Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 5,781 to 5,800 of 8,906

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Think his Batman’s just using tank controls 😂😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@Jimmer-jammer I got you, and I'm grateful for you taking the time to explain your perspective! Your take on it makes me think that it'll actually work well when watched in smaller chunks, using its own embedded sub-sections as natural pausing places. Almost like reading a story across six issues of a comic book, rather than binge-reading the hardback volume months later. The movie's visual storytelling was incredibly strong (it's why I think I like Mr. Snyder's work, as his flair for powerful imagery reminds me of another director I adore, who boasts similar strengths) and as soon as you mentioned the Amazonian sequence, I knew exactly what you meant. It's what the previous cut was missing.

@Th3solution Oooooh, would be very interested to read what you make of The Falcon & the Winter Solider when you're done with it! Good choice, no matter the outcome.

Hmm. Not sure what to recommend, really. I jumped straight to the Snyder Cut, but only because I've watched both Man of Steel and Batman V Superman at least three times each, and they're not exactly the oldest films. I wanted to re-watch BvS again, but after thinking about it for a couple seconds, I realised I could recall almost the entire script, word-for-word.

Superman does have a nice character arc across the trilogy, but it isn't as front and centre in Justice League because he's suddenly got all these other heroes to share screentime with. If you're gonna do anything, watch BvS first. It shares the strongest connections.

But otherwise, I think you'd be okay jumping straight in. You're reminded of all the salient points.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Jimmer-jammer

@RogerRoger if you don’t mind me asking, who is the other director? I’m a sucker for powerful visual storytelling 😄

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

RogerRoger

@Jimmer-jammer Apologies, my friend. I made that sound so highbrow and esoteric. You're gonna be so disappointed when I tell you that I was referring to George Lucas!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Jimmer-jammer

@RogerRoger only disappointed so far as not learning of some visual wizard I had not heard of as I agree that George Lucas is a powerful visual storyteller. Some of his scriptwriting on the other hand…🤷‍♂️

Full disclosure: my favourite Star Wars is Episode 1, so on the topic of Star Wars, you know the level of tastelessness you’re dealing with here.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

RogerRoger

@Jimmer-jammer When ranking the movies by themselves, The Phantom Menace occupies my top slot as well, so you're in good company with me. George Lucas might only be average-to-good at dialogue, but the broad strokes and themes of his stories are genius, and his presentation of the whole saga more than makes up for any momentary conversational shortcomings.

After all, a picture says a thousand words, as @nessisonett just demonstrated!

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I’ve warmed on The Phantom Menace in recent years. It’s a very very silly movie and Jar Jar and Anakin are still pants but it has Darth Maul and Qui-Gon so it balances out. It’s worth it just for the Battle of Naboo and the fight at the end if nothing else. Plus it spawned Lego Star Wars so there’s that!

RogerRoger

@nessisonett I still remember running through the house, screaming, because I'd won a competition for some of those first LEGO sets. I got a Naboo Starfighter and the Gungan Sub. It was proper wizard.

Making It So Since 1987

Jimmer-jammer

@RogerRoger @nessisonett Duel of Fates stands as one of the finest pieces of music I’ve ever heard, and the entire sequence it’s used in is brilliant.

@JechtUltima I’ve never been a massive Star Wars fan, though I do enjoy them. Unfortunately, to some of my friends, just enjoying them wasn’t enough, like me not being a rabid fan meant I was just “missing something”. I’ll never forget going to watch Attack of the Clones in theatres. My ticket was paid for me and it was going to “blow our minds” after the horrible Phantom Menace (which I thoroughly enjoyed but no one else seemed to). Yeah, it was an interesting drive home 😂

nessisonett

@JechtUltima Fantastic 4 2005 is bad but it’s not Fan4stic bad. Mostly because it has the man, the myth, the legend Ioan Gruffudd in it.

nessisonett

@JechtUltima But it had Julian McMahon as well. That’s literally two of my favourite actors in the one movie. And then the newer one had Toby Kebbell. It’s like they’re movies made for me except for the fact they’re utterly dire.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Oh I didn't know Toby (yes, first name terms these days) was in the recent Fantastic Four. Will have to give it a watch now. Maybe.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

BearsEatBeets

I held off watching The Falcon & Winter Soldier show as I felt I wanted to reacquaint myself with the characters first (same for Loki). At first I was going to just watch the Cap films and maybe the last 2 avengers movies but after re-watching Captain America I felt like watching Iron Man again. So now it's turned into re-watching the whole saga (even Thor:Dark World).

I noticed Disney+ had a chronological list of the movies so decided to watch in that order, although Captain Marvel came after Iron Man as that's when I decided to go with it. Plus you have to ignore the post credit scene for that. The more films I watch it feels like it's pretty much the release order except for that film anyway.
So far I've done
Captain America
Iron Man
Captain Marvel
Iron Man 2 (which I now realise has future Psylocke and Sue Storm in but as other people)
Thor
Avenger Assemble
Thor Dark World
Iron Man 3
Captain America Winter Soldier (still a high point for the saga).

Enjoying the films pretty much as I remember them with the Thor films still a weak area but enjoyable enough. Also worth noting the true heroes of the saga are these guys
Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by BearsEatBeets

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

JohnnyShoulder

@JechtUltima I did have to Google him, but yeah I've quite liked him in what films I remember him appearing in. If it is in 4k, I'll give it a watch!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

NedStarksGhost

Not long returned home from the cinema for the first time since pre-covid, and chose to watch Free Guy. Absolutely loved it, think it's a great film, very fun and obviously for us gamers it's even better.

I expected to enjoy it going in, and I liked it even more than I thought I would.

Edited on by NedStarksGhost

NedStarksGhost

Ralizah

Just watched The Tale of Princess Kaguya on HBO Max, and... I'm stunned. Simply Takahata's best work, and up there with some of my favorite Studio Ghibli films overall. One of the most beautifully animated films I've ever seen.

@NedStarksGhost Cool. Going to see that on Sunday. I was hoping it'd be decent.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah I saw that in the last few weeks, it is on Netflix here in the UK.

Although not up there for me with my favourite Studio Ghibli films, I still enjoyed it and I can't deny how gorgeous it looked.

How do feel about them trying CGI films? I know a few people are totally against it. I'm ok with it as long as the films are good and they still make the more traditional animated films.

Ralizah

@JohnnyShoulder Sorry to disappoint, but I'm terribly opposed to it. Ghibli is/was an exemplar of the artform of 2D animation, and one of the last major animation studios that's still releasing almost fully hand-drawn films.

I'm not inherently opposed to CGI films, or even anime. I saw a Lupin the 3rd movie a while back that had Dreamworks-style CG animation, and it looked... OK. I thought it was a good film. I don't want that to be every Lupin, but I wouldn't mind seeing a line of Lupin films in that style if they continue to be well-written.

But that's not Ghibli. Ghibli has a certain legacy and place in the industry, and them developing CG movies is an almost full betrayal of that.

Films like Princess Kaguya are a perfect demonstration of the inimitability of traditional animation when proper passion and emotion is put behind it. There are sequences in that film where the very animation frames are so loaded with emotion that it'd be literally impossible for a computer to recreate them.

I suppose there's a certain sadness in that it's probably one of the last great Ghibli films we'll get. Takahata is dead now, leaving us one last masterpiece before departing from the Earth. Miyazaki, honestly, has been checked out for years, even before his supposed "retirement" started (and abruptly ended, lol), and his son just isn't up to the task of leading the animation house in his stead. It's a pity he gave in to nepotistic impulses instead of trying to find a proper successor to carry on his legacy.

But even if Ghibli has become a sort of living museum, it doesn't take away from their former achievements as an animation studio.

@Keith_Zissou I believe My Neighbors the Yamadas was also Takahata. He did Pom Poko as well, where the character designs and animation style changed pretty wildly throughout the film as the tanuki characters learned to control and harness their shape-shifting powers. None of his earlier work was visually playful in the same way, though.

The beauty of Princess Kaguya came at a price. I'm pretty sure it's still the most expensive Japanese film ever made, and it took some 8 years to come together. That... just doesn't happen anymore. CGI is so much cheaper and more convenient for use in animation.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

ralphdibny

Watched the new bill and ted film yesterday (after rewatching the old ones). It's actually a really nice film. It felt a bit awkward in the first few minutes but I actually loved it in the end. Wicked film

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic