Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 5,301 to 5,320 of 8,918

TheFrenchiestFry

I'd definitely pick that up physically. Especially if they come out with one of those steelbooks with commemorative art by Jim Lee (DC Comics artist) like they did for Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman and the theatrical version of Justice League

I was super pleasantly surprised by how the movie turned out considering how on and off I was about the other DC films he directed.

I know the second disc is likely the Ultra HD 4K version of the film but I wonder if they're also going to release the "Justice is Gray" version physically given Snyder seems particularly proud of that variant of the film

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry I’m definitely going to watch the B&W version but we didn’t get it over here in the UK so hopefully it arrives on the 4K Blu-Ray. The cinematography was already breathtaking but the trailers for the B&W version are even better looking.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett I started watching it yesterday. The movie honestly looks tailor made for monochrome presentation

It's probably better suited for that kind of presentation than Logan Noir was

TheFrenchiestFry

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry I was hoping I could see it but it’s only the HD colour version over here.

JohnnyShoulder

@TheFrenchiestFry Apparently it is 2 disks just for the 4K version, . When I rent the films I only get the 4k disk when available, that is what i've seen been listed. It could be the extra versions like the black and white versions, or the special features are also in 4K which is not the norm. Tenet was listed as 2 disks but the film was only on the first disk.

Untitled

And yeah, a steel book version has been confirmed.

Untitled

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a35906273/zack-snyder-justi...

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Thank goodness, cheers for the heads-up. I'll look to pre-order that sharpish.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger No problem. I think the steel book is exclusive to HMV, who I've used before online. Sometimes they can take a bit to dispatch stuff, but they always email to keep you updated. They also have regular 2 for 30 quid deals on 4K disks which I taken advantage of on a few occasions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

ralphdibny

@Th3solution bit late to the convo but I just see your thoughts on Blade Runner 2049. I absolutely love that movie. It's such a slow burn with absolutely stunning shots. Great acting with compelling characters.

I think it's way better than the original. It's annoying because I know there is a good movie somewhere in the original but with 5 different edits of the film, I don't know which one. It's just a really obtuse film to get into because of that.

Im cautiously optimistic for the Denis Villeneuve Dune film based on my experience of 2049 and also the bit of Arrival that I've seen (didn't have time to sit and watch the whole movie but I will return one day). I'm completely in love with the original Dune though, it's just so barmy and trippy with so much information to take in. I highly rate it.

See ya!

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Appreciate it, although you sound like you work for them!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

So Godzilla vs. Kong is out and I’m suddenly interested. Probably because it’s free to stream for 30 days and so I feel the urgency to get to it more quickly than otherwise. However, I never took the time to watch either Godzilla: King of Monsters (I think that was the name) or Kong: Skull Island. Apparently this new movie is an actual sequel to those two? Just confirming if anyone knows if I need to watch those first. I did watch Godzilla from like 7 years ago, but it’s been a while and I remember very little. I don’t think I cared for it much. Anyways, any advice? Do I need to set aside 6-8 hours this month for the whole trilogy or just jump straight to G v K? Or none of the above?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RR529

@Th3solution, Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, & Godzilla VS Kong are all part of the same shared universe.

I don't think the narrative would be so convoluted that you'd need to watch the earlier films though, as the first 3 really only had small Easter eggs referencing each other telling eagle eyed viewers "hey, this is in the same universe!".

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Th3solution

@RR529 Ok, thanks! Any opinion about the quality of the films? I seem to remember the G:KoM and K:SI films being well thought of

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

TheFrenchiestFry

@Th3solution I actually thought Godzilla 2014 was really good

It deemphasized Godzilla's actual presence until the third act but even then the human characters were well developed enough where you could feel the ramifications of how much of a natural threat him and the MUTO were to everyday civilian life, which was especially helped by how shots were framed from the ground level perspective like you're there with people as destruction is ensuing

I honestly think it's a better film than KoM. KoM sounded like it would be amazing but it focused on really flat, almost cartoony human characters and the monster fights were still hard to follow due to most of them taking place in rain or in complete darkness

TheFrenchiestFry

Ralizah

I really liked King of the Monsters. It wasn't high art, but the visual design was amazing, and it was fun seeing big-budget hollywood Ghidorah. And it certainly beat the previous movie, where 90% of it was spent following a human storyline that was actively pretty mediocre, and then Godzilla spends the last bit of the movie fighting random scrub monsters nobody cares about.

I mean, I know boring the viewer senseless with terrible human drama is a Godzilla film tradition, but it's not one I'd like to see repeated.

Skull Island was golden, though. Loved that movie.

Also excited to watch Kong vs Godzilla. Hopefully Kong tries to choke Godzilla with a tree again!

@Th3solution KotM and Skull Island are both very much worth watching if you're in for fun kaiju action. If you only watch one, though, make it Skull Island, as it works both narratively and as an action movie, where KotM is pure dumb action movie fluff.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

Godzilla was a bit of a drag to watch for the most i found. When Godzilla did show up it was cool. King of Monsters was allright i suppose. The monster battles were a visual and audio treat, but the rest of the film felt a bit naff. Too many annoying humans making too many annoying decisions saying too many annoying things. This annoyed me. And Skull Island... I have seen this but don't remember much about it. Was a weird mix of Vietnam War movie and a King Kong movie... I think?

RR529

Movies I watched last weekend.

the Lady & the Tramp 2019 (Disney+) - Another live action Disney remake, this time a doggy love story that follows Lady, the pampered pet of an upper crust early 20th century couple, as she meets up and gets romanced by Tramp, a street wise stray with a distrust of humans.

It was cute, but otherwise nothing else much to say about it.

Content Guide:

Language (None)

Violence (None)

Nudity/Sex (None)

the Black Cauldron (Disney+) - A mid 80's effort from the house of mouse, it's a traditional fantasy yarn in which the young farmhand Taran dreams of heroic adventure. Be careful what you wish for however, as he finds himself guardian of an oracle pig named Hen Wen, and when the villainous Horned King seeks out the oinker in order to locate the wearabouts of the titular Black Cauldron (housing the soul of an evil king, it can be used to summon an army of the undead), Taran finds himself thrust into the adventure he's always wanted.

I've heard that this was much darker than most other Disney fare, and that rings true. The Horned King has a genuinely frightening design, and an absolute ton of effort went into making his castle absolutely hauntingly nightmarish, with some fantastic special effects on display. Unfortunately that's all the film really has going for it, with a plot & cast that's generic to a fault (I didn't even take to the comic relief sidekick creature thing), it took me a whole day after the fact to even remember the main kid's name.

Content Guide:

Language (None)

Violence (Mild) - Just some bloodless cartoon fantasy swordplay.

Nudity/Sex (None)

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Jaz007

@rogerroger, maybe I missed it, but what did you think of Zach Snyder’s Justice League cut?

Jaz007

Jaz007

I liked Godzill:KoM, but I thought the fights could’ve been better. I hate one-sides fights where the the main character gets defeated and gets a power (radiation) somehow that makes it a different one sided fight where the “hero” wins, it would have been much better to have pitched thought out fights.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

nessisonett

@RR529 I thought Lady and the Tramp really could have done with a bit more language, violence and nudity/sex.

RogerRoger

@Jaz007 Thanks for asking; unfortunately, I haven't seen it yet. The UK's worst streaming service got the exclusive rights and so, rather than pay over-the-odds to "enjoy" something akin to a YouTube video, I'm gonna have to wait patiently for the Blu-Ray.

Am real excited, though, particularly after everybody's posts in this topic. What did you think of it?

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic