XandertheWise

watched One Crazy Summer on Tubi last night. Still a great John Cusack movie. One unintentionally funny moment in the movie is in the beginning where Hoops accidently kills a fellow student at the graduation ceremony

also is the Boscoe dog in the movie supposed to be male or female? Cause at the end it doresnt make sense where Boscoe has a couple of pups where the pups are wearing those cone protector things on their necks

XandertheWise

BearsEatBeets

@XandertheWise I haven't seen One Crazy Summer in a very long time. I used to really like it and would love to see it again. I've not been able to find a way to see it since getting rid of my vhs collection many moons ago. There didn't seem to be any digital formats of this film, at least not last time I checked.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

BearsEatBeets

I ascertained that @XandertheWise, as you stated as such in your comment. Seeing as I live in the UK and not America though, it's irrelevant as Tubi doesn't exist over here. If it only just got added maybe there is a slim chance one of the UK services will add it sometime.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Ralizah

@RR529 My sister and I lost it when we watched the Tetris trailer and it was full of car chases and stuff. Still feels like a fake movie to me. Pity they couldn't have just stuck to the facts and made an entertaining documentary about the origins of the game, which are already pretty interesting.

I'll check it out when it goes to literally anything other than Apple's streaming service.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RR529

@Ralizah, yeah, the only reason I was able to watch it is because anyone with a PS4 or PS5 can get a free 6 month trial of Apple TV+ (at least in the US).

I'll just have to remember to cancel the subscription before October comes around. There are like 3 or 4 other movies on there I might watch, but man does it look barren in terms of exclusives.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

@RR529 Yeah, that's why we canceled. We already have Prime Video, Hulu, Netflix, Paramount, HBO Max, and Peacock, lol.

LN78

@Ralizah Out of interest (cable TV isn't really a thing in the UK) isn't maintaining all of those subscriptions more expensive than the old way of doing things?

LN78

Ralizah

@LN78 It isn't, thankfully.

Although we're on the low tiers of these subs where it makes sense (the versions with commercials), which has prompted more than a few cracks from me about how this is just Cable TV 2.0. But you still have a lot more control over what you watch, more diversity of content, etc.

LN78

@Ralizah Juggling subscriptions based on what I want to see in a given month has become a particular tedious (but fiscally prudent) part of my viewing routine - it's so easy to forget that x,y and z recurring payments are active and end up forking over for services that won't get used.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Ralizah

@LN78 If I had my way, we'd drop Netflix and just re-sub occasionally when new seasons of Stranger Things and Cobra Kai dropped. Service is way overpriced compared to the competition, and they haven't put out something genuinely new in years.

Somehow forgot to add that we have Disney+. Another one I'd drop if it was on my dime.

Paramount has been amazing so far. So much Star Trek. Finally watched Top Gun 2 as well, which was... great, actually. Never fell in love with the first one, but I thought the sequel was pretty great. In retrospect, it was definitely a contender for best film of the year.

Edited on by Ralizah

LN78

I think myself and @JohnnyShoulder were the only two people on here who were less than impressed with "Top Gun 2". That Cruise was still pulling the exact same crap as the last time I saw him in a new movie (about 15 years ago!) was no surprise at all, though. He's such a hack.

LN78

Ralizah

LN78 wrote:

That Cruise was still pulling the exact same crap as the last time I saw him in a new movie (about 15 years ago!) was no surprise at all, though.

I'm gonna ask you to elaborate on that, because I have no idea what you mean.

LN78

@Ralizah I'll just refer you to comment #7497 in this topic.

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

MightyDemon82 wrote:

Hotline Miami the movie a.k.a John Wick Chapter 4 was excellent. Great movie, at almost 3 hours long it went by pretty quickly!

Apparently it was inspired by Honk Kong Massacre. Not played either game or seen the film, so can't say where I stand.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

zupertramp

@LN78 it really can depend on wherever you live, as most cable companies have a monopoly over various areas. Cox, Cable One, Xfinity, TW/Spectrum, etc... and they all have varying price packages so it's possible having that many streaming services is cheaper but probably not. I sporadically subscribe to HBO Max and that's already too much for me but definitely cheaper than cable in my area.

Though really, much of the (best) programming is now only available on a streaming service so they got us all over a barrel over here anyway imo.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic