Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 6,601 to 6,620 of 8,866

BearsEatBeets

Just discovered the trailer for the latest Predator movie 'Prey'. looks interesting and a lot more unique than the previous ideas.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

LN78

Two more Cannon Films releases done and dusted - both of them "Indiana Jones" rip-offs and both of them significantly better than his last adventure in "The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". The first was a buddy comedy of sorts called "Firewalker" starring Chuck Norris and Louis Gossett Jnr. as a pair of bickering mercenaries/treasure hunters on a quest (along with Melody Anderson from "Flash Gordon") to find some lost Incan gold or something. Some really dodgy Native American stereotyping, a weird John Rhys Davies cameo and a seriously overused temple set aside this one was just dull. The second film was "King Solomon's Mines" starring a charisma vacuum called Richard Chamberlain and a pre-stardom Sharon Stone. Tenuously based on the novel of the same name, this was a straight "Raiders" but made for £1.49 affair. More racial stereotypes, another appearance by Rhys Davies (he must have really needed the money) and naff plastic effects abound but there were a couple of good lines,big explosions and a score from none other than Jerry Goldsmith to save the day. This did well enough to earn a sequel a year later but I just don't have the inclination or the willpower to sit through it at the moment or probably ever.

LN78

LtSarge

Just finished watching Prometheus for the first time. It wasn't as scary as I thought it'd be. Granted, none of the Alien movies after the first one were scary but I had hoped this one would be. The movie had at least a very interesting plot and the characters were much more likeable compared to all the obnoxious and cheesy ones from e.g. Aliens. It also helped that there were some great actors in it, such as Michael Fassbender and Idris Elba. And some of the scenes were absolutely grotesque, it was insane. Really good stuff though.

Overall, I really enjoyed Prometheus and I'm looking forward to watching Alien: Convenant next.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

LN78

Well the "Jurassic Park 6" reviews make for some interesting reading - single star write ups from the critics from The Independent, The Telegraph,The Times and The Guardian. And they all loved "Top Gun 2" so it's not some kind of film snobbery or anti sequel bias at work - it must actually be pretty lousy.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 Jeeeeez, so many 1 stars is not a good sign at all. And exactly, they’re all publications which recognise decent action flicks such as Top Gun 2, the Mission Impossible movies and such.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

BearsEatBeets

@LN78 Blimey that is bad. Any idea what they gave the last 2 Jurassic films? I thought they were entertaining enough films and pretty sure they reviewed okay. This one it seems might be quite a mess.

BearsEatBeets

BearsEatBeets

I finally got around to watching The Blind Side the other night and really enjoyed it. Funnily enough had it's weakest moments with the actual football but thought it was well told overall and an interesting (real life) story.

BearsEatBeets

LN78

@BearsEatBeets I haven't got a clue. The general critical consensus seemed to be that the first movie in the rebooted series was decent but derivative and that the second was a bit of a tonal mess (very much a film of two halves) and so not as good. I've seen all the films in the series but beyond the first one they're all a bit ot a jumble in my memory, I'm afraid.

LN78

LN78

Major blu-ray delivery just now. I got -

• "Lawrence of Arabia" 4K Steelbook
  • "Drive" 4K Special Edition from Second Sight
  • "Licorice Pizza" on blu-ray and
  • "Arachnophobia" on blu-ray.
    Very excited about "Lawrence of Arabia" in particular. It was previously released as part of the first "Columbia Classics" 4K set which had some rather bizarre inclusions that I wasn't interested in, so I'm glad it's finally got a standalone release. It's one of the greatest movies I've ever seen and the 4K blu-ray has had nothing but ecstatic reviews. I hope to goodness it rains on Sunday afternoon so I have a good excuse to sit in and watch it!

LN78

nessisonett

With them announcing a Thunderbolts movie, I think I’m finally over Marvel. The direction they’ve been going in has been incredibly uninteresting since the initial buzz around WandaVision and Loki. To now do a movie which will inevitably have Florence Pugh front and centre, and lack actual Thunderbolt Ross because William Hurt died, it’s just not really the sort of thing I want to watch at all. It’s crazy to me that with all the characters at their disposal, including the X-Men, Fantastic Four and so forth, they choose to do yet another movie with D tier characters. Especially when the ones rumoured to be in it are 90% just random military types like Yelena Belova, Winter Soldier, Taskmaster, U.S.Agent and so forth. Rant over.

Edited on by nessisonett

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett I just stopped caring about it all. I've watched a bit of Wandavison and although it was not bad or anything, I just wasn't interested enough to keep watching. I'm the same with Star Wars too.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder @Nessisonett I gave up on Marvel after "Endgame" - it seemed like a logical stepping off point and I was already feeling the superhero fatigue by that point. I kept on and on trying to like "Star Wars" past the disappointment of the prequels and into Disney era but a few fits and spurts (such as "KOTOR" and the excitement surrounding "The Force Awakens") aside I eventually had to concede defeat and give it up as a bad game. Ditto "Star Trek" post Berman. Ditto "Doctor Who" post RTD/Moffat. They'll all spin back around, I'm sure but I'll probably be too old to pay attention by that point!

LN78

Col_McCafferty

@nessisonett yeah, it seems like they're deliberately waiting for the dust to settle on Endgame before going full in with the characters obtained from Fox.

The Avengers vs X-Men has to be the next big event, assuming the Fantastic Four will be part of the former.

I've recently watched the mainline Avengers films (inc my second favourite Civil War) and they're really good but almost too good and too final, needed to take a slower pace.

Of the Disney shows, finished Loki the other day and this might be my favourite. I did enjoy both Wandavision and Falcon & Soldier, but Loki really did add a lot to the character and was very entertaining.

Col_McCafferty

MightyDemon82

@Nessisonett @JohnnyShoulder @LN78 @Col_McCafferty

The last Marvel movie I watched was Endgame in the cinema. I enjoyed it, but kind of feel that it was a good way to finish off the franchise, Same with Star Wars RoS, haven't bothered with D+. As much I enjoy both universes, as a 40 y/o man I'm looking to experience newer more grittier worlds with real consequences which I feel is missing from Marvel/Star Wars under the Disney banner.

MightyDemon82

LN78

@MightyDemon82 Give "For All Mankind" on Apple a try if you haven't already. Season 3 has just kicked off and it's absolutely terrific.

LN78

MightyDemon82

@LN78 I actually still have Apple TV, let my free trial run over so I'll check it out thanks.

MightyDemon82

LN78

@MightyDemon82 It starts off as an alternate history - essentially what would have happened to the geopolitical situation in the world had the Soviets won the space race and put a person on the moon before the Americans and then it slowly evolves into a kind of proto "Star Trek". Really good stuff.

LN78

MightyDemon82

@LN78 Now you have really sold me on it. Will start watching it once I'm done with Stranger things and Better call Saul!

MightyDemon82

LN78

@MightyDemon82 "BCS" has been amazing. I can't wait for the second half of the season!

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic